Hacking Why am I so scared to install a vc game?

idunnoilikends

OP
Trophies
Website
www.swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
I mean, I do everything else.
Music
DS roms
Snes Roms
Nes Roms
Computer games
Every rom...(I have every single nes and snes rom ever)
unsure.gif

But I can't put myself to directly steal from a service... It feels like I'm really hurting someone somewhere...
And I don't want to bestow the wrath of nintendo upon me, Im SURE they can see what were doing to the vc.
Whats wrong with me? I just can't do it....
(could this possibly mean I have a sense of remorse for pirating now O__O)

The only rom I want to install is Starfox and some n64 ones and maybe lost winds but I just can't do it... =[

I may do it someday, but for now I'm flying straight. At least intill we see what nintendo does.

priapism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can't tell if this is a moral issue for you or if you are just scared of the Nintendo hammer coming down on you.

i loaded some VC wads onto my Wii but then i got scared. i heard rumors flying around that Nintendo could easily tell that the things were stolen and that there would be consequences. i quickly made up my mind to use the wad uninstaller to remove any trace of the VC games on my Wii (they are still in my play history
unsure.gif
).

i now have my roms on my SD card. i use the Wii Homebrew Channel and Wii Homebrew Launcher. this is a good technique because it saves space on the Wii and it keeps Nintendo in the dark a little bit more (i'm guessing they can still tell i am using some weird channel). also, you can get roms that aren't released on VC.

now i have to decide what i am going to do about Wiiware. the titles aren't that expensive but they will add up. plus why pay for something when you can get it for free? i have no morals when it comes to this kind of thing but i am concerned about how much Nitendo knows and what they could possibly do about it.

i guess all i need is some convincing and i am sure i will be playing free Wiiware soon.

gaboumafou

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Same thing for me...

But I don't really have remorses or anything, it's just that I'm really afraid to brick my Wii with future upgrades or anything... I'm a really poor student, so my Wii is quite important for me since I wouldn't be able to buy another one would it break... (Why do you think I pirate? Lack of money for gaming!)

I installed a chip a little less than a year after they got out, since I then knew it wasn't really risky (and I knew how to avoid the potential issues). But with Wiiware/VC, I am still afraid something could happen...

Please tell me I'm paranoid and nothing will happen: I really want to play LostWinds, but, in these times, I can't really afford to pay for things like that, and hell, I don't even have Wifi here... ^^"

Kiok

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
Dude exactly how i feel. After VC games were released on the net. I starting to realize how bad piracy is...
Like you said "It feels like I'm really hurting someone somewhere..."
(heh least im not the only one)

idunnoilikends

OP
Trophies
Website
www.swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm a poor highschool student.
If I get a job I might buy a wii and install every wiiware + vc game.
I would do it if I knew it was safe to do so. and I dont want to loose my precious wii

hemanthegreat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My only concern would be a perma-ban and I wouldn't be able to go online with a game that I really want to go online with. Don't give me a speech, I just haven't played a game on Wii yet where the online really appealed to me(no, MK and SB haven't been able to entice me to logging on). I'm not concerned enough about getting banned to keep from trying to install injected wads, but I would be bummed if I got banned.

JJBro1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i have a bunch of vc game installed and nothings happened so far, i suggest turning wiiconnect 24 off.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, have you ever set up a proxy server, or have a packet monitoring device attacked too your network that your Wii is on? Nintendo does collect information about the Wii every time you use one of their services like the Wii shop, when you download a firmware update or anything else for that matter and so on. Each Wii also has a unique identifier as well which could possibly be traced back to the hardware due to the identifier not changing when the Wii is reformatted.

You can fairly safe if you don't do anything suspicious, If you install Wads or tickets on your Wii and then go to the shop to download or redownload them, Nintendo will have records of that and if you actually purchased them or not. Also the XBOX360 and the PS3 has a Wii to detect if the Firmware or hardware has been tampered with or if a Modchip was installed, hence why people with tampered consoles can;t connect to XBOX Live and such, but I'm not sure if the Wii has a similar check for such tampering. Though it may be possible since the Wii has an upgradable Firmware and such things can always be added in the future.

At any rate, at this time, Nintendo has been quiet. They are capable of blocking you from their services, Nintendo WiFi or even send a kill code (Which may be a bit extreme) to the Wii and basically brick it. It may be possible, but the question is, will Nintendo do it? Some people sy it may never happen, but to tell you the truth, thats just wishful thinking. If Nintendo finds that piracy is ruining their sales or ruining the online experience, they may very well start banning people.

So all I can say is simply be cautious in what you do on the Wii. If you softmod the Wii and do things offline like run homebrew and so on, your fairly afe. Though installing VC games or pirating anything else from their online services is risky and will always pose a risk if Nintendo were inclined to act on it.

So in the end, its up to the end user is they decide to take that risk.

ninjya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
They haven't banned any DS's yet. ^^

Anyways, a lot of people are pirating the games coming out to Wii... One would wish they atleast bought the VC titles and WiiWare since the money goes directly to Nintendo and the developers. You save so much on the games you can afford to spend 5 dollars on a vc title or whatever.

Seroczynski

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Don't be so paranoid
wink.gif
They will never brick your Wii, or at least they can never succed without help from yourself, since you're the one who has to allow an update
wink.gif

Only troubles I see is that it's pretty sh*tty for the new developers (talking pirated WiiWare here). I don't give a sh*t about anything else, hell, I'll even pirate WiiWare just because I can!

Not gonna buy VC games I own originally btw, I see no harm in VC hacking.

nanika

文鎮じゃダメ!まぁ、こんな文字小さしすぎてどうせ読めないっしょ。
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nihlathak said:
Ok, what about telling me what it doesn't remove then?
Play time history and folders.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you get banned buy a new Wii. You people will be banned one way or another if you think about it. The most they CAN do is kick you off the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection. Which in my opinion lost all its value now that you can install VC stuff.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Renegade_R said:
If you get banned buy a new Wii. You people will be banned one way or another if you think about it. The most they CAN do is kick you off the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection. Which in my opinion lost all its value now that you can install VC stuff.
Eh, theres a lot more they can do if they were inclined to. They can upgrade the firmware, remember? They could have it silently update your firmware the next time you connect to any of their online services and block you out of the Wii. I don't see this as likely to happen, but it is a possibility.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over