Why can't softmod read at 6x speed and only 3x?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by turok4n64, Mar 4, 2009.

1. turok4n64
    OP

Newcomer turok4n64 Advanced Member

United States
    Is there some reasoning behind this? It just seems with all the hacking that has occured on the Wii that this would have been fixed along time ago.

2. xDarkElement

Member xDarkElement GBAtemp Regular

United States
    its because of the drivers firmware

3. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    The backup loader uses (or used to use?) the DVDX library. The library has the limitation of only allowing DVD drive access at 3x, which is something that we haven't been able to workaround at the moment.

4. iResilient

Newcomer iResilient Member

United States
    This question is asked way too much. It's like I see a thread like this every other day. xP

It's because the disc drive's firmware on the Wii was originally meant to play DVDs for playback so they made it 3x, but that never happened so the DVD read speed just stayed at 3x. The good thing about this is if you play GC backups, the GC games won't lag since the disc drive reads GC games at 3x as well.

5. dlxowhd

Member dlxowhd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    this is the 312th time the exact same question has been asked on this forum.

6. SirTempest

Member SirTempest GBAtemp Regular

Germany

7. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    if you dont like it you have two options, 1.install a modchip 2.fix it your own damn self

8. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the following should be pretty accurate.

The security check on the wii is the same system used by the GC It's self. The disks are pressed with a special bar code that tells the drive exactly how to read it. The Backup launcher actually uses a feature that was built into the drive for video playback purpose. The system was intended to support DVD Playing. This feature was abandoned do to license issues..... Why N left the video mode in the drive is beyond me........ Regardless the loaders exploit this feature to bypass the security checks. unfortunately do to the bypass the wii doesn't recognize the disk as a WOD (Wii Optical Disk) But rather a DVD and therefore forces the drive to run at only 3x. There is no way to bypass the security check and allow the system to see the disk as a WOD without a modchip. The check is performed completely within the DVD Drive it's self and therefore it has no comunication with the system to determine the disk type, because of that there is no way a homebrew app on the system can spoof the drivechip response to the drive. In short there is no way in hell to do it with software. (Unless you are able to find a way to modify the wii's drive firmware)

9. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States

Because you touch yourself at night...

10. Raziel5000

Member Raziel5000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I threw a modchip in mine, fix the problem. woot. i fixed mine and touch myself lots daily!!

11. WalkerOfTheDay

Member WalkerOfTheDay GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    It has been fixed, and even faster !! Look for 12XSPEEDUP-64.WAD.

12. AkGBA

Member AkGBA GBAtemp Regular

France
    Come on, let's try to be serious here. Stop BSing him.