ROM Hack Question why are all the 60fps and graphic mods focused on handheld mode?

mc711

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i really appreciate all the mods and always check this forum for new mods, but i noticed that they are all focused on handheld mode. is there any specific reason? i know the switch is a portable device, but all these mods are very battery intensive so wouldn't focusing on docked mode be better?

sure, we can use the official charger mode, but playing on such a small screen attached to the wall (via charger) seems so counterproductive when you can play on a big screen and wireless (via controller/joycon)...

i would think target 720p and 60fps in docked would be a reasonable target (unless higher rez can be reached)

anyways, i am really curious as to the reasoning and really appreciate the efforts of this community.

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because devs usually target the docked mode for whatever is considered "max". Usually the settings are set to max, some games just dont stay at max consistently, so the only mod needed would be an overclock.

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i would think target 720p and 60fps in docked would be a reasonable target (unless higher rez can be reached)

You can do this with the 60fps mods and use ReverseNX to make the switch use handheld settings while in the dock. So if a game runs 720p 60fps in handheld, you can do the same with a dock!

https://github.com/masagrator/ReverseNX-RT
This version requires Tesla for the overlay. If you don't have/want tesla you can find the non-RT version.

Also, you can skip being tethered to a wall outlet if you get a nice portable battery, preferably with PD (Power Delivery) from the usb-c port. I can help you decide what to get if you want to do this!

Reactions: catimarie

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i really appreciate all the mods and always check this forum for new mods, but i noticed that they are all focused on handheld mode. is there any specific reason? i know the switch is a portable device, but all these mods are very battery intensive so wouldn't focusing on docked mode be better?

sure, we can use the official charger mode, but playing on such a small screen attached to the wall (via charger) seems so counterproductive when you can play on a big screen and wireless (via controller/joycon)...

anyways, i am really curious as to the reasoning and really appreciate the efforts of this community.
And I don't think you have thinked this through.
What are handheld clocks? 1020 MHz CPU, 307, 384, 460 MHz GPU, 1331 MHz RAM.
Docked clocks: 1020 MHz CPU, 768 MHz GPU, 1600 MHz RAM

What are the highest possible clocks available: 1785 MHz CPU, 921 MHz GPU, 1600 MHz RAM
Which mode has the highest potential for overclock?
Handheld mode: 175% CPU, 300%, 240%, 200% GPU, 120% RAM
Docked mode: 175% CPU, 120% GPU, 1:1 RAM

So if devs are using both modes to their limits, isn't this counter productive to focus on docked mode, when you have much higher potential in handheld?

Last edited by masagrator,

mc711

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What are the highest possible clocks available: 1785 MHz CPU, 921 MHz GPU, 1600 MHz RAM

So if devs are using both modes to their limits, isn't this counter productive to focus on docked mode, where you have much higher potential for handheld?
i understand your logic with the percentage comparison, in afterthought i guess i could just use reverseNX, but i thought if you guys focused on max clocks via dock (1785/921/1600) we could achieve the max potential running lower target resolution (~600-720p non-dynamic) and better graphic settings for docked, since devs rely on stock clocks for docked mode. i guess my biggest gripe was having to always use the charger and play on a small screen, but i guess ill just use reverseNX. i appreciate the response masagrator and all the effort you put into these mods.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So if devs are using both modes to their limits, isn't this counter productive to focus on docked mode, when you have much higher potential in handheld?
No, because the potential is the same: 1785MHz. Looking at it from a percentage basis is flawed, as the overclocks achieve the same end result.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No, because the potential is the same: 1785MHz. Looking at it from a percentage basis is flawed, as the overclocks achieve the same end result.
Ok, so next numbers.

Crash Team Racing.
Handheld: 480p, 30 FPS, lower graphics settings.
Docked: 720p, 30 FPS, higher graphics settings.

OC potential:
Handheld mode: 175% CPU, 240% GPU, 120% RAM

Question:
Where you have higher chance of getting 60 FPS without changing anything else? Time is ticking.

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
In my case always target docked mode first, not interested that the game looks super pretty in handheld mode, then again I only do graphic mods, not 60fps mods.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so next numbers.

Crash Team Racing.
Handheld: 480p, 30 FPS, lower graphics settings.
Docked: 720p, 30 FPS, higher graphics settings.

OC potential:
Handheld mode: 175% CPU, 240% GPU, 120% RAM

Question:
Where you have higher chance of getting 60 FPS without changing anything else? Time is ticking.
But, again, you have to OC handheld to even reach the docked speeds. So, sure, percentage wise, handheld can be overcooked more. But again, that's only because docked is already running at those higher speeds. So yes you have more room to play with with handheld mode, but then the 60fps mods will never be for full quality., Which I thought was one of points. Why not just make a 60fps mod for docked resolutions using max speeds?

Reactions: LightBeam

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
But, again, you have to OC handheld to even reach the docked speeds. So, sure, percentage wise, handheld can be overcooked more. But again, that's only because docked is already running at those higher speeds. So yes you have more room to play with with handheld mode, but then the 60fps mods will never be for full quality., Which I thought was one of points. Why not just make a 60fps mod for docked resolutions using max speeds?
What do you mean? Most 60fps mods apply both for handheld and docked, but of course its A LOT easier to reach stable 60 in handheld mode cause of low gfx preset used. The game uses different gfx preset when docked and you just won't reach 60fps without using ReverseNX to make it think like its handheld while using dock (which is an awesome tool btw).

Simply put, to reach 60fps docked with high gfx you need the possibility to OC gpu past 1000MHz which is not efficient and dangerous temp wise.

Last edited by bad361,
Reactions: LightBeam

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What do you mean? Most 60fps mods apply both for handheld and docked, but of course its A LOT easier to reach stable 60 in handheld mode cause of low gfx preset used. The game uses different gfx preset when docked and you just won't reach 60fps without using ReverseNX to make it think like its handheld while using dock (which is an awesome tool btw).
Well THAT'S a good argument. I wasn't sure about games using less "ressources" when it was in handheld, but as OrGoN3 said, using percentages isn't really convincing since the docked mode is already running at higher speeds so of course the potential of OC isn't the same.

So basically, mods do focus on handheld modes because it's safer to OC with low graphics settings.
Reminds me of the settings in Darksiders 1 with Performance and "Graphics" mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat