Hacking Why are psp games size bigger from the NPS BROWSER than anywhere else?

Shadowmoon25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GTA Vice City Stories in the NPS Browser is 1581.02 mb in size which is about 1gb and a half but other sites that you download iso roms it is like 851 mb. So why is the NPS version bigger in size when the other isnt? Ive tested the 851mb and there is no problem at all so why the size difference. Its not CSO which i know it makes the game slower and its loading time.

Last edited by Shadowmoon25,

eighthdayregret

fnerrrrrrrrrr!
Trophies
Website
eighthsregrets.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Downloading from the PSN serves two purposes:
1.) You get a truly untouched version of the game if you just use the EBOOT. Some .ISOs are modified/condensed/compressed by uploaders, and a lot of older .ISOs were dumped before an issue was fixed with the CFW USB connection, therefore, they are missing bytes at the end of the .ISO and are not perfect dumps.
2.) A lot of games have received updates since release. In a lot of cases, rather than having a download for the game and a download for the update, the updated version of the game is uploaded to PSN. This changes the download size, but also removes the need to download the game and the update separately. Not all games are like this, however. Last I checked, Disgaea 2 is a standalone updated EBOOT, while Elminage Original requires you to download the game and an update separately.
Vice City Stories is an example of a game that received an update at some point, and I believe the PSN link is the updated version and does not require a separate patch.

Last edited by eighthdayregret,

Shadowmoon25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
M
Downloading from the PSN serves two purposes:
1.) You get a truly untouched version of the game if you just use the EBOOT. Some .ISOs are modified/condensed/compressed by uploaders, and a lot of older .ISOs were dumped before an issue was fixed with the CFW USB connection, therefore, they are missing bytes at the end of the .ISO and are not perfect dumps.
2.) A lot of games have received updates since release. In a lot of cases, rather than having a download for the game and a download for the update, the updated version of the game is uploaded to PSN. This changes the download size, but also removes the need to download the game and the update separately. Not all games are like this, however. Last I checked, Disgaea 2 is a standalone updated EBOOT, while Elminage Original requires you to download the game and an update separately.
Vice City Stories is an example of a game that received an update at some point, and I believe the PSN link is the updated version and does not require a separate patch.

Oh I see, that makes more sense. I think it’s just a matter of preference then, I might as well get the best or the games I will play the most from the nps and the rest somewhere else.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Like @eighthdayregret said, a lot of dumps were modified back in the day. The biggest issue being that people would remove entire cut scenes and other major parts of the games to make them smaller. All we had in PSP days were the expensive Sony memory sticks, so they would do anything to get them to fit on smaller cards. But then you wouldn't have the entire game. I remember having to download multiple copies of the same game and try to find the one that had the appropriate size for an untrimmed dump.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte