GCN Why can't you just copy a GC Disk 1:1 ? How does the GC prevent that?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's a myth, the disc is not spinning backward, nor is written in reversed order (side to center).

a very good website (unfortunately not online anymore) explained how the data was written on the disc.
hopefully, you can still read it thanks to web archive :)
http://web.archive.org/web/20080619172414/http://www.ingenieria-inversa.cl:80/?p=9

having a non standard layout, only one computer DVD drive model could read it without rejecting the disc.

the author (xt5) released a program which applied that structure information to unscramble (re-position/shift) the data in order to allow standard disc reader/writer to understand the data. if you have a burned disc, it has already been "shifted".
real 1:1 disc image are not really 1:1 or they couldn't be understood by the burner program if they were burned right away. 1:1 dump are raw (the first Wii disc were raw and couldn't be burned as ISO).
"1:1" as people know it are in fact restructured to be standard ISO9660.
I'm not sure about GC disc format, but the site is explaining GOD/WOD format as if it was the same.

edit:
the web archive is not properly formating the text, for users who are really interested about the layout structure, here is the correct one :

DVD-ROM:

4bytes 2bytes 6bytes 2048bytes 4bytes
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
| ID | IED | CPR_MAI | User Data Frame | EDC |
^ | 2048bytes cipher stream |
^ - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
scrambling
seed index

Gamecube/WII Optical Disc:

4bytes 2bytes 2048bytes 6bytes 4bytes
| ID | IED | User Data Frame | unknown | EDC |
| 2048bytes cipher stream |
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

that website was also later responsible for TruchaSigner (program to decrypt/extract/inject/resign Wii discs, back in 2008) and another program did the same thing and was more known and still used nowadays (Wiiscrubber).

Last edited by Cyan,

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's a myth, the disc is not spinning backward, nor is written in reversed order (side to center).

a very good website (unfortunately not online anymore) explained how the data was written on the disc.
hopefully, you can still read it thanks to web archive :)
http://web.archive.org/web/20080619172414/http://www.ingenieria-inversa.cl:80/?p=9

having a non standard layout, only one computer DVD drive model could read it without rejecting the disc.

the author (xt5) released a program which applied that structure information to unscramble (re-position/shift) the data in order to allow standard disc reader/writer to understand the data. if you have a burned disc, it has already been "shifted".
real 1:1 disc are not really 1:1 if they can be burned right away. 1:1 dump are raw (the first Wii disc were raw and couldn't be burned as ISO).
I'm not sure about GC disc format, but the site is explaining GOD/WOD format as if it was the same.

edit:
the web archive is not properly formating the text, for users who are really interesting about the technical layout, here is the correct one :

DVD-ROM:

4bytes 2bytes 6bytes 2048bytes 4bytes
| ID | IED | CPR_MAI | User Data Frame | EDC |
^ | 2048bytes cipher stream |
^ - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
scrambling
seed index

Gamecube/WII Optical Disc:

4bytes 2bytes 2048bytes 6bytes 4bytes
| ID | IED | User Data Frame | unknown | EDC |
| 2048bytes cipher stream |
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

that website was also later responsible for TruchaSigner (program to decrypt/extract/inject/resign Wii discs, back in 2008) and another

Alright thank you, it seems like theres much more behind it then I thought. :unsure:
Allthough a DVD Drive with the right firmware could be an Idea, but thats just me guessing. If it was that easy, there would be tools ect. already. ;)

Reactions: MeAndHax
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • YajuShinki @ YajuShinki:
    Hey, how long has this GBAtemp chat thing been around for? I mostly just lurk around the site, so I probably just haven't noticed it until now
    Gift
  • RichardTheKing @ RichardTheKing:
    Since the site update last month, or thereabouts.
    Gift
    Used to be a Shoutbox solely on the front page, that you could remove if you edited your front page layout, but now it's its own thing that hovers wherever you go. No escaping the General Chit-Chat box. It follows you everywhere!
    Gift
    ...Unless you disable it, anyway.
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So when I post about Pokemon mating habits here, everyone can see it? Hmmm muhahaha!!!
    Gift
    Joke's on you, I'm into that
    Gift
    Squirtle use handy!!!
    Gift
    It was super effective, Pikachu fainted
    Gift
    I'm thinking of modding my Switch but am a bit nervous about it
    Gift
  • BulletExodus @ BulletExodus:
    Modding for the first time is a bit daunting. But you get used to the process the more you decide to update, add things, etc.
    Gift
    What model Switch do you have? If you have a launch-model Switch, then you can do the really easy RCM exploit. It's easiest if you buy a jig, which are cheap, since you'll need to connect two pins within the right JoyCon rail whilst holding down Power and Volume Up.
    Gift
    If you have a more recent Switch model, that exploit has unfortunately been patched...
    Gift
  • TheLiamChannel @ TheLiamChannel:
    hi everyone!
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    i have a unpatched switch i should probably hack it
    Gift
    i have haked a 3ds once before
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    we all have
    +1
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    I did it to all of mine.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    They all have hardware faults now.
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    I got mine prehacked and paid around the same for today standards
    Gift
    It's basically impossible to find one in good condition for around $150 now days
    Gift
  • El_Doot @ El_Doot:
    I hacked a wii u
    Gift
  • El_Doot @ El_Doot:
    like a true gamer
    +1
    Gift
    Wiiu is easier to hack imo you just drag over 3 or 4 folders
    Gift