Why are English Voice Dubs complete crap compared to Japanese dubs?

D

Deleted User

11 minutes from the OP posting?

Are you one of the people that joins IRC, says hello and then leaves 15 seconds later citing it being inactive?
I was talking about in general. Places outside GBATemp. You know. The internet. World Wide Web. Cyberspace. Information Superhighway.
You really didn't think about my post any other way before you posted you're reply...?

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Deleted User

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Is it just me, or does the English dubs of Japanese games/anime sounds worst than the original?
I'm pretty sure you're just being a weeb about it and that's why you prefer the Japanese voices. The few dubbed games I've actually played didn't sound bad anyways.

MionissNio

Trophies
XP
5) You are a filthy weab. It is an unfortunate affliction, you can often cure it by going to Japan and seeing that it is not all sunshine and rainbows (best not to go during the sunshine and rainbows festival) or you can finish going through puberty instead.

THIS!

Anyways, I also think getting used to it matters a lot. I mean the english voices in FE fates are ao much diverse for females and yet some males sound the same whilst in the Japanase version males sound a lot better and diverse yet females have no character yet I still like the english voices cause I played it and I am used to it :3.

Kamiyama

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
5) You are a filthy weab. It is an unfortunate affliction, you can often cure it by going to Japan and seeing that it is not all sunshine and rainbows (best not to go during the sunshine and rainbows festival) or you can finish going through puberty instead.

This. So MUCH this! FAST, you are my new god. You've always been.

When I joined to these forums, I was about 15-16 years old and I can say that I was one of those filthy weabs (hence my name). I couldn't stand any dubs or what so ever, even if those was just fantastic. Why? Because it was not in Japanese. 'cause anything Japanese is the thing. Japan is the best! Japan is life!

Now I'm almost 30 years old and I prefer always the English dubs. Maybe I'm too lazy to read the stuff, maybe I just don't have so much time for that. It's just so much easier when you are actually read what you are hearing. I don't even remember any "horrible" dubs from any game I've played. Except those Japanese voices.

Don't get me wrong, I like Japanese culture and stuff. I've also been translating the stuff from JPN to FIN for YEARS. When I did "grow up", I just didn't stand those helium voices anymore. I did grow tired of those voices. Like sj33 already said, they just don't sounds right. I don't know any Japanese people who would ever speak like characters in the anime/games/etc. Just go to the nearest theater and see a play. Or watch a movie or even some television series. Go to the work and try to speak with your co-workers (they are the worst). Even those doesn't sounds right. Why? Because they are acting (or they should). There's tons of clichés going on. And those clichés are just plain awful in Japanese pop culture. In the most of the games/animes, the Japanese voice actors are the ones who are just reading the scripts using their helium voices while the English counter part is even trying to add some depth to it. Troy Baker, anyone? Love that guy and ALL of his dubbing roles.

Try to watch 5 Centimeters Per Second in Japanese. That's the line how the Japanese voices should sounds like. It's been a while when I watched that last time, but I do have a faint recall, that the voice acting in that movie was pretty good. I really should watch it in English too.

You guys know what's also sad? When the western publisher doesn't add the Japanese dubs in the games, the weabs are crying because they want their game with JPN voices. BUT! When the western publisher is bringing the game to the west with JPN ONLY voices, the same weab groups are making or asking the FANDUBS for those games! W-w-w-why? What the hell, people?! Even I can't understand this.

Last edited by Kamiyama,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So for those who legitimately learned the language, spent five years (three in high school and two from living abroad), who prefer not to listen to often-bad acting in English dubs, surely, one would not label them as weabs, right? :unsure: Because I watch Japanese audio versions to help retain the language, because I want to keep improving. I really hope people don't take that the wrong way when I say that.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So for those who legitimately learned the language, spent five years (three in high school and two from living abroad), who prefer not to listen to often-bad acting in English dubs, surely, one would not label them as weabs, right? :unsure: Because I watch Japanese audio versions to help retain the language, because I want to keep improving. I really hope people don't take that the wrong way when I say that.
No, i understand sir. :)
Is a matter of opinion, and preference. We all here can make respectable opinions and discuss them like mature members. Right?.... I hope...

We can also make jokes too.

THIS!

Anyways, I also think getting used to it matters a lot. I mean the english voices in FE fates are ao much diverse for females and yet some males sound the same whilst in the Japanase version males sound a lot better and diverse yet females have no character yet I still like the english voices cause I played it and I am used to it :3.

There is voice acting in fire emblem fates? :creep:

Reactions: the_randomizer

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
don't compare only japanese with english.
You could compare english with french too !

FAST said French has good dubbers, and that's partly right.
all is a matter of "the studio handling the dub and the voice actors they hire." (to quote duffmmann from the first page)
Some movies or TV series are very good, some others are really unsync and voice intonation really off, if not even translated differently. But that's due to the HARD work they do to sync the lips with French language, and THAT is a hard work to do. they are doing a good job at that, even if sometime words are little different at least the lips are sync. the actors they choose on the other hand are not always the best.
it's just a matter of how much money the company can put and how much success and well known a movie/series/game/whatever is.

But in general, I prefer watching a movie in its original audio version, with subtitles. English voices are far better than dub, and I'm sure all original version are better than dubs. (talking about movies and TV series)
of course anime don't have real actors talking in front of the camera and are only dubs, but again, interest and money is the key to a good dub.

Feeling it!

Pure Logical Feels.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is an honest and on topic answer to that.
You have to talk over the japanese so the quality is alot lower and it is louder.
Also the characters are meant to fit in with those jap voices.....and they translate wrong.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You have to talk over the japanese so the quality is alot lower and it is louder.
english is not always dubbed over a mute version of the video?
we have some videos with french voices over american voices too, but that's usually for american shows like "storage war" or "Extreme Makeover" to add dramatic effect... but that's the lowest dubbing job we can get here.

movies, series and anime are always done clean, with the original voice removed.

Feeling it!

Pure Logical Feels.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we have some videos with french voices over american voices too, but that's usually for american shows like "storage war" or "Extreme Makeover" to add dramatic effect... but that's the lowest dubbing job we can get here.

movies, series and anime are always done clean, with the original voice removed.
^Yeah most of the time nowadays they will mute it and then re-add the SFX and then do the voices or in whatever order but the quality is always off in terms of volume and lip-sync and kinda everything else.
I do watch subs and then dubs all the time to see how good the quality is.....and also dubs take forever to come out.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well yeah, i mean when i watch kung fu movies, they sometimes still speak chinese and then you hear english over the voice. Sometimes is muted and then the voice is voiced over and the pace speed and timing is all to match the lip movements instead of just being like how some forigen documentaries have the people talk normal and then louder voice over :P

Anime is different, as in the people in japan record the voices last, and is a different audio track not inserted into the video, cause they know they should out source it for localisation and they do it. They make the video animation, and then send videos over to international localisation companies so the audio track don't intefere with recording. To be honest the whole proccess is complicated but it works. Funimation has some videos explaining and showing their process of doing the dubs and localisation for anime, that maybe people should find interesting :)

Reactions: Feeling it!

Feeling it!

Pure Logical Feels.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the time you just lose feeling and raw emotion in tone of voice even more so when they change certain words you expect them to say a classic line but something completely different comes out of their mouths.
Just like if they would take the beginning of jojo's bizarre adventure and replace Dio saying "You expected jojo but it was me Dio!" With something like "I was your first!"

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
my answer is more generic but I think I can explain my point :
Cultural difference/ language
I don't know very well hoe to explain but in englsh you can show irony with words, in japanese it work more with entonation.
for example in smash DX/Brawl I noticed that the original dubthe character talk half of the redub XD like Wolf, japanese in his taunts he says " Doshita, doshitaa?", in english " What the matter, scared?", it's a good translation but how can the actor say too much with the same entonation effect? other are like wth they are doing, like PIt , he does V sign and " PISSU" ad in english : VICTORYYYYYY xD It's most for cutural meaning of the sign.... bad dubs I consider there LIke ike that they totally changed the character or sonic that for some reason is an asshole in western versions and a cool dude in japanese (come on, sonic looks down at TAILS, HIS BIG BUDDY it's not right prouction lol) well, in brawl he as on the better times yet .... anyway

I'm very critic of that, yes, I rather have dub on the original than a lot of these lazily dones :/ even if original is not that good...
I mean, did you even watched a USa cartoon in japanese? one time I was curious and looked for mickey XD it's scary how it's similar, they don't want to put all their cultureon the thing like a lot of "jelly filled donuts" we know , they just dub trying to be near the original, the redubs of japanese stuff should be like this, the animation are made to match it, doing diferent don't go :/

I really don't understand how, in general, first english dub of something is really very good, but if it's a redub, rarely is good :/ (Or I'm unlucky... or much critic XD)

- the perception in Japan that English dubs are superior because it's not their native language so they don't notice the flaws in the dubs like they do when it's in their own language. Ironic, eh?
nope, enlish is not my native language and I ever hated TAils englsih dub, even before getting my otaku card XD

Reactions: Feeling it!

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic Heroes, Best sonic voice cast :creep:

Except amy.... thank god for the mute button.

Oh god Sonic X rouge over Sonic Adventure2 ? Don't make me laugh.

Someone please stop me!:rofl2:

Although the new modern sonic breaks 4th wall a lot so I find it charming.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sonic Heroes, Best sonic voice cast :creep:

Except amy.... thank god for the mute button.

Oh god Sonic X rouge over Sonic Adventure2 ? Don't make me laugh.

Someone please stop me!:rofl2:

Although the new modern sonic breaks 4th wall a lot so I find it charming.
the SH cats was the best english cast (exept tails urgh I was going to play in english but just the "You're gonna crash AH!"part , I had to look for jP iso hahha ) but the localization was +/-...
Now in SA, jp voices even not being that good in jp, an dthe english subs , we can see how wth they did with the script ... BIG more derp than normal, knucled self expliative ( from "Hm? ", 'GYAA!!!" to "what is this?" and " OH NO !!" ? really, english native people are this emotionless to don't understand what he meant without words? )

And with games being produced by western it only went worse.. sonic being an asshole , everything needed to be explicated even being very cleary shows, and talking TOO MUCh
(like in sonic boom:
*hey activate the alarms* oh no sonic we activated the alarms!
*show robot guards coming* the robots guards are coming! we gotta get out!)
By myself I say like western and JP sonic are different characters :/ I don't tell they killed the franchise but they don't really continued it :B whta happened with the history between sonic 3&K to SA ?
SH was a bit generic for me in history , was reapeting the formula : pass the stages, get emeralds ,last battle in space, no relevant history, more of " let's do what is working " XD

(sorry kinda offtopic :v .. well still a bit in because say about dub diference? XD)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning