why are there no ds flash carts

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by dude1, Jul 5, 2006.

Jul 5, 2006

why are there no ds flash carts by dude1 at 9:45 AM (1,964 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. dude1
    OP

Member dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i hear lots of piracy talk on the web even pictures of fake ds games, but when are homebrewers going to get blank flash carts and why hasn't it happened as of yet

2. danielmakana

Newcomer danielmakana Advanced Member

United States
    because DS code can be ran from gba carts. Roms, emulators, homebrew.

3. compi

Member compi GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    Well, there is one already, but it is just 512Mbit, and that is pretty small, forgot the name though, will post it as soon as I remember it [​IMG]
    Then there also is Ninja DS, which is not yet released, and it's a ds flashcart which uses SD memory.

4. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Well there is a product out/soon to be released, but no one has their hands on it as far as I know. Linky

The main problem is that space is pretty tight in there... that flash cart above only has 512Mb (64MB) of space. I can image there being problems cramming something larger in there, and I wouldn't expect the carts to go above 1024mb (max size of a single DS game).

People currently use the GBA slot for DS based solutions because there's more space available for memory, production costs are low and you can use the carts for GBA games as well.

[​IMG]

5. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I'm getting one unit for review. I should receive it next week or a little later.
    Can't wait to try it [​IMG]
    I hope the burner can also dump DS carts...

6. khan

Member khan GBAtemp Maniac

Pakistan
    From what i have heard that ultracard is fake [​IMG]

7. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    Don't hold your breath Costello - I pre-ordered one and it was supposed to be sent out a while ago and should be here by now. It's looking more and more to me like a scam, because my money was taken but the person doesn't reply to e-mails anymore.

I'm hoping it's not the case, but it's not looking good right now.

8. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    where did you both order it from? minionlinestore i suppose? or was it that ioffer page?
    ... mmh ... i thought i read somewhere here on the board that someone received it -- but i can't remember where ... but maybe it was just said to get some people buying it [​IMG]

hopefully everything will turn out fine and this ultraflashpass is not a scam!

9. Rabbi Nevins

Member Rabbi Nevins GBAtemp Regular

United States
    its not

10. Redux

Newcomer Redux Member

Antarctica
    You know for certain because....?

11. meangreenie

Banned meangreenie Banned

United Kingdom
    MiniOnlineStore have been sellers for a long time. I have bought stuff from them.

@ the UFP512, it was delayed and is just now being sent out. There is an explanation and apology about this on the site.

The moan about them being slow to respond to e-mails is true. They do answer eventually though, and everyone does get their goods.

12. XxMxVxPxX

Member XxMxVxPxX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i remmember somebody saying they have one too. and it works perfect. but its only 512Mb. it was something flash 512.

13. ChaosTheorySD

Member ChaosTheorySD GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yes, I recall two people having said they have them. One is the above mwingboy, and the other was meccabolix. However meccabolix said the compatability was bull, while mwingboy aid it was perfect.

... man, I've been playing Phoenix Wright too much. I feel like I'm analyzing conflicting testimonies in court or something. OBJECTION! [​IMG]

Either way, I'm waiting on results from a more reputable source: e.g. Qrayzie or Costello

14. meangreenie

Banned meangreenie Banned

United Kingdom
    'meccabolix' got the UMC not the UFP512, after teething troubles with his UMC, he reported on the Ndsgba website a few key titles that didn't work properly. The site admin said that these would be fixed in the 15th of July update. It will be in interesting to see if this holds true.

'mwingboy' managed to get his before they were even supposedly shipped on the 3rd_July ??

15. Triforce

Member Triforce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Slot 2 flash carts are working so well these days that i dont really see much need for a slot 1 device. At least not at this point in time anyway. If things were different and hundreds of said games didnt work it'd be a different story.

16. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    I appreciate this post.

My package contains an Ultra Media Cart/Ultra FlashPass 512M & the Ultra FlashKey. I would be awfully cheesed if it didn't show up. Especially since the latter two items are essential for the NoPass comparison!

17. Foppzter

Member Foppzter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Since it is possible to run the code from the GBA slot and it is cheaper to develop old GBA carts then new smaller DS carts, that´s the way it´s been.
    The maxsize of the NDS-card can probably be bigger if they make the cart longer so it´s having a part of the cart outside the DS, but most people would probably not buy that.

18. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    A slot 1 card would be nice as it would allow you to use the slot 2 Rumble Pak, or possibly the Opera web browser RAM expansion. Unless someone can bring out a slot 2 cart that does these things too.