Why are you still with Nintendo?

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And, I'm still with Nintendo, and Sony, and Valve.
You show loyalty to a digital distribution platform? Thats like saying you are taking sides with the eShop, PSN or Live.

Would of made more sense if you meant the games they developed (Team Fortress, Half Life, Left 4 Dead)

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
You show loyalty to a digital distribution platform? Thats like saying you are taking sides with the eShop, PSN or Live.

Would of made more sense if you meant the games they developed (Team Fortress, Half Life, Left 4 Dead)
Why is that weird? Steam is an amazing distribution platform for consumers and developers and publishers. I actually WANT my games on Steam, unlike most other distribution platforms. Steam does something for me rather than against me. *Cough* uPlay *cough*Origin*cough*

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is that weird? Steam is an amazing distribution platform for consumers and developers and publishers. I actually WANT my games on Steam, unlike most other distribution platforms. Steam does something for me rather than against me. *Cough* uPlay *cough*Origin*cough*
Because there are much better sales elsewhere, feel free to stick with just steam but you definitely aren't looking hard enough if you think they are the best.

Reactions: wormdood

Touko White

(not)Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have to agree with the mixed opinions in this thread.

While Nintendo have such a high replay value for their older games, and were a great company back then, I've definitely noticed the casual > kids thing over the last 10 years or so. In fact, their UK marketing does not exist other than on children's TV, I only know this because I have a 4 year old sister, and she watches children's TV, and I know there's Nintendo adverts, but not on any other channel in Freeview.

What else can I say?

The quality has also significantly gone down in the last 10 years. Me and my friend (who doesn't even like Nintendo) were talking on Twitter, while of course he likes FPS and such (although I noticed one attractive to me part in his personality - he isn't an outright fanboy, and has tried other games/consoles) - he did admit the older Nintendo games were "OK". He agreed with me, that Nintendo has gone straight down the pan with their quality, he does say there for kids, but I can agree for the games released in the past 10 years. I'm not seeing it anymore.

That's why I refuse to buy the Wii U. The quality has gone down, and the Nintendo 'magic' that seems to be present in the older games, has disappeared since the Wii.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Nintendo has always been a love / hate relationship with me.

Nintendo do some crazy things that make you stop and go "why Nintendo", the most recent one is selling the 3DS XL in the UK without a charger, because they thought everyone would be upgrading from the 3DS and already have one... I thought that was pretty arrogant, like Nintendo didn't expect to gain any new customers such as myself.

When i owned a GameCube it was my first an only console, having mainly been a PC gamer until then. It did annoy me how Nintendo got little 3rd party support and the GameCube seemed to be killed off pretty quick.

However it's the exclusives games that keep me coming back to Nintendo and in all fairness to Nintendo they have tried to innovate a lot.

The only reason i own a 3DS is for Pokemon, however since owning one I have loved the little features like been able to street pass, not that many people in my area / town seem to walk around with a 3DS (can't say i do either) however its a great features when you go to events where other gamers are.

What i do love about the Wii U is the amount of 4+ player games that can be played locally, it's something the Xbox or PlayStation just don't seem to bother with much anymore, which is a real shame as their's nothing better than having a few friends round to play games, rather than play them over the internet.

Nintendo are 10 years behind in areas such as online gaming and digital downloads, however I guess you could say i like that Nintendo is different than Microsoft / Sony too.

As i started with its certainly a love / hate thing, however Pokemon, Mario Kart and perhaps Smash Bros will keep me coming back to Nintendo, even if i don't get the console on launch day. The second revision of Nintendo's handhelds are usually so much better anyway, for example the DS Lite and 3DS XL.

Reactions: Touko White

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Because there are much better sales elsewhere, feel free to stick with just steam but you definitely aren't looking hard enough if you think they are the best.
Well. Where I live, I cannot find any physical media game for PC. No discs, no drives, nothing.

Steam is present here, and even accepts payments with my currency. Discounts are the cheapest around here (since there's no other kind of PC gaming distribution). But if you're talking about Origin or uPlay, I think you should check that again. And the DRM-free pages, well, I've seen GOG and like pages, but I find it easier to have it all in one simple list, ready to be downloaded, or played. That's fine for me.

Anyway, that's off-topic. I still like Nintendo for their well-known franchises. Who could hate Kirby, Mario or Zelda?

Reactions: Touko White

Touko White

(not)Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyway, that's off-topic. I still like Nintendo for their well-known franchises. Who could hate Kirby, Mario or Zelda?
Someone who only played Xbox and thinks it is the first console, and Halo was the first FPS, and Windows 10 is the best OS ever with no spyware will! Heil Microsoft!

Reactions: Olmectron

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm not a Nintendo fan boy, but only a DS and 3DS fan boy.
Or i was Once

Then i bought a new 3DS full price day one.
1st I saw that screen had yellow tint and bad contrast compared to my old 3DS.

Then i discovered i bought a cheap 3DS because nintendo find it's fine to sell 'high quality' and 'poor quality' 3DS in the same store.

I do not trust Nintendo anymore for anything. No more day one buy

my story is so interresting :toot:

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*shrug* I have limited amount of time on games. Responsibilities or something. Anyway, I want the best bang for my buck, and that's nintendo. I play nintendo games for fun, because their 1st party games always have at least a good bit of fun in them, even the "kid" ones. I definitely play my 3ds more than anything else.

I have a PC for any of the ps4 or xbox1 games that I really want to play. Their limited first party offerings aren't usually to my taste, from what I've played on friend's consoles. I'll get a ps4 when kingdom hearts 3 comes out, though. Unless that too is going to PC, in which case I'll just wait.

Last edited by osaka35,

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country
I am feel same... but I do not have Japanese WiiU console here in US. So I understand feeling of Western people when is bring games from Japan with editing! I think I will stay close to nintendo only for Zelda & Smash Bros. Zelda will always be a favorite product and I like to play Smash competively. Perhaps little Mario games... I am no longer become excited for Nintendo. That fire is gone.

Reactions: Tomobobo

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am feel same... but I do not have Japanese WiiU console here in US. So I understand feeling of Western people when is bring games from Japan with editing! I think I will stay close to nintendo only for Zelda & Smash Bros. Zelda will always be a favorite product and I like to play Smash competively. Perhaps little Mario games... I am no longer become excited for Nintendo. That fire is gone.
Are you referring to the censorship issues with nintendo? Is no surpris that it still exist btween Asia and usa, but it's nintendo, we can't really expect much from that part of them. I do disike the ideas of their censorship, but sometimes i also see why it was done, So while is sad they still do it, is also their idea of localization, the unintentional way to market games into ways we feel comfortable, since most people still think USA And ASIA hav two different mind sets when it comes to cuture boundaries.

I would like to have played some exclusive games from japan, but the only way to is learn japanese, import the game or hope it has english subtitles.

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you referring to the censorship issues with nintendo? Is no surpris that it still exist btween Asia and usa, but it's nintendo, we can't really expect much from that part of them. I do disike the ideas of their censorship, but sometimes i also see why it was done, So while is sad they still do it, is also their idea of localization, the unintentional way to market games into ways we feel comfortable, since most people still think USA And ASIA hav two different mind sets when it comes to cuture boundaries.

I would like to have played some exclusive games from japan, but the only way to is learn japanese, import the game or hope it has english subtitles.

While I live in Japan I do not worry such thing or have any idea to start. And now I am Japanese person live in USA. I am now see and experience such thing when they re localize games. I do not like this. I am very use to Japanese original creator vision of their work. I think one reason why western people like many games, doujins, visual novels from Japan is because is have no filter. I have no problem with last thing you are say! :'D But only issue is now only to import my country game through amiami or play-asia? I am pay like 1.5 more when many time ago I buy from local game store... at normal price... (。•́︿•̀。)

(P.S. Who here is excited for reko rabbu?!) (♥ω♥ ) ~♪

Reactions: Shadowfied

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I live in Japan I do not worry such thing or have any idea to start. And now I am Japanese person live in USA. I am now see and experience such thing when they re localize games. I do not like this. I am very use to Japanese original creator vision of their work. I think one reason why western people like many games, doujins, visual novels from Japan is because is have no filter. I have no problem with last thing you are say! :'D But only issue is now only to import my country game through amiami or play-asia? I am pay like 1.5 more when many time ago I buy from local game store... at normal price... (。•́︿•̀。)

(P.S. Who here is excited for reko rabbu?!) (♥ω♥ ) ~♪
Not sure what that reko rabbu game is, sorry

But you are right about what you said, it is true that people prefer the uncut uncensored things from japan, but even japan now starts to censor things, I recently learned that just as backwards oppisites as Japan and usa are.

Japan will censor any content that features realistic content such as god of war while america will not.
At the same time, America will censor anime and cartoon content while Japan will not.
Of course i say this about the already rating system of the ESRB and CERO featuring the blood, violent, sexual content. Is a oddity that i probably don't get but once again, our cultures are diferent about the things thy have and is main reasons why we don't get games, and remains exclusive to japan, and the games america makes remains exclusive to america sometimes.:unsure:

Nintendo's ideals and policies may seem ba and harmful to the reptatuion but is what they believe and i guess they want a certain image to maintain, for what? i dunno, maybe to appeal to wider audiance of gamers instead of the hard core mature or gamers already invested in them.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

NohrPrince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stick with Nintendo only for the games. Zelda has been an important game to me, and I have played and beaten nearly every single game in the series. I love it to death. And they are also behind Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and other franchises that I love, too. As a company, I hate what they do. Their censorship thrown into every jrpg is disgraceful, and ruins a lot of it for me. Many people get sick of hearing us complain about the censorship, but let's face it: we are sick of dealing with the censorship. It's pretty much taking pieces out of a game, no matter how big or small. Fire Emblem, Bravely Second, and now Tokyo Mirage Sessions (which I won't be getting for how horribly they messed it up). This is why I am excited for JRPGs like Persona 5: they won't be censored because they aren't dictated by the toxic Nintendo Treehouse.

Another issue, that has settled down just a bit, are amiibo. I love amiibo and I have collected over 20 of them, but they started off HORRIBLY. They were highly coveted by every Nintendo fan, the preorders crushed Gamestop's servers, and we never got to see certain amiibo in stores. I had to resort to importing for a majority of mine, or just be pure lucky and be there on the day of release. But at least it's toned down just a little bit.

Oh and did I mention how disgusting Color Splash is? Yeah, they need to listen to the fans more if they want to please us.

Other than the godawful censorship and mostly handled amiibo situation, Nintendo is still a beloved company to me. However, I won't support them in many scenarios if they continue on this path of censoring the games we deserve. At this point, I only care for Zelda, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon from them, which is plenty for me. Now, I just continue to wait for Pokemon Moon and Zelda U. But for other games concerning Nintendo, I just look forward to mostly 3rd party games like Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well, for me, Nintendo seems to be the only company that knows how to do handheld consoles right. I don't want a console that can DO everything, if that were the case, I can turn on my smartphone and tap away at games, listen to music, or even have cameras

My only issues with Nintendo is:
- Terrible distribution in NA/Canada - why don't we get events for Pokemon here, or even more launch title events?
- Amiibos - now I don't collect them, but some amiibos are apparently so rare, they cost an arm and a leg here - while I can buy the exact same thing on Amazon from Japan for 60% less than what the NA price is...(And the fact that some characters are so rare they pretty much never existed - I've never seen a Ness amiibo in the wild!)
- terrible eshop/account infrastructure - NNIDs and everything else should not be a thing. There should be one base account with many systems linked to it, and that it can track your purchases and everything else....

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Idk, I always resorted to nintendo when I needed I new handheld. I just betrayed nintendo handhelds once, and was PSP over DS. For some reason DS is not so appealing to me. It's like two GBA stitched badly together, and I already own a GBA. Also the GBA had an amazing amount of cool games, while I personally don't like much the titles of the DS. The PSP also had monster hunter back then, which is mostly why I came back to nintendo with a 2DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.