Why are Nintendo consoles so popular to hack?

Nickp2517

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like it’s tradition almost. Anytime Nintendo releases a new console is pretty much guaranteed to be hackable. How is this so? I think it’s just simply amazing

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pokemon is the most fun game to hack, what are you going to do if you hack the xbox put grunts in different places on halo?

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
because their security is a joke, sony made that mistake twice with the PSP and the PS3, and has made their newer products more closed than an apple laptop, meanwhile, the DS allowed any cart to go in it, just like all of the gameboy prior to it, then the DSi just blocked some specific carts, so people just bypassed it by disguising non official carts as offcial ones, then the 3DS showed up and it was the same thing all over again, until people started finding even more exploits.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

pokemon is the most fun game to hack, what are you going to do if you hack the xbox put grunts in different places on halo?
halo modding is actually very active

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Compared to Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo's been notorious for leaving their consoles wide open for hackers.

The original Xbox used to be a very popular console to hack...until the 360 came along and made you require soldering a chip. That drives off 99% of people. The Wii, 3DS, and Wii U all have been simple to crack without requiring external hardware.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What ry755 said. People try to hack nearly every console, but consistently Nintendo is close to the worst at providing sufficient security. Beyond that, portables are funner to hack because you can carry them with you to show off, which is why people hack their Android phone and their Nintendo handheld.

PS - And I can sort of PS that you can't hack a system that isn't closed, so that's why the focus on PCs and the like is mostly overclocking and the like. Hack the world or at least your laptop.

Last edited by kuwanger,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably cause they have more interesting systems or more fun games. I can't answer that from a hacker prospective but from a consumer, I think is just the popularity of it. Maybe people like knowing they can do stuff like this to one of the most popular companies. I just like the way people create these hacks. I'm not trying to make fun of anyone but it's just too funny. A hack using a paper clip, a magnet, a flash cart, visiting a web browser page, a battery, save data, it's so insane how many ways it can be done. :P

Reactions: M7L7NK7
D

Deleted User

Nintendo has been known to make a lot of odd decisions regarding their systems that are dated and confusing to most people, such as region lockout, restrictive digital transfer policies, and a lack of proper Virtual Console support for systems that are more than capable of playing the games. Many may choose to simply not play on Nintendo systems and opt for less restrictive systems, such as competing consoles and PC, but due to their first-party game offerings, this may or may not be an option for some people. As such, many like to open their systems by force.

Plus, people who are more in-line with the PC Gaming mentality might also want to mod their Nintendo games, as they do with their other games. Doing so isn't possible unless you turn to hacking said system, or emulating it on PC (the latter of which is less practical, as emulators, especially FOSS ones, take time and effort to develop, and usually don't come out until near the end of the console's life span at least).

On top of that, Nintendo systems tend to have a personality to them; they're not just PCs like the Xbox One and PS4 are. Your average Nintendo console is unique, in terms of both hardware and software. They're always running some sort of custom OS Nintendo designed in-house, and so part of the challenge and fun for hackers is to study and exploit said OS.

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's been said already: security isn't up to par with the competition. If you could hack sony's or microsoft's console with "just" software tricks and/or nintendo had you opening up your machine to install some extra chips you got from "the internet", then I'm sure that the first ones would be more popular.

Also Nintendo makes great hardware...excluding the wiiu. People love to play them.
The wiiu was only unpopular by those who didn't buy one. This is of course an open door (those who don't want one don't get one and those who have one aren't unbiassed either), but it doesn't say anything of the hardware in itself. And on that ground, I'd say the wiiu wasn't bad hardware either.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because their security is a joke, sony made that mistake twice with the PSP and the PS3, and has made their newer products more closed than an apple laptop, meanwhile, the DS allowed any cart to go in it, just like all of the gameboy prior to it, then the DSi just blocked some specific carts, so people just bypassed it by disguising non official carts as offcial ones, then the 3DS showed up and it was the same thing all over again, until people started finding even more exploits.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

halo modding is actually very active
>more closed than an apple laptop,

but they boot windows and PS4 is hacking scene is coming along nicely
even though a little lat since ps5 is rumored to be announced soon

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
>more closed than an apple laptop,

but they boot windows and PS4 is hacking scene is coming along nicely
even though a little lat since ps5 is rumored to be announced soon
by apple laptop i meant the actual hardware, not the software

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Adding to all of the above, I know plenty of people looking to hack their Switch in order to get basic features every other console has, such as save backups and a web browser. Someone needs to knock on their door and tell them restricting useful, basic features is NOT the way to prevent hackers from hacking your system, as it only punishes non-hackers after the console is inevitably blown wide open.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn