Gaming Why are Read times faster than Write times in storage mediums?

Hebon

Dabbling in the videogamagical
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title asks, I'd like to know. In my mind they should both be the same, since an electrical current needs to pass through it (what ever is used to represent 1's and 0's). Please enlighten me.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As the title asks, I'd like to know. In my mind they should both be the same, since an electrical current needs to pass through it (what ever is used to represent 1's and 0's). Please enlighten me.
Simple. All reading requires is checking whether a given part of a physical medium contains a "1" or a "0" while writting requires actually putting that "0" or "1" from the "virtual" realm into the "physical" one by means of magnetizing a part of a hard drive or charging a part of chip-based memory.

Writing generally requires more power and is a slightly "longer" process then reading, it's a general rule.

Hebon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for answering, but I don't believe I asked the right question. How is reading different than writing? In flash mediums especially, how can something be read without being "accessed"? I hope I'm clear on this,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thank you for answering, but I don't believe I asked the right question. How is reading different than writing? In flash mediums especially, how can something be read without being "accessed"? I hope I'm clear on this,
I understand what you mean.

This is really a matter of how all electronics which are based on the binary system work. "1" means that there is sufficient electric charge (magnetic in the case of HDD's) to be detected while "0" has very little or no charge, thus is ignored. That way, a device is easily able to determine the position of "0" and "1"'s using the detecting technique employed.

Writing requires much more power as on a magnetic disk clusters need to be magnetized or demagnetized accordingly, on a FLASH medium, parts of the chip need to be charged or discharged accordingly.

It takes longer simply because it takes more power, plus, when reading, a "0" is simply ignored (no charge, little charge), you're effectively reading "1's" and their positions. When writing, you write both "0" and "1".

Is that elaborate enough?

Hebon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That does answer some of my questions, but it raises others; such as how does a flash medium detect 1's over 0's?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'll use a more deattached example. Imagine that the drive is a neighbourhood and the system is a delivery guy. "Reading" is delivering parcels, "writing" is knocking on doors. The delivery guy has to knock on all the door - if someone's there (1), the parcel is delivered, if not, he goes to the next house (adress for chips, cluster for drives etc.) (0).

Of course this is a bit more complex - write speeds can be enhanced by overwriting - if what you are writing is essentially the same as what is already there, you do not write and only overwrite the differences, but still, it will never be as fast as just reading.

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This type of question depends completely on the hardware implementation of the memory/storage device.

Even for Flash memory - there are various types.

For info in Flash memory check out: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Flash_memory

In general, I also believe writes also incur a read penalty for write verification but I don't know the details for any specific implementation.

At the end of the day it boils down to implementation. Think of optical media like a cd/dvd where writing involves actually changing the physical make-up of the optical disk while reading simply detects the presence of a 1 or 0.

Also what is a 1 or 0 is arbitrary as well. Its up to the designer(s) who design devices and their interfaces. A 1 doesn't necessarily mean the presence of charge while a 0 is its absence but rather it could be the other way around. Sometimes voltage levels are used to represent bits of data i.e. a 0 is 3.3V while a 1 is 5V or something like that.

I could imagine some way of storing data where writing would be faster than reading. Consider the case of a bunch of frogs placed randomly in a cage. Each time you want to write a bit of data you find a frog with no label in the cage, tape a label along with the bit of data to its head. When you want to read a data item, you have to find the frog corresponding to the label in question and read the bit of data off the tape stuck on its head.

I just invented a new memory device to be used to store data. "Frog Memory"

It has several drawbacks and definitely wouldn't be able to fit on a small chip to fit in the next phone..

But it illustrates the idea of how things depend on specific implementation.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I could imagine some way of storing data where writing would be faster than reading. Consider the case of a bunch of frogs placed randomly in a cage. Each time you want to write a bit of data you find a frog with no label in the cage, tape a label along with the bit of data to its head. When you want to read a data item, you have to find the frog corresponding to the label in question and read the bit of data off the tape stuck on its head.

I just invented a new memory device to be used to store data. "Frog Memory"

It has several drawbacks and definitely wouldn't be able to fit on a small chip to fit in the next phone..

But it illustrates the idea of how things depend on specific implementation.
I believe that's called Random Access Memory. :P

Bits are written wherever there is free space (unless directed otherwise) extra-fast and the value returned is their assigned adress, not the content (unless directed otherwise). ;)

Hebon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize for not being clear. I understand the concept of Reading is easier than writing, but I want to know how flash memory reads and writes. I mean, I want to know the nitty gritty of it. What process is used to determine what is stored in a bit of memory, and why is it faster than writing?

If I were talking to someone face-to-face my question would be answered already... It's frustrating understanding is lost through text.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I apologize for not being clear. I understand the concept of Reading is easier than writing, but I want to know how flash memory reads and writes. I mean, I want to know the nitty gritty of it.

If I were talking to someone face-to-face my question would be answered already... It's frustrating how understanding is lost through text.
In essence, reading and writing on a FLASH chip, when you ommit all the particuliarities of it works on the simple basis - the "mother" system requests access to a given chip, whatever microprocessor controls this chip allows or denies this access, provided it allows it, it's either in Read/Write mode or in Read-Only mode (some chips have a physical connector that determines the mode, for example SD cards with switches on them, hence the microprocessor is not always necessary).

Every "chip" is divided into smaller partitions, each of these partitions has an Adress. A pool of those Adresses is stored at its "beginning" to make reading "faster". Reading is checking the content of the chip from a given Adress onwards until End of File is reached. This is a relatively quick operation.

Writing is:
1) Finding out whether the chip has enough space by skim-reading adresses or by checking a ToC file of some sort.
2) Dividing the file into partitions that will fit the selected Adress ranges.
3) Writing into the given partitions of the chip.
3a) Checking whether overwritting is possible as you write to enhance the speed.
3b) Proof-Reading.

As you can see, writing is a little bit more complex then reading, as it applies a certain degree of maths plus an actual, physical interaction with the chip rather then just directly reading its content.

Hebon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm begining to understand. Basically 1's and 0's require different amounts of current to trigger them. So when reading them, if it takes more current than usual to trigger a bit it's counted as 1 (lets say), and if it can be read immediatly it is a 0. Am I correct so far?

This is basically what geoGolem said, but it took me some time to wrap my head around it.

EDIT:
I found this article that explains things pretty well. From it I found my answer;

A special device called a cell sensor monitors the level of the charge passing through the floating gate. If the flow through the gate is above the 50 percent threshold, it has a value of 1.

article is here
http://computer.hows...ash-memory1.htm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos