Hacking Who´s gonna write that nice emulator for us?

John Player

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, now we have kernel access, and Wii U might not have the biggest games library, but it sure has a lot of untapped potential on it. It allows me to play games while my wife is watching TV and browse the Web, among other things. So now the one thing that´s missing are emulators. Yes, we have Virtual Console injection, but we´re still hoping for the day we can play our Mega Drive/Sega Genesis collection in that interesting Wii U pad controller. And it really amuses me that no one is trying to create homebrew for it. Where are those talented developers who write emulators for almost any system in existence? C´mon guys, we need you! Wii U will soon be out of new releases and it´s time to put our consoles to good use by playing old-school games in our beds!

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
So, now we have kernel access, and Wii U might not have the biggest games library, but it sure has a lot of untapped potential on it. It allows me to play games while my wife is watching TV and browse the Web, among other things. So now the one thing that´s missing are emulators. Yes, we have Virtual Console injection, but we´re still hoping for the day we can play our Mega Drive/Sega Genesis collection in that interesting Wii U pad controller. And it really amuses me that no one is trying to create homebrew for it. Where are those talented developers who write emulators for almost any system in existence? C´mon guys, we need you! Wii U will soon be out of new releases and it´s time to put our consoles to good use by playing old-school games in our beds!

Be patient, don't rush devs, its pointless and probably makes it postponed even longer.

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Things are being worked on. Unfortunately, it seems that only the developers that were on 5.5.x firmware without any kernel the longest and new to the scene, are the only ones that care about it. Things like this could have been developed or been started to be developed long ago, but most of the attitude was that people only cared about piracy, which became a self-fulfilling prophecy, since nothing else was worked on ...

There are a handful of us that are working on some things, and maybe even more of the developers that have been around a long time, are working on things as well, but I don't know. However, the group of devs I've been working with wants to give things out publicly, and not keep it for our own enjoyment so we can feel special, that's all I do know. Just give us some time, we are months, even years behind most other devs.

A Genesis emulator is one of the things I want too. Once I am comfortable working with the Wii U GX2 graphics and sound, it will be one of the first emulators I do end up doing, unless someone beats me to it.

Last edited by brienj,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And, you have to go into vWii mode, which makes it less awesome on the Wii U.

Yeah, I wish there was a way to change it so the Wii U can boot automatically into Wii mode without having to hold the B button. Good emulator, but Wii mode is kind of, eh.

It's still early days but you should check out Quarks github. Things are happening slowly. :)

Like what? :P

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Like what? :P

Well, I haven't committed it yet, but I've convinced a specially compiled libretro core (stella) to tell me that it is indeed API v1. This may not sound very impressive but it does mean I've got code execution. All that's left is memory, graphics, input, game loading... (The stack seems to be working out of the box though which is good)

I'm really sorry but I couldn't convince snes9x to compile at all - the libretro makefile system is beyond me. Tbh I wasn't even able to get it compiled for the original Wii (which is meant to be supported!).

Of course, all this is public here (although I haven't uploaded the code exec stuff yet, I will get to that I promise)

Also @brienj if I could get some help once you learn GX2 that'd be awesome.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I haven't committed it yet, but I've convinced a specially compiled libretro core (stella) to tell me that it is indeed API v1. This may not sound very impressive but it does mean I've got code execution. All that's left is memory, graphics, input, game loading... (The stack seems to be working out of the box though which is good)

I'm really sorry but I couldn't convince snes9x to compile at all - the libretro makefile system is beyond me. Tbh I wasn't even able to get it compiled for the original Wii (which is meant to be supported!).

Of course, all this is public here (although I haven't uploaded the code exec stuff yet, I will get to that I promise)

Also @brienj if I could get some help once you learn GX2 that'd be awesome.

Maybe ask the Libretro team for help on their Libretro forums? Surely, they can provide insight?

John Player

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Things are being worked on. Unfortunately, it seems that only the developers that were on 5.5.x firmware without any kernel the longest and new to the scene, are the only ones that care about it. Things like this could have been developed or been started to be developed long ago, but most of the attitude was that people only cared about piracy, which became a self-fulfilling prophecy, since nothing else was worked on ...

There are a handful of us that are working on some things, and maybe even more of the developers that have been around a long time, are working on things as well, but I don't know. However, the group of devs I've been working with wants to give things out publicly, and not keep it for our own enjoyment so we can feel special, that's all I do know. Just give us some time, we are months, even years behind most other devs.

A Genesis emulator is one of the things I want too. Once I am comfortable working with the Wii U GX2 graphics and sound, it will be one of the first emulators I do end up doing, unless someone beats me to it.

Great! That´s wonderful to know some nice thing are coming our way.

It´s saddening to see that most users are just focused on piracy and nothing else. As If said, WiiI U ha s a lot of potential under its hood. I I only knew how to code, I´d come with lots of ideas. But let´s hope and see great things in the future. I believe Wii U brings more possibilities than any other console in the market today.

ajd4096

Trophies
XP
Country

Why don't you do it?

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Just to give a bit of context for others wanting to make threads like this, it's only been a little over a month since the 5.5 kexploit was made public (May 2/3 depending on timezone). For most devs (myself included) the first time we ever saw HBL running on our Wii Us was a little over a month ago. To go from there to having some good homebrew ported over (try Space, UPaint, AstUroids etc...) and several projects underway (check your favourite dev's GitHub or start here) in around a month is a pretty impressive feat IMHO. I've figured out what I like to think are some more advanced techniques (making the bucket executable for instance), and some (brienj) have even gotten sound and GX2 to work. In a month!

I'd say we've done a pretty damn good job so far. I'm not poking fun at anyone here or anything, just letting you all know that progress is being made. Most aren't like the more... infamous devs. There might not be any WIP threads (never ends well) but progress is generally public - you don't need to push us to make and publicise new homebrew (we already want to!)

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome,

John Player

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just to give a bit of context for others wanting to make threads like this, it's only been a little over a month since the 5.5 kexploit was made public (May 2/3 depending on timezone). For most devs (myself included) the first time we ever saw HBL running on our Wii Us was a little over a month ago. To go from there to having some good homebrew ported over (try Space, UPaint, AstUroids etc...) and several projects underway (check your favourite dev's GitHub or start here) in around a month is a pretty impressive feat IMHO. I've figured out what I like to think are some more advanced techniques (making the bucket executable for instance), and some (brienj) have even gotten sound and GX2 to work. In a month!

I'd say we've done a pretty damn good job so far. I'm not poking fun at anyone here or anything, just letting you all know that progress is being made. Most aren't like the more... infamous devs. There might not be any WIP threads (never ends well) but progress is generally public - you don't need to push us to make and publicise new homebrew (we alreadly want to!)

Sorry. Didn´t mean to sound rude or overpush nobody. Maybe I´am a liltle too anxious to see more stuff coming, because what´s been released so far works so good. Or maybe I´m frustrated because I can´t write a single line of code (don´t know to). Anyways, I didn´t mean to offend anyone.

I hope you guys keep doing what you do and find all the enthusiasm you need to bring more amazing stuff to us. I know you will. Wish you guys nothing but the best!

Last edited by John Player,
Reactions: QuarkTheAwesome

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm waiting for IOSU access, allows us to enter wii mode with Wii U Gamepad enabled, there exist plenty of emulators on wii mode, and for Wii U emulation there's always VC injection. It's probably not going to run a ps2 emu, and nobody has made a fully functional xbox emu ever, so that will never happen. Emulation wise we pretty much already have everything outside of a native ps1 emulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things