Homebrew Why are hackers so against piracy?

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you think about it, there's nothing wrong with what they do with their work.

It's natural human instinct to try to monetize one's work, whether it be selling it or using it to gain employment as a systems security analyst.

You gotta think of it this way, nobody in this world is altruistic, so it makes perfect sense for hackers to keep their work private for self gain.

Reactions: TemplarGR and 2Hack

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
Piracy devices to play bacpup games is pure f*cking bullshit.

Because some developers have different ethics or morals.
The bold part should have been "have ethics or morals". The others like Waninkoko and the rest during the Wii era didn't had any of that at all.

Anyway, not to mention that, for any good games that is pirated 10 shovelware arrise. After a year or 2, only shovelware knocks at your door.

Pip'

Reactions: NEP

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
The hackers who are "against" piracy have bullshit morals, most of them will happily download films and music but think if they aren't the ones enabling the pirates, they're somehow better people.

I do not pirate movies or music either. Am I the only one here that is not a pirate in any way?

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
What I think is dumb is someone claiming credit for a hack but not releasing anything; then when someone else hacks it wide open, they condemn them for releasing it while demanding full credit. It all boils down to morals verses progress.

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
What I think is dumb is someone claiming credit for a hack but not releasing anything; then when someone else hacks it wide open, they condemn them for releasing it while demanding full credit. It all boils down to morals verses progress.
People hacking are not necesseraly doing it for profit or piracy, not even homebrew, but simply to push their knowledge to the limit. When it's done it's satisfying. It's just like modding a car, pumping it's value but not selling it or letting anyone driving it.

Pip

Reactions: Margen67 and NEP

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Piracy devices to play bacpup games is pure f*cking bullshit.

The bold part should have been "have ethics or morals". The others like Waninkoko and the rest during the Wii era didn't had any of that at all.

Anyway, not to mention that, for any good games that is pirated 10 shovelware arrise. After a year or 2, only shovelware knocks at your door.

Pip'

Bad or wrong ethics/morals are still ethics/morals.

Some people that create technology that enables piracy have good intentions like homebrew with full hardware access, region unlocking, fan translations, rom hacks, etc. I think "different" ethics/morals is more accurate.

Also, any system can have shovelware. It's more about how easy the system is to develop for and how popular it is. Here's an interesting article about famicom shovelware:
http://shmuplations.com/famicomboom/

Reactions: Vulpes Abnocto

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm not sure if the incident you have in mind is the same as mine. I haven't heard of any hacker who got miffed because someone managed to replicate what he did by his/her own effort. However, I have heard of someone releasing someone else's work without the latter's consent.

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
Bad or wrong ethics/morals are still ethics/morals.

Some people that create technology that enables piracy have good intentions like homebrew with full hardware access, region unlocking, fan translations, rom hacks, etc. I think "different" ethics/morals is more accurate.

Also, any system can have shovelware. It's more about how easy the system is to develop for and how popular it is. Here's an interesting article about famicom shovelware:
http://shmuplations.com/famicomboom/
I agree with you at 80%. True, any system can have shovelware, but one system that is hacked for piracy is more incline to receive shovelware. I'd say that the NES/Famicom was "hacked" for piracy purpose. For ME, in MY POV, when you do something good means you have good moral and ethics, when you do something bad it's because you don't have any.

Pip'

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
..all i want to say, is that for sure, you'il see backups loaders (done the right way! like, without stealing other's work!..) once BigN will be done releasing big titles for the 3DS..
..for now, people should appreciate the homebrew-scene that's going on for the 3DS, and appreciate the good games that developpers make for the 3DS!..tell yourself that if there was already ''free backups loaders'', too much people would stop buying their games...
..if you where a dev, would you be interrested to invest your life into making games that people wont bother to buy? :whip: ..

..tell yourself that, the more ''piracy modding'' there is, the more you'il have to wait for new good releases.:hateit:
.....oh but receiving tons of updates from BigN instead of receiving new games, can be fun to!,..if you bought your 3ds with the idea of not buying any games.:P

Good pirates still buy games (even if its only 40% of the games..i mean, games you know you want to play should be bought, and games that you wouldnt have buy anyway, well... .. ) but bad pirates are just waiting to steal, without even supporting any devs!..lately we see lot of 'babies' whining because they cant yet pirate games without buying a card..wtf!?? its like, being pissed off at the depanneur's owner just because he's not selling guns!...

..people are like: ''wow great project! i love your work! its awesome! so, when are we seing a loader? ...no loader?? oh well, your work sux and you're the worst team there is!!..unless you release a loader!..if not, you guys are morons!!''

..i hope people will be more ''friendly'' toward modders, because of their good work, we can have a homebrew launcher! ..region-three! ..make backup of the NAND etc etc... lots of great features imo! we already have way more then what BigN shove in their console so its a good reason to appreciate the good thing instead of just thinking of what'S missing!..

there should be a rule here:
1-hack your console
2-explore all the good things that are available for the moment
3-propose ideas
4-dont by angry or pissed against developpers just because they dont do YET what you want! they are not taking YOUR time, they take their own free time! so be thankful or shut up.
5-if you cant resist the tentation to insult people or whine about no-piracy progress, go to the bathroom and f*ck yourself :bow:

6-enjoy your stay on the forum and all the good things you couldnt do without hacking the 3DS.

OPTIONAL: support modders buy making a small donation (..if they allow it..) pretty sure they appreciate if people buy them a beer or a chip once in a while :P

:moogle:

Reactions: codeclutch

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
And yet, hacking a console alone is still illegal in many countries; their choosing to withhold doesn't make hacking any less illegal. Just saying. Oh how I love to see the butthurt when CFW gets leaked just out of spite, it gives me quite the thriller :creep:

In many countries (should be global) it is in fact not illegal to modify your own product you bought. It's like the car industry. The consumer has the right to replace parts from another company. The consumer has the right to do whatever he want after buying a product. Of course it is not legal to download copyrighted material. But the modifications of your own product is almost always legal I think. Nintendo doesn't own your 3ds after you have bought it. You own it yourself!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In many countries (should be global) it is in fact not illegal to modify your own product you bought. It's like the car industry. The consumer has the right to replace parts from another company. The consumer has the right to do whatever he want after buying a product. Of course it is not legal to download copyrighted material. But the modifications of your own product is almost always legal I think. Nintendo doesn't own your 3ds after you have bought it. You own it yourself!

Not in the US it ain't, it violates the Nintendo EULA when you modify a console. They shouldn't call themselves moralists when they do one thing but not another.

Reactions: Margen67 and SLiV3R

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy is bad.
People that have 0 knowledge of electronics shouldn't be allowed to pirate.

And for old games that generate no money for nonexistent companies, no one gives a fuck expect for secondhand retailers that sell for 800% of the price on eBay ^_^

LoneGrenade

IT Technician/Rookie Coder
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's their work, let them do what they want with it. Whether it is selling it to flashcart companies or hoarding it for themselves and friends, it's their own work.

If they don't want a free method to steal games to be public, then they're not going to release it.

If you want to pirate games for free so badly, go learn some programming and write a loader yourself. Half of the work is out there and already done for you. Don't whine about how devs don't wanna share their toys.

Reactions: codeclutch

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
And for old games that generate no money for nonexistent companies, no one gives a fuck expect for secondhand retailers that sell for 800% of the price on eBay ^_^
But on eBay you don't really know if it will arive in good condition or not. There is a reason why eBay is cheaper. It's full of shitter selling half broken stuff and then only refunfs a part of your money.

Pip'

purupuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're against piracy with a wink and a nod. First comes the homebrew, that opens the boor for everything else. It's more of a matter of legal liability. Oh I'm on the record as being against piracy. I'm not resppncible that what some unsavory characters have done with my work.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But on eBay you don't really know if it will arive in good condition or not. There is a reason why eBay is cheaper. It's full of shitter selling half broken stuff and then only refunfs a part of your money.

Pip'

So all the more reason to avoid secondhand games on eBay due to their condition.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging