Homebrew Why are hackers so against piracy?

pokemoner2500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have been waiting to write this rant so it begins now! Why are hackers so against piracy like yellow8 and smea? I see people trying for a N3ds exploit but purposly don't want piracy, but people who make the piracy loader for wii or other consoles get no hate which makes me wonder why don't they release piracy able exploits, hell it could be advertising for people who want a game they see a friend who has a GW playing. Still it seems stupid to not release a exploit (piracy or not) with power for piracy, think of others, if you don't want piracy don't use it for that, what if we want to load backups? Rant over.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, I'm not who to tell, but I can agree with them on a certain point.
They are the developers anyway, so they are free to do whatever they want with their releases.

I just hope that Homebrew apps (emulators, homebrew games, etc) are not taken into consideration for that rule.
Hope that it only applies for current-gen games for the 3DS.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boo hoo quit your cryin'. Why are hackers against piracy? They have all sorts of reasons to be. Maybe because stealing is wrong? Or maybe they don't want to get sued? Look what happened with Geohot and Sony... If you want a backup loader sooo badly go develop an exploit yourself! Until then, quit whining about other people not doing what you can't. Maybe even show some appreciation for the growing homebrew scene on 3DS.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Boo hoo quit your cryin'. Why are hackers against piracy? They have all sorts of reasons to be. Maybe because stealing is wrong? Or maybe they don't want to get sued? Look what happened with Geohot and Sony... If you want a backup loader sooo badly go develop an exploit yourself! Until then, quit whining about other people not doing what you can't. Maybe even show some appreciation for the growing homebrew scene on 3DS.
Or he could just buy one of the many flashcards available for the system to play backups.
Gateway, Sky3DS, QQ3DS, K3DS, etc.

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Stop replying like a dick. Thx

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
Hackers mainly of the white hat variety as mentioned above believe that piracy is a bad thing because it takes the money out of the developers hand and means many games wouldn't make it to market for those hacked platforms. Also they do a lot of good work and wouldn't want to lose the right to do what they love because they got caught releasing an exploit.

Piracy is not all bad some games are hard to find or don't get a large fan base until years later, earthbound/mother is great example. Companies like Nintendo seem to be allergic to money as the will not allow some games on there system but that's another issue.

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Morals have nothing to do with it. Insiders know that its all about the $$$. Releasing an full kernel access CFW will kill the flashcard market and cut off a huge revenue stream for "some" hackers that would prefer to remain anonymous.
That's why only controlled homebrew access is released while keeping full CFW underground, this allows certain hackers to sell the full exploits to flashcard companies for $$$.
Since they hold the keys, they can keep flashcard companies on a leash, which is more important than fame.
The only thing better than fame is $$$.

That's the real answer to your question.

RandomOddness

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The simple fact is that most "hackers" aren't hacking the console to run roms or backups, it's quite literally people attempting to find out the upper limits of a device. More often than not, the people who are finding exploits are doing so to find something new. Against piracy or not, when you release something that can lead to piracy you're basically allowing people to steal others work, which they themselves would be quite upset for if it were to happen to them.

It's not self importance or selfishness from a developers stand point, it's basically courtesy towards other developers, though this is only my opinion and many of the developers would disagree with me, everyone has their own views on their reason for their standpoint. One developer may agree with piracy since they believe in open source whereas another may dislike piracy as it's seen as theft, stealing others work, and most developers understand how many hours go into creating games that are released, the sad fact is, when any console is hacked to the point where kernel access is achieved, where it gives developers the freedom of the device in question, it does mean that someone else may simply want to use it just to play games they can't be bothered or can't afford to buy whereas the original reason for wanting that unimpeded access is simply to create something new for that device, namely a homebrew app, something their own and not others work.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, hackers are against piracy, which is all well and good, but the irony is the fact that they hack consoles, which in and of itself illegal in many countries, including the US. Their refusal to support piracy doesn't make their hacking the console in the first place any less illegal, really.

Morals have nothing to do with it. Insiders know that its all about the $$$. Releasing an full kernel access CFW will kill the flashcard market and cut off a huge revenue stream for "some" hackers that would prefer to remain anonymous.
That's why only controlled homebrew access is released while keeping full CFW underground, this allows certain hackers to sell the full exploits to flashcard companies for $$$.
Since they hold the keys, they can keep flashcard companies on a leash, which is more important that fame.
The only thing better than fame is $$$.

That's the real answer to your question.

Of course, it's only a matter of time before CFW gets leaked by anon hackers, and I can say that it's a very fun thing to watch people get all pissy over it getting leaked; good ol' Schadenfreude.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For fake moralism.
In past hack and backup loader at go-go (ps1, ps2, psp, xbox etc... ...) and now nothing because fake moralism (hacker dont release to public saying "backup is wrong" etc. but im sure that they have CFW for console like Ps Vita and load a lot of pirated iso... well)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
there is several reason, ansd it comes down to each "hacker" but heres a few
1) they themselves are software developers and can relate to the respective dev's who will loose money due to piracy (no matter how small a percentage)
2) they dont want to get sued
3) they want to sell on their exploits for a profit
4) they dislike people who expect stuff handed to them on a plate
5) they don't want to stain their name which could lead to loosing out on job opportunities in the future if they are deemed untrustworthy
6) they are only doing it to attract job offers for their work
7) they love drinking the tears of people on gbatemp and want to keep them flowing
8) they just do it as a hobby and don't want to be part of the piracy scene
9) they are part of a team and have shared exploits, so no 1 person really has the right to share the other members work, if they do they wouldn't be accepted into any future developments

im sure there is more, but as you can see there is plenty of reasons not to release

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So I have been waiting to write this rant so it begins now! Why are people who do nothing but constantly complain and whine about hackers being against piracy like pokemoner2500? I see people just wanting to learn about consoles since that is their hobby, but some stingy-ass people who want to pirate think all hackers are obliged to enable piracy just because, hell despite the fact that there are pre-existing options to pirate albeit with a little bit of $$. Still it seems stupid to go through this exact same discussion time and time again, think of others, if you are not happy, then do it yourself, what if, I dunno, hackers have their own set of beliefs, morals and code of ethics? Rant over.

God forbid people try to ensure they do not end up in legal trouble.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is several reason, ansd it comes down to each "hacker" but heres a few
1) they themselves are software developers and can relate to the respective dev's who will loose money due to piracy (no matter how small a percentage)
2) they dont want to get sued
3) they want to sell on their exploits for a profit
4) they dislike people who expect stuff handed to them on a plate
5) they don't want to stain their name which could lead to loosing out on job opportunities in the future if they are deemed untrustworthy
6) they are only doing it to attract job offers for their work
7) they love drinking the tears of people on gbatemp and want to keep them flowing
8) they just do it as a hobby and don't want to be part of the piracy scene
9) they are part of a team and have shared exploits, so no 1 person really has the right to share the other members work, if they do they wouldn't be accepted into any future developments

im sure there is more, but as you can see there is plenty of reasons not to release

And yet, hacking a console alone is still illegal in many countries; their choosing to withhold doesn't make hacking any less illegal. Just saying. Oh how I love to see the butthurt when CFW gets leaked just out of spite, it gives me quite the thriller :creep:

Reactions: Margen67

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
And yet, hacking a console alone is still illegal in many countries; their choosing to withhold doesn't make hacking any less illegal. Just saying. Oh how I love to see the butthurt when CFW gets leaked just out of spite, it gives me quite the thriller :creep:
who said anything about anything being illegal or not, it was a list of reasons why a lot of hackers dont just give out free to the mob

Reactions: NEP

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who said anything about anything being illegal or not, it was a list of reasons why a lot of hackers dont just give out free to the mob

I bet there are some hackers out there who think not releasing their work justifies their hacking the console, that's all I'm saying. That, and eventually, hacks that are withheld get leaked much to the chagrin of the hackers, but to the Schadenfreude of end users.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.