Why can't you just use the SD memory stick to run CFW and Roms

Swing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a brand new 3ds. And while I've been waiting for the good games to come out I keep thinking about how I hacked both my PSP 1000 and PSP 3000 using the memory stick for it to install all my CFWs and games to run off of. So my question is why do you have to buy a special cartridge like the R4 to hack the 3ds? Why can't I just use my memory card for it to do everything? It just doesn't make sense to me that you have to use 2 seperate components to hack a 3DS to run homebrew etc... Can somebody please enlighten me?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
There were so many things wrong with that post.

1) The 3DS has not been hacked; rather the DS-mode was mostly unmodified.
2) No CFWs have been made. We don't know how. As of yet I don't even think the 3DS NAND has been dumped.
3) Nintendo is not stupid enough to let you run modified software off of the SD Card.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Swing said:
I just bought a brand new 3ds. And while I've been waiting for the good games to come out I keep thinking about how I hacked both my PSP 1000 and PSP 3000 using the memory stick for it to install all my CFWs and games to run off of. So my question is why do you have to buy a special cartridge like the R4 to hack the 3ds? Why can't I just use my memory card for it to do everything? It just doesn't make sense to me that you have to use 2 seperate components to hack a 3DS to run homebrew etc... Can somebody please enlighten me?
if your such a wiz at hacking why dont you search in the right forum for one i.e. the hacking forum as you would find your answer there...also if your such a hacking wiz why dont you hack the 3ds or is it because you dont know how to hack(write the actual code) you know how to mod....modding is using someone elses HACK to do such things....dont worry.... the dsi has been out several years and still has not been hacked(it too has a sd slot in the side), so dont hold your breath.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Because NO ONE has made a hack for that yet... even then did you hear any news about being able to do that?
that and these are completely different things... running form that slot and from the memory card.

andibad

Soon™
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
is impossible to do that, SD card is only store you digital data and not ROM data, it will never read/load a sys/bin/nds (it never run without modified your 3DS) data, it will skipped...

Uuwuwu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
andibad said:
is impossible to do that, SD card is only store you digital data and not ROM data, it will never read/load a sys/bin/nds (it never run without modified your 3DS) data, it will skipped...
Ooof... I smell Google Translation...

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Epic fail of a thread.... next time try putting your question into the google search first as you would have had your answer with a hell of a lot less snark from people like me.... please end thread, question regrettably answered, dont post to repeat what is already said here, kill the *** thread.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
1) We haven't even hacked the DSi to the point of having CFW or running DSiware yet.
2) We haven't even hacked the 3DS.
3) Please use the search function next time.
4) Flash carts don't hack the 3DS/DSi/DS Lite. They merely circumvent software in place that normally should block the usage of unlicensed cartridges.

I'm sorry for being so blunt, but ever since I convinced a lot of my friends to get their own flash carts for their new DS's instead of borrowing mine, I've had to answer so many questions like these that it's unreal...

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
we don't have any kexploit for the ds/3ds that will allow us to softmod it to the extent of loading commercial ROMs or homebrews.

There was once an exploit on one of the dsi wares (that has already been pulled out and patched) that allowed homebrews to load without flashcarts - not ROMs.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa! So much hostility for our group.
First of all, Welcome to GBAtemp. We're glad to have you here, and we all had questions which were considered "stupid" by the people who have been a part of the NDS scene for years.
Some people seem to have forgotten that fact.

Swing said:
So my question is why do you have to buy a special cartridge like the R4 to hack the 3ds? Why can't I just use my memory card for it to do everything?

Okay, that's a pretty easy question.
As of yet there is no hack that works directly through the SD slot.
However Slot 1 (in the 3DS...yes, even though I'm using DS lite terminology) does have limited functionality at this time.
And to adapt a memory card to Slot 1 requires a flashcart.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm moving this thread to Introductions where we might be able to answer some of your questions in a less hostile environment.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lolz just realized it was his first post....he's never gone come back now after all that flame we threw at him.....

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh this is an introduction now
unsure.gif

Well I can't help you with your problem nor really have the answer that hasn't already been said, so I will just greet you
happy.gif

Welcome to GBAtemp!
Remember the Rules or you shall be attack by The Angry Cavalry!
yay.gif

Enjoy your stay?
mthrnitesmiley.gif

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
andibad said:

Impossible?
Where did you get this information?

If it is impossible to store any form of "rom" on the SD card why would Nintendo make it so you could put a SD card of up to 32GB?
They plan to release the e-shop (today if I'm not mistaken), at some point you'd fill up the internal memory of your 3DS with games you've bought and downloaded from there.
Then what? if you want to buy more games you have to delete the ones you've already purchased?
That would be a bad marketing scheme as you'd have to re-download the games you deleted if you wanted to play them again....oh but wait then you'd have to make room for that as well.

In short, it is most likely that you WILL be able to store and run games on the SD card that you have bought from the e-shop (for starters look at the Wii you can store and play virtual content from the SD card).

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkWay said:
andibad said:

Impossible?
Where did you get this information?

If it is impossible to store any form of "rom" on the SD card why would Nintendo make it so you could put a SD card of up to 32GB?
They plan to release the e-shop (today if I'm not mistaken), at some point you'd fill up the internal memory of your 3DS with games you've bought and downloaded from there.
Then what? if you want to buy more games you have to delete the ones you've already purchased?
That would be a bad marketing scheme as you'd have to re-download the games you deleted if you wanted to play them again....oh but wait then you'd have to make room for that as well.

In short, it is most likely that you WILL be able to store and run games on the SD card that you have bought from the e-shop (for starters look at the Wii you can store and play virtual content from the SD card).
i actually had this problem on my dsi... i spent over $200 on dsi-ware and i could never fill the menu with my games and apps because it did not allow you to play even their software from the sd slot. you had to transfer it to the menu and make room. i always had like 15 open slots depending on how big the game app was. lets hope they fixed that with the 3ds though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Hi

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...