Hardware Why are people hating on Wii U?

D

Dork

I hope you guys realized that the Wii U didn't have a shitty launch, it's launch was pretty much normal, like any other console launch.

Reactions: fossda

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When compared to other consoles on the market, the price does seem pretty high (dropping it $50 would make it a pretty smart buy), but you have to consider you are getting the tablet as well as the console, so the cost is understandable.

My prediction is that once the really good first party titles come out later this year, sales will skyrocket. Just look at how well Animal Crossing did on the 3DS - and that's just one game. Donkey Kong and Mario are coming for WiiU, and look great. I'm really excited for them.

I actually bought a WiiU recently because I figured I'd get one while they are cheap because there is no way the prices are going to go anywhere but up from here on out.

What it comes down to is that, based on the last generation, the other two consoles will get more attention when it comes to "hardcore" AAA titles, so younger, more involved gamers will probably go for those. For me, and for many others who are older, buying a new console when most of the AAA titles end up coming to PC anyway seems a little silly.

The WiiU is the only next gen console that has really fantastic exclusives that offer experiences you can't find anywhere else, which allows me to justify the cost.

Even a $50 price cut could help sales as well, but that's a risk that Nintendo won't take, at least for now, but the major games coming up, and with Pikmin 3 being one of them, sales should skyrocket.

I hope you guys realized that the Wii U didn't have a shitty launch, it's launch was pretty much normal, like any other console launch.

N64 had a pretty anticlimactic launch when it was released back in 1996. Wave Race 64, Pilotwings 64 and Super Mario 64. Three whole games. Woot.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
N64 had a pretty anticlimactic launch when it was released back in 1996. Wave Race 64, Pilotwings 64 and Super Mario 64. Three whole games. Woot.

Super Mario 64 is one of the all time greats. Wii U got NintendoLand. :P (Actually I've had a blast on NintendoLand when I can get the missus & kids playing.... but still, SM64 it ain't).
That and NSMBU - there's no flagship, killer app there..... Wave Race also gave us realistic water, something we'd never really had on home console before. NSMBU could've been done on the Wii with a wiimote used for most of the gamepad stuff, and NintendoLand is a glorified demo to get us used to the new controls - never gonna challenge Wii Sports for casual pick up n play...

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret buying a Wii U at all, but I'm not sure even 3D World, MK8 or Smash Bros is gonna save it in the sales dept...

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario 64 is one of the all time greats. Wii U got NintendoLand. :P (Actually I've had a blast on NintendoLand when I can get the missus & kids playing.... but still, SM64 it ain't).
That and NSMBU - there's no flagship, killer app there..... Wave Race also gave us realistic water, something we'd never really had on home console before. NSMBU could've been done on the Wii with a wiimote used for most of the gamepad stuff, and NintendoLand is a glorified demo to get us used to the new controls - never gonna challenge Wii Sports for casual pick up n play...

Never played Nintendoland, never interested me to be honest, but the killer apps will come. Let me rephrase, the N64 launch wasn't all that bad, but the Virtual Boy was the worst of them all.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never played Nintendoland, never interested me to be honest, but the killer apps will come. Let me rephrase, the N64 launch wasn't all that bad, but the Virtual Boy was the worst of them all.
Pikmin 3 is a fine title - which is a good start! I'm 99.9% sure SM 3D World will be fantastic, and of course can't wait for the other 2. And lest we forget the HD Wind Waker with challenge mode :D

Don't think the DS launch titles were that great either, and look how that ended up! Fingers crossed the same will happen with Wii U (but again, I'm not entirely convinced it'll happen this time)

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pikmin 3 is a fine title - which is a good start! I'm 99.9% sure SM 3D World will be fantastic, and of course can't wait for the other 2. And lest we forget the HD Wind Waker with challenge mode :D

Don't think the DS launch titles were that great either, and look how that ended up! Fingers crossed the same will happen with Wii U (but again, I'm not entirely convinced it'll happen this time)

Exactly, we just need to wait a little longer, then Wii U sales will go crazy

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
people who complain about the wii u launch are too young to remember that horrible xbox 360 launch with his last gen ports, shitty exclusives and the red ring of dead.

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because it's basically a PS3 6 years too late. It has last-gen hardware and is not gonna receive a lot of the AAA multiplats. There are tablets with more CPU and GPU power than the Wii U. It also barely has any games as of now. That pretty much sums it up.

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States
Because it's basically a PS3 6 years too late. It has last-gen hardware and is not gonna receive a lot of the AAA multiplats. There are tablets with more CPU and GPU power than the Wii U. It also barely has any games as of now. That pretty much sums it up.

third party exclusives are dying bro, they would port anything!But since it doesn't have enough sales they're not going to port games for it.Games cost a shitton to make, companies will squeeze as much money as they can from it.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So then the Wii U and PS4 Graphics don't look the same?

I think the PS4 and Xbox One will both have "better" graphics, at the same time though the difference will be pretty small and much less noticeable than the Wii VS the 360 and PS3 was.

The real advantage the other consoles have over the Wii-U is more CPU cores and more RAM and better GPU's, what this will offer gamer's at this point is hard to tell but from Sony and Microsoft's announcement's the real things will be cross game chat and better social media integration plus being able to upload video's of you playing games to Youtube.....

Can't help but think that with all that baggage running in the background that Sony and Microsoft are squandering the hardware advantage they posses over the Wii-U.

Surely having all that stuff running in the background will eat up resources better used for making better games?

Lot's of things remain to be seen but either way this is going to be an interesting ride.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
If the Wii U were to sell more than the others, it would be the Wii U that would get the originals and the XB1 and PS4 that would get the ports.

At that point they might end up with the same graphic level as Wii U or even worse, kinda like how right now few ports from the PS3 and 360 get their graphics upped to take advantage of the Wii U's capabilities.

just food for thought

Reactions: RedCoreZero

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Yeah, the PS4, XBox one and Wii U will have a slight difference in graphics.
But when you compare the Wii U to the Xbox 360 and ps3 the wii u is better.
And the fact that there are no good games on the Wii U, I disagree. All the upcoming Mario, super smash bros, assassin's, watch dogs games etc, are a lot of very promising games.
And there are about 7 great games already on the Wii U, I don't see why people complain other than the price which I agree is high for this console.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the PS4, XBox one and Wii U will have a slight difference in graphics.
But when you compare the Wii U to the Xbox 360 and ps3 the wii u is better.
And the fact that there are no good games on the Wii U, I disagree. All the upcoming Mario, super smash bros, assassin's, watch dogs games etc, are a lot of very promising games.
And there are about 7 great games already on the Wii U, I don't see why people complain other than the price which I agree is high for this console.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/197634/going_platinum_bayonetta_2_.php

Bayonetta 2 looks interesting to me too, I really didn't think it looked that good and couldn't see why all the fuss but after reading that article I might just have to give it a try.

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So then the Wii U and PS4 Graphics don't look the same?

Of course they don't look the same. The Wii U's GPU is capable of around 350 GFLOPS. Compare that to the PS4's GPU, which is capable of 1840 GFLOPS. It also gets dominated by the Xbox One's GPU, which is capable of 1300 GFLOPS (It's probably higher now that MS has decided to overclock it a bit). It's also beaten by mid-range PC graphics card such as the GTX 760, which is capable of 2248 GFLOPS. In summary, the Wii U is severally underpowered and WILL have inferior graphics.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more