Why buy modchips over Chiip?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by quadomatic, May 17, 2007.

1. quadomatic
    OP

quadomatic GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    This may seem like a strange question, but why does anyone bother buying a Wiikey, or any other mod chip when building a Chiip seems so easy?

2. zosh

zosh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2007
    Papua New Guinea
    For the same reason as any other DIY project, electronics or otherwise: Many people prefer to pay for manufactured goods instead of investing time, energy, and money into building them themselves with uncertain results.

It's a valid decision. I built a Chiip and a programmer and tought myself to solder for it, it was great fun and a very satisfying experience when it all worked. Even though economically it was a bad decision since I could've made much more money in the time I invested in it than a commercial modchip and its installation would've cost. No regrets though.

3. Hooya

Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    I wonder the same thing. I install chips locally and so far out of around 20 installs only two have wanted WiiKey, all the rest went with WiiFree since I provided it for them for a nominal fee. I make a couple bucks more and they don't have to pay $30+ and shipping.

Heck, even if you don't want to go through building and programming your own WiiFree or Chiip, you can purchase pre-programmed chips for around $3.

4. Louse76

Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 7, 2007
    United States
    Deltona, FL USA
    Who's selling pre-programmed chips for $3? Right.

Anyhow, clones are cheap. And when you get over a certain age, your time is actually worth money.

I work 55+ hrs per week, plus modding and other side projects, etc. That just wouldn't be worth my time at this point. However it's something I want to look toward in the future.

5. icewarp

icewarp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2006
    Brazil
    Araras - SP
    ArenĀ“t there technical differences between them?

6. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

Dec 27, 2006
    Hull/Manchester, UK
    I'd rather get a wiifree than a chiip.... only 8 pin PIC required

7. shtonkalot

shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

May 28, 2006
    Gosford, Australia
    I believe Hooya may be refering to this place: ATVGC

8. Hooya

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    That's not actually the site I saw, but I can't remember what I saw, so that works! You can also get a programmer package with some PICs from some Ebay sellers for about the cost of a clone modchip anyway, so you can even program your own and you still haven't bothered actually building anything provided you have a serial port on your desktop computer.

9. Hooya

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    by the way, I'm older than you. [​IMG]

10. jaxxster

jaxxster The Heretic

Oct 31, 2006
    South East London
    Because some people dont have the means to make these free chips.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice