Why did handhelds get screwed out of arcade controls?

Jayinem81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean how cool would have it been to play this?

aid1338118-v4-728px-Find-Shortcuts-on-Mario-Kart-DS-Step-1-Version-2.jpg

With these

drivingforce-feature-1-desktop.png

Or use this

aimtrak_housing_od5v-hi_iplx-3k.jpg

To shoot at this

450px-Nintendo-3DS-AquaOpen.png

And finally this

ddfdfdfdfd.jpg

To play this

hqdefault.jpg

So many missed opportunities.

Last edited by Jayinem81,

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by UltraSUPRA,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody in the history of ever wanted to play mario kart in any kind of competitive or even just for fun with a wheel?
I can sort of see some of the really nice wheels and wrap around monitors doing for a simulation game.

Anyway wireless controls were hard around the time those things were released (even by the DS* things were still all about custom RF rather than bluetooth. To the person thinking about bringing up IR then think long and hard before you do that one.) and wired controls into that sort of thing is a dubious prospect (all those damaged controls/ports/consoles...).

*which we might also want to remember did not have full wifi until a firmware update to enable it. That might have been patents/licensing concerns, and some of the same might be said for bluetooth.

The general lack of TV out is pretty shameful though, even as a secondary device.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does buttons on a lever stick really count?
Well the reviews of it I have read seem to think it counts. Here is just one as an example

In at Number 1 is the Hyperboy for the original DMG. This is a rare bit of kit when it comes to GameBoy accessories, and we were lucky to come across it when we did! You might be wondering what the heck this thing is, which is good because otherwise, I wouldn’t have anything to talk to you about. This little device made by Konami basically turns your original GameBoy into an arcade machine. We’re talking about recreating those nostalgic moments down at the arcade, blasting through the best Neo-Geo games and button mashing to your heart’s content. The unit itself is pretty simple to work – just slot your DMG in and you’re good to go. If you’re looking at playing your favourite titles on a screen and don’t want to purchase the Retron Jr then this could be a neat little accessory for your collection.

https://retrododo.com/gameboy-accessories/

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That might be the first time I have ever seen a controller overlay device, much less one on the end of a lever rod, be dubbed worth the effort. It is rare enough that you get an utterly passive clip on rigid (silicone type stuff tending to be written off more as protection than comfort) shell that is worth the effort.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: