Hardware Why are people hating on Wii U?

fossda

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeesh. It doesn't MATTER that if WiiU sold more, I'm answering what the OP asked, "Why the hate?". Regardless of sales, it did not stack up to what Nintendo wanted, thus the 'public mindset' being "It sold low".
Nintendo just put their sales predictions too high...

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my assumption is that sales are low from lack of games, people not caring for the gamepad concept, and people who view it as last gen.
I actually consider the Wii U a hybrid generation (7.5 gen) as its a mix of new and old hardware (and features)

old: higher clocked 3 core variant of the Broadway (Espresso)
hybrid: newer RadeonHD based GPU, has features comparable to the RadeonHD 4xxx series (Latte)| roughly faster than the 360's (Xenos)
old: pro controller: an xbox360 like controller with the same features as a current (7th) gen controller, but uses digital buttons instead of triggers (like the PS1/N64 had; PS2's DualShock 2 had pressure sensitive analog buttons)
old: uses Wiimotes and the IR sensor same as the Wii, no improvements there
new: has a really nice Gamepad that acts as a second display that can act asynchronously to the main one.
new:uses a Blu-ray like disk that can hold up to 25GB (single) or 50GB (dual layer;i see no reason the Wii U would not work with dual layer disks as Nintendo was able to make the Wii work with dual layer DVD's, most of them anyway)
really old: no DVD Playback. even the original Xbox and PS2 could play back dvd's.(the licensing expense excuse may have worked back in the ps2 days, or trying to keep the Wii affordable years ago, but it does not cut it now in 2013, especially for its 349.99/299.99$ price tag)
new: has HDMI and up to 5.1 PCM multichannel audio support(possibly 7.1?)
old: can use external HDD to expand storage (old as the 360 has had this for years)
old: uses the same USB controller from the Wii, just enhanced by having all 4 ports accessible, vs just 2. WiiMode can actually talk to all 4 ports (correct me if i am wrong) when the normal Wii only supposedly only had 2 (it actually has 4, only 2 were utilized)
old: games are limited to 720p, or 1080p for less demanding games (the PS4 and Xbox One will both drive games near or at native 1080p)
FAIL: WPA2-PSK is not supported for WiiMode apps. (big fail here as Nintendo could have enhanced the Wireless drivers to allow WPA2-PSK2 as the Wii U's wireless chipset does support it.
FAIL: gamepad support's wireless N 5Ghz but the Wireless for Internet is still only 2.4. ( why not allow both then worn users that gamepad range may be reduced when using 5ghz for internet access. (my room gets good 5ghz reception but poor signal quality (not strength) on 2.4.)
WIN: only 350$ vs 400$ or 500$
WIN: only consumes ~50 watts while in a game. not even the new 360 E redesign can touch that.
new/WIN: really nice MP4 H264/AVC support. upto profile 4.2 and 7 reference frames. thats better than the PS Vita and PS3.
old/FAIL: No mp3 support: Photo Channel 1.0 for Wii had it. ps3 and 360 do. the ps4 and xbox one will too.(may not seem bad but plenty of H264 videos use mp3 audio streams)
old/FAIL: lack of MPEG4(non H264),AVI, and WAV. (xbox 360 and ps3 could play both, if we had WAV support, we would have a way to listen to lossless music as we could convert FLAC to WAV for playback when needed.)
new: next gen gameplay: the gamepad does offer this, and does it well.
old: 1 profile at a time can be signed in, cannot use 2 profiles for split screen. (even the original xbox could do this for games)
old: 1st party games in stereo (really :facepalm, at least use the other channels for music/ambient sounds) this is not the n64 here.

so, the Wii U is a hybrid generation console (to me at least, and probably others, but the majority of naysayers will still label it as a definitive last gen console)
mixed gen hardware|next gen gameplay = Wii U

NOTE: I love playing my Wii U, and enjoying Amazon Prime, Youtube, and its off-screen compatible ability to play H264/AVC with a decently wide range of profiles for a console)

Reactions: yuyuyup
P

pasc

Nano Assault Neo - This eShop game is a simple yet well amde vertical scrolling Shoot 'em Up. If you like flying as a spaceship (or in that case nanoship) and blowing up aliens (Microbes) this is your thing!
Actually... since I already got the 3DS Version and this seems quite similar: Any reason to still get this (aside from the obvious kickass score ?)

Low/mediocre sales, compared to other consoles make people want to gloat. This happens with every console. Don't take the hating to heart.

Well.. most people are graphic wh*res after all.

Wasn't there this picture...
BOEmv2BCcAAEkZl.jpg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Haters gonna hate.
Really, there's no good reason, and any reason they use is merely an excuse.
The sales aren't even that low. The console is still new and it sells better than certain other consoles did at the same point in their lifetime.
Though there is a bit of a lack of must-have games at the moment that's the case for any new console and there's plenty of great games coming out.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What I don't like about the Wii U is the fact that in order to play the next Nintendo CONSOLE, I must invest in an expensive tablet controller, rather than invest in more powerful hardware. I don't like the lack of any 3D support (could change in the future.) This is the last non-3D electronic I will ever buy including toasters. I also think the name is stupid as all fuck. Waiting for that wiikey ODE. I am glad I purchased one for $238 when they were getting rid of the Basics.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That will solve all the problems in selling the WiiU in the west.

Really as long as it is selling somewhere on the planet that's sort of a moot point wouldn't you say?

I mean as an example the Xbox and the 360 sold like wet dog shit on a hot day covered in flies in Japan, and yet it still managed to outsell the PS3 in total sales.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Really as long as it is selling somewhere on the planet that's sort of a moot point wouldn't you say?

I mean as an example the Xbox and the 360 sold like wet dog shit on a hot day covered in flies in Japan, and yet it still managed to outsell the PS3 in total sales.

WiiU isn't selling anywhere.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiU isn't selling anywhere.

Typical summer sales slump nothing is selling anywhere right now if you watch the charts. The best numbers are still going to be low.

It's summertime only nerds are playing video games indoors right now, everyone else is outside doing sports or beaches and chicks and beer! lol

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Typical summer sales slump nothing is selling anywhere right now if you watch the charts. The best numbers are still going to be low.

It's summertime only nerds are playing video games indoors right now, everyone else is outside doing sports or beaches and chicks and beer! lol

It wasn't selling when it wasn't the summer either.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't selling when it wasn't the summer either.

You mean the launch? Hasn't really been on the market all that long, if we where using that stick to measure the PS3 and 360 both would have been huge flops. I mean since we are going back in time here. The PS3's launch year was full of LOL's remember the whole "If you can find a PS3 on the shelves we will pay you money!" ? yeah that was hilarious with all the video's on youtube showing the stacks of unsold launch units.

But you mean since you can't point to something else that is selling well right now you need to go back to the past, I completely understand. :)

Sometimes I like to detract from points too. (The current sales slump in the entire market was mine.)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean the launch? Hasn't really been on the market all that long, if we where using that stick to measure the PS3 and 360 both would have been huge flops. I mean since we are going back in time here. The PS3's launch year was full of LOL's remember the whole "If you can find a PS3 on the shelves we will pay you money!" ? yeah that was hilarious with all the video's on youtube showing the stacks of unsold launch units.

But you mean since you can't point to something else that is selling well right now you need to go back to the past, I completely understand. :)

Sometimes I like to detract from points too. (The current sales slump in the entire market was mine.)

It was launched just before the holidays and it still sucked. That's pretty damn poor.

EDIT: And the PS3 launched at a ridiculous price, this launched at a reasonable price right before the holidays and is STILL doing bad.

Reactions: gamefan5

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was launched just before the holidays and it still sucked. That's pretty damn poor.

EDIT: And the PS3 launched at a ridiculous price, this launched at a reasonable price right before the holidays and is STILL doing bad.

The only thing even remotely selling well right now is the 3DS.

The 360 launched at a pretty reasonable price and it sold pretty poorly it's first year, where is the 360's excuse? Oh that doesn't quite fit :)

Besides both the 360 and the PS3 are no longer priced anything but cheap... Where is the sales right now? Summer sales slump?

I mean that's what I would say.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself