Why are you still with Nintendo?

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to keep this as peaceful as possible, if you have any criticism make it constructive.

I feel like my excitement for Nintendo has died out since the launch of the Wii in the 7th gen, I would be so excited for what they have to bring at E3 and look forward to upcoming games. I still have fun with Nintendo games but its just their standard "good job" which was not what I experienced during gens 4-6. Game franchises from the Wii and up were really dumb down or luck based so "everyone is a winner" and it just hurts to see how they have evolved or in this case regressed into and making games to appeal to the casuals really bite Nintendo in the ass this time around with the Wii U but there's more to blame than just that.

Other factors that have hindered my enjoyment towards Nintendo are the consistent censorship from NoA, their insistence on maintaining region lock when everyone else has moved on from it (thank you 3DS devs and Loadiine devs), the awful communication towards consumers whether its about how we feel about upcoming games (Federation Force, Color Splash) and the communication with both consumers and retailers about stock supply for collectors/limited edition which only allow for scalpers to prosper while real fans suffer simply because Nintendo chooses to produce no more or in the case with amiibo not properly informing about supply issues and instead giving vague messages about some being discontinued (again giving scalpers more power).

I really enjoyed Club Nintendo and I've always seen it as a loyalty program that Nintendo never owed any of its consumers, it was really turning into a real pile of shit on the way out turning all the rewards into digital only and upsetting long time. To me what made Club Nintendo special was getting rewards that were exclusive to the program that you could wear or decorate to show your loyalty and dedication for all the games you bought (or take off from Gamestops cases they have lying around on their shelves) so seeing digital rewards that anyone can buy themselves from the Wii Shop Channel or eShop didnt feel so special. Everyone had high hopes and expectations for this MyNintendo but I didnt, if Club Nintendo was turning awful on the way out with digital rewards I didn't expect anything different with this but what really surprised me is that it mostly benefits those who pay for their games digitally (I'm a physical owner.) This hasnt really bothered me too much since none of the gold coin rewards are anything for me to be jealous of but I guess its the principle and I feel that physical owners purchases should be treated with the same respect as those who choose to buy digitally. Theres many more problems with MyNintendo but overall its disappointing even though I already expected it to be so.

Then there is Nintendo moving its development with mobile apps, it worries me if any actual game development was taken away to make some shallow mobile game that will be forgotten by the vast majority in a couple months if not sooner but I guess its too soon how the other apps will turn out but Miitomo was not a good first impression of things to come.

Lastly I would like to address how Nintendo has shifted from casual to more kid friendly over the years, I never grew up with the NES (I started with SNES) but I'm pretty sure the focus was not on kids but for everyone, as it should be. The reason I dont like this focus on kids is because the games as a result are either too dumb down or filled with memes in order to get their attention which again brings up the censorship that makes unnecessary changes from the original source material. This recent E3 reveal on what their plans to only show Legend of Zelda really put a damper to the point where I'm not even sure I care to see what Nintendo has to show anymore for the whole event. Its gotten really hard to be excited for Nintendo over the years and I'm just praying and hoping that there's a light at the end of this tunnel but I don't know if I have it in me to continue walking this path just to end up being disappointed.

How does everyone else feel about this?

Last edited by RemixDeluxe,

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like you need a new title. . .
also i agree with everything except the last point i believe that casual is still strong with nintendo maybe not big on wiiu but the 3ds has is fill of casual titles
As I mentioned towards the end I feel the shift is from casual to kid friendly. The way how everything is marketed and games developed is definitely more kid focused, Nintendo was never only about kids before this.

P.S. The title is meant to emphasis on why you are still with Nintendo despite all the flaws I pointed out. Thats all.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I mentioned towards the end I feel the shift is from casual to kid friendly. The way how everything is marketed and games developed is definitely more kid focused, Nintendo was never only about kids before this.

P.S. The title is meant to emphasis on why you are still with Nintendo despite all the flaws I pointed out. Thats all.
that's sort of my point . . . you feel . . . not to call your feelings incorrect but look at this ad for the original nes
First NES commercial - YouTube

i see it being marketed to kids only and directly
. . . in reality what has changed is your age

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nintendo is always hit or miss for me. They can produce great games (SSB), but at the same time also produce games that make me think "That was a waste of money" (PM:SS). And then proceed to make the shitty games canon. Lately, they have been a lot of miss though.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Part of the only thing keeping me using Nintendo products is their first party games. The other part is Pokemon (Pokemon is not a first party game, it's a second party.)
Otherwise I am not an exclusive Nintendo girl, I own and play other systems as well.

Reactions: Deleted User

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
their stuff cativate me so much, other don't call much my atention ...
I have severe critics and stuff I don't like they do/did but still my favourite :/

Kinqdra

GBAtemp's Official T-shirt
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Personally, I am mainly a handheld nintendo fan, so I can't relate to this entirely.

From the moment I got my gameboy color at age six all the way to my 3DS today, I can't say I've ever been let down to the point I'd complain. The library of games, both in quality and quantity, was superb along with all the consoles being, in my case, very durable.

I do also own a Wii but the only time it ever got used was for family holiday reunions.. Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely perfect for those occasions! But as far as solo gaming and online multiplayer goes, the Wii and Wii U just aren't as good as their competitors and I agree they should work more on fulfilling the demands of that share of the audience. It would just make it so much easier to stay completely loyal to them next to sony and microsoft.

As for nintendo club, my country was never eligible to receive any of their newsletter in the first place so yeah... I must say I've been liking them digital gifts haha.

Lastly, as for the mobile app development, I think that as long as it doesn't reflect badly onto their main products, they're free to do whatever they want.

All in all, in my opinion they could very well be leaping into the right direction with the Nintendo NX, just hope it turns out to be as good as I expect it to be.

Reactions: astrangeone

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo games, unique products, experiments with unusual ideas and gimmicks, as seen with various accssories for nes, and other consoles. They are doing what others aren't so is fair to say thats how they survive so long in the industry, unlike some other failed hardware and game developers.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not trying to bash anyone. But you have a good point. It's really frustrating to see Nintendo have those games that make everyone a winner, and not that I'm againsit or anything becuase I do like it. It makes games to easy sometimes. Sometimes so easy I can breeze threw it in a few days *Cough erm Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mario Party 9* but for family use, playing together and chilling out, games like those help keep the drama out of the air.

And yeah it's getting common to see newer consoles starting to fail in the Indurstry once in awhile due to them being so expensive now a days. A PS4 when it had first released was $500 USD per copy. Plus you had to pay for online service which is insane.

I still find older consoles like the GameCube, and Wii good due to its affordabillity, and hacking benifits to make it "better" ;) and its previous game titles. The Wii U had tried to already provide those benifits but failed obviously. Then they released in game DLC, and then in game content, Amibo's, etc...

Nintendo still try's to provide the challenging parts of games, and fun but fails sometimes in attempt to deliver it to certain users at times.

Last edited by petethepug,
Reactions: Ev1l0rd

Judas18

Queen Kunty
Trophies
XP
Country
I think for me it's because they don't seem to be so after my money as say Sony or Microsoft. I've always had Sony consoles and the whole ordeal seems kind of cold with them whereas with Nintendo it feels warmer and more homely. Plus their IP's are so much fun.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, Nintendo since 1985 has prioritized the quality of their games above most other things in gaming industry, when nintendo make mistakes, they apologize for it. They are well respected game company for their hard work in being experimental with hardware, clever ideas for new ways to play games, and various possible things that were unexpected or felt was impossible at the time. Nintendo was responsible for saving video games after the gaming crash of 1983 by using quality control. It seems bad but it made sense.

People seem to trust nintendo even though is visually impossible, The lack of content is worth it over the quality of their products. I have have one game done really well than bunch of games done very poorly. I miss Mr.Iwata nintendo directs, I like seeing creators like Mr Miyamoto watch people play the games he make and enjoy it with his fans, I like watching the ideas they come up with to make the games. Is true some games have questionable things like "What the heck is this, what am i looking at, why nintendo?" But they put work into it like anyone else. While ps3 and Xbox 360 were making advaces in HD, the wii was making advances in new game play methods thatt would be fun for all. HD was of little importance and still probably is, Xenoblade Chronicles is a glorious looking game, with good music and gameplay, Super mario galaxy has great tunes and gimmicks and new fun things, New super mario bros brought New things to a classic game.

Is all about saving tthings and invorgating the things people like with improvements while trying new things as a side project. Weather people know or not, or don't care, they are the reasons why playstation exist, porbably why xbox is a thing, why sonic still has a place on consoles, why most things from the 30 past years are still here, or will bring newer things in the future.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have very mixed feelings towards nintendo these days. While I love my 3DS and have gotten many hours of great games out of it, I really have a hard time keeping faith in nintendo. I think I can rely on them to keep a good handheld on the markets, which will keep me coming back, but they really need to improve their third party support for home consoles if they want me to buy them. I passed on the Wii U for a number of reasons, and I can't say I regret it. The Wii U has good games, but there just aren't enough to justify a purchase from me. I really hope they are able to take their next console in a direction that allows it to have a larger game selection, because I'd like them to succeed. They've made some of my favorite franchises like zelda, fire emblem, and smash bros. I just wont be buying any of their systems until I know they have good support, because its a real hit or a miss with them. I also think they could use some restructuring in their American branch because they tend to be unprofessional and have been doing a pretty poor job lately. Their marketing, localizations, and PR have all been pretty bad recently. Fortunately I think that firing Alison Rapp shows that they are looking to make some improvements.

Reactions: Swiftloke

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: happy birth +1