Why am I having trouble enjoying games!?

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has been going on for a while, but it's most obvious with my 3DS. I've owned Mario Kart 7, OOT, Starfox 64, Kid Icarus Uprising, Tetris Axis, Super Mario Land 3D, Resident Evil Mercenaries, and at one point Sims 3 (which I THINK I can sue EA for false advertising, but I know it's more trouble then it's worth...). Out of ALL of those games, I didn't care for anything past the first 3, selling off everything else to get other games or something... And even Mario Kart 7 is on the chopping block (though unlikely I'll sell that one off as it is the go-to place for 3DS multiplayer at the moment..).

Why is it becoming so hard for me to actually be engaged with games? Am I just getting to old? Is 21 too old!?

Sigh... At least it's not the end of the world. Today I traded in Kid Icarus Uprising (for the record, I enjoyed the NES game far more) among a couple other games (GTA IV, but only because it was a duplicate, and Pokemon Diamond because I doubt I would have ever played it again). I got Sonic Generations (for my PS3, not my 3DS), and I've been enjoying that FAR more then I did Uprising.

I don't know... I'm kind of rambling.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like you just need to find some games that cater to your tastes/mood right now. maybe delve into some retro stuff perhaps or try a different type of game you wouldnt usually go for

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
A game is suppose to be fun, And if you are not having fun with the game, it means 3 things.

1) The game Sucks
2) The game is not your "type"
3) You are forcing yourself to play it.

And for this I think you are forcing yourself to play, you should stop playing for a while and play when the mood comes, do something else in the meantime.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Because RE Mercs, Tetris Axis and even SM3DLand to a lesser extent are not games that are bound to hold your attention for that long. Play some different fucking games.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who said anything about playing games for a long time in a single sitting? I play them once or twice, then forget they even exist.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has happened to me before, I recommend taking a "gaming vacation" until you really feel the urge to play again. That vacation may last weeks, months, or even years, but it's best to wait it out rather than waste your money and bore yourself into submission.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of know the feeling, I've been buying 3DS games, beating them, then selling them at a slightly lower price than what I bought them at. The only games I won't be trading in are Ocarina of Time 3D, Tales of the Abyss (because it was so hard to get back then) and MK7 because the online is fun.

I think it's just that with most 3DS games, once the single player mode is finished, there's not much reason to keep it.

Alaude

Trophies
XP
Country
India
its a common problem with handhelds :). i too get that feeling a lot with my PSP. what i do about that is i leave playing for months and i get some kind urge to play it again.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Like other people are suggesting, maybe take a break from gaming for a while. Last summer I rarely played anything, as there weren't many games I was interested in, and I lost interesting in gaming in general for the most part. So instead of forcing myself to play, I just played when I really wanted to, and did other stuff like browse websites, listen to music, swim, etc. to pass time.

Eventually there'll be a game you want, you'll get it, and you'll enjoy gaming again. Everyone gets bored of something after doing it for so long, no matter what it is.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the 3ds, for obvious reasons, is the only system I've actually bought games for. I've had the system since the end of last November, and I've only 100% 2 games (oot and mutant mudds). I've had Tales of the Abyss since it came out, and I think I only have seven hours in the game. I still haven't fully beaten super mario land (have 200 or so coins and am at special world 7) which I've had since December. heck, I haven't even beaten Mighty Switch Force (a game that takes less than an hour), and I've had the game for months. personally, I think it's important to savor the gaming experience. there r a lot of gamers who'll play a game, which they had been waiting for for months if not years, until they beat it. I remember reading of some people clocking in 60 hours in abyss within a week. I like to play every now and then rather than all at once otherwise I'd have nothing to play for months at a time. after all, there's a lot of crap released for every systems in between the few good releases.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried out Diablo 3 yet? Try to get a Guest Key off of a friend (or someone here, too). I've played D1 a little bit, haven't tried D2, and on a whim decided to pre-order D3. I should have been asleep three hours ago.

This is the first game to majorly grab me like this since minecraft, which is another game I recommend you try if you haven't already.

Reactions: 1 person

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have a similar problem I guess. The past 2 months or so I'm really getting bored with games in general, I've tried so many decent games that have been on my "to do" list for quite some time, and all of them failed within the first 30-60 minutes....
I think I'm just getting bored of games in general, played so much already, only 19 years old atm. I think I need a new hobby and wait till the urge comes back.....

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guest passes don't have a time limit, but there's a level limit and I think you can only quest for so far...

On that note, I don't need a guest pass.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You know why you enjoy Sonic Generation? Because that game kicks ass! Seriously that game is beyond amazing!

I think it is kind of a phase. I also have this sometime, because I tend to enjoy different genres at different time. The same with music: sometimes more rock, sometimes more hiphop and then again sometimes more casual pop... It is strange!

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're really not enjoying games right now, take a breather. Forcing enjoyment is going to get you nowhere and just cost you a good deal of money in the long run.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'd say reconsider the position gaming takes in your life. Games work best to pass idle time or to relieve stress.

I dunno about your situation, but it could be that you're just urging to start a career or find a girlfriend. In that case, it's pretty normal that gaming isn't that much fun anymore. It'll be that "is this what I'm going to do with my life?" kind of feeling. It's obviously best solved by putting some meaning into said life. ;)

The other possibility is that your taste in gaming is just shifting. I used to be a hardcore PC FPS shooter. Then I went all casual with wii games. Now I'm more back into PC gaming.
Considering mentioned games, I'd also like to mention that at one point, you won't be affected by the "hype train" anymore. In that case, it's better to just give other types of games a chance.
(eg. I never played diablo before...but now I'm enjoying diablo 3 very much).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: