Hacking Why am I so scared to install a vc game?

PlooBloo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel the exact same way. I just can't get myself to install VC games even though there's quite a few I want. I guess I've taken enough from Nintendo, and I'll just feel bad if I do this. I don't play through most Wii games, so it's more like a demo session for me with Wii games.

Mikomaxless

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've installed a couple. I've also bought several. In terms of my morals, I believe that I can get a little freebie. If I'm buying 10 games, I believe I can sneak one freebie by. It's bad, but... >_>

But that doesn't stop the feelings I get from doing it, though. I feel bad, but since I'm now living alone, financial issues come up.

oligore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I see downloading Wii ware morally worse than stealing songs because most of them are from independent companies. Downloading VC is morally the same as emulation considering I already have most of the 64 games I downloaded and the people who actually wrote the SNES and NES games probably stopped getting paid by the publishers

Seroczynski

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
nanika said:
Play time history and folders.

Thank you
smile.gif
Doesn't seem a thing they will actively look into tho, hehe.

I'm out of this thread, seems I'm not such a good guy as most of you here are, lol.

Sotoro

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Narin said:
Eh, theres a lot more they can do if they were inclined to. They can upgrade the firmware, remember? They could have it silently update your firmware the next time you connect to any of their online services and block you out of the Wii. I don't see this as likely to happen, but it is a possibility.

Lol, that will never happen...

elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Even if they ban your wii, they only can ban your current WFC ID. Yes I say current because after you reformat your Wii, they will never be able to tell that you stole from them. (Unless you do it again)

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Stalkid64 said:
I can't afford a Porsche. Doesn't mean I'm entitled in any way shape or form to steal one.
That's different, when you steal a Porsche, someone else has lost a Porsche which he paid for. When you download a VC game, that same VC game stays on the computer of the one whom you downloaded from. So it's more like copying a Porsche for free, noone loses anything, only Porsche sells a few less cars probably. But since you wouldn't have bought a Porsche if it wasn't free anyway, they don't loose anything on you.

elfsander said:
Even if they ban your wii, they only can ban your current WFC ID. Yes I say current because after you reformat your Wii, they will never be able to tell that you stole from them. (Unless you do it again)
QUOTE(Narin @ May 14 2008, 06:06 AM)
Each Wii also has a unique identifier as well which could possibly be traced back to the hardware due to the identifier not changing when the Wii is reformatted.

Stalkid64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except you aren't just "copying" that content, by doing so in the case of Wiiware, you're stealing that money *directly* affects a small company or individual who cannot afford the loss of sales. Or perhaps the "we deserve this for nothing!" crowd here agree that you should all work for free like them? Otherwise, you're hypocrites.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Stalkid64 said:
Except you aren't just "copying" that content, by doing so in the case of Wiiware, you're stealing that money *directly* affects a small company or individual who cannot afford the loss of sales. Or perhaps the "we deserve this for nothing!" crowd here agree that you should all work for free like them? Otherwise, you're hypocrites.
If I download a random game which I wouldn't have bought if it wasn't possible to get it for free, then they won't loose money, because they won't make money if I just don't get the game either.

If I were interested in the game and would normally spend $10 to buy it, but now won't because free is even cheaper, then that would be a lost sale, but not when you weren't even planning to buy the game or something.

I am going to buy LostWinds when it gets to Europe because I would have bought it if it wasn't possible to get it for free. But I won't buy that FF game, because I hate it when games cost more then they look like they cost, because half of the content must be unlocked by paying more, and normally wouldn't buy it for that reason (and some other reasons like I don't like all the crappy FF milking stuff coming to Nintendo consoles and Square isn't a small company who really needs those moneys anyway). I probably will download it though, just to see if it's something interesting, but on that they won't loose sales because I'm not buying it either way.

And the Porsche comparison remains bullshit, stealing something from someone is something completely different from downloading a copy.

porchemasi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you use a NDS flashcard ... or a Wii modchip.... VC roms are no damn different. If you feel so bad, use a Emulator on your wii (the new Wii Emu Channels are nice) .... its the same damn thing.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Actually not
lecture.gif

Because Nintendo now make's money with their channels... Emu's use roms from NES and SNES ... These are no income for Nintendo. So they will not make a big prob of that !!
grog.gif

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think it's very laudable of all you people to have this feeling. It's good to see people that are willing to pay for this great service.

I just chose to not go online permanent. I hate all the online multiplayer shit on the Wii. Plus I already did some naughty stuff on my Wii, so they're probably would find out sooner or later.

So I just chose to download EVERYTHING....without even the slightest bit of remorse.

Oh yeah I bought Wii Fit!
laugh.gif

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
berlinka said:
I think it's very laudable of all you people to have this feeling. It's good to see people that are willing to pay for this great service.

I just chose to not go online permanent. I hate all the online multiplayer shit on the Wii. Plus I already did some naughty stuff on my Wii, so they're probably would find out sooner or later.

So I just chose to download EVERYTHING....without even the slightest bit of remorse.

Oh yeah I bought Wii Fit!
laugh.gif

Thats cool you bought wii fit. I really want to get it as well.

I'm still hesitant about installing Wiiware games however I will look into the emulator channels. That looks nice.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm not downloading WiiWare stuff for moral reasons.. most developers on WiiWare are new and don't have much money.. and they're doing better stuff than a lot of big, old developers. I want to support them..
smile.gif

As for VC games.. IMO, Nintendo is charging too much for games that old and with no new features at all.. I would buy them if I could have online multiplayer.. or some new features.. also, I can download them and play for free on my PC.. in some cases, WITH ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!

Hazz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doing your research is the biggest key with this stuff. I have been looking into this ever since the Twilight Hack first came out. Now, the wads have piqued my interest so much that I decided to order Zelda off of ebay. After researching, these as they currently stand are 100% safe as long as you 1) don't screw around in the shop channel (although you actually can, I'd rather be completely safe) 2) don't leave WC24 on and 3) don't let the Nintendo channel get your info. Also, don't system update until you check boards to see that it is ok. You can use the wad uninstaller to clear everything and make all features once again safe. Otherwise, all other features with wads installed are a ok since the Wii is operated through decentralized online unlike XBL.

In regards to morals: As far as I am concerned, since I bought SMB3 and SM64 and Tecmo Super Bowl, I see nothing wrong with playing them again through wads or injection. I also plan on buying some games I really want such as Target Toss Pro and Dr. Mario. So therefore, nothing wrong in my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over