Who's gonna miss the XMB?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Slyakin, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Slyakin
    OP

Slyakin See ya suckers

Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Soviet Slyakin
    If you haven't already noticed, the PSVita is going to do away with the XMB (XrossMediaBar) from the PSP and PS3 and go with a bubbled format called "LiveArea".

I appreciate change, but the LiveArea looks like it'll need work. We've seen pictures of the actual product, so I don't think there will be much change. It doesn't seem as nice as the XMB, IMO.

What are your guy's and gal's opinions?

EDIT: Fixed the god-awful grammar.

2. DarkShinigami

DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Soul Society
    personally i love the xmb but its a good idea in my honest opinion

3. Nujui

Nujui I need something to do.

Aug 12, 2010
    United States
    Dreamland.
    It will probably go through changes as it's being developed still.

4. Slyakin
    OP

Slyakin See ya suckers

Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Soviet Slyakin
    Yeah, but the things that they might change probably still won't fix the problem for me.

It just seems... Too cluttered and disorganized. Like they might just have random games you have installed float around the screen. I wish I could explore it for myself.

5. jamesaa

jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

GBAtemp Patron
    jamesaa is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 8, 2006
    I keep looking at those round icons and thinking something is off with them, but i have no idea what [​IMG] (maybe i'm just used to the more 'square-ish' icons in windows, ios etc)

I've always been fine with the XMB, but i can see how it could need changing with the touchscreen interface and how it seems likely you'll have lots of games and maybe apps installed on the device (much better to have a full screen of icons than an endless list to scroll though)

Either way 99% of the time you're not looking at the menu, you're playing a game so it certainly wouldn't change whether or not i buy the console.

6. Slyakin
    OP

Slyakin See ya suckers

Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Soviet Slyakin
    YES. THIS is what I was trying to elaborate. It just feels off.

And yeah, I probably won't be navigating the menu for more then 5 seconds. The menu isn't gonna push me away from the PSVita (in fact, I already pre-ordered it).

7. Nujui

Aug 12, 2010
    United States
    Dreamland.
    If they did do that they'd probably let you move them around or maybe have different menus for games and etc.

8. Slyakin
    OP

Slyakin See ya suckers

Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Soviet Slyakin
    There could be, but from the pictures given, it has the PS Store next to two games, and then Near services, and then god knows what else. It just bothers my OCD. [​IMG]

I hope you're right.

9. Nujui

Aug 12, 2010
    United States
    Dreamland.
    Remember, it's still in development, we won't know what the full menu is like until we get to see the final product for ourselves.

10. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    I really liked XMB but if LiveArea offers Android-esque customization than I'll be happy bunny. As I too am an OCD bastard.

BTW bold signature, Bro.

11. ThatDudeWithTheFood

ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

Mar 9, 2009
    United States
    Illuminati
    XMB is the shit but if LiveArea works and people theme it well I think it'll be just as pwnage.

12. Slyakin
    OP

Slyakin See ya suckers

Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Soviet Slyakin
    Yeah, there has to be something similar to the "Press Square to group" from the PS3.

13. Maedhros

Maedhros GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 26, 2008
    Brazil
    I know why: because they're roundish, you have a lot of free space on the screen.

The important part is that it's functional too. The design... it can change with the time and firmware updates.

14. koimayeul

koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 2, 2009
    France
    France
    i can't say beforehand but i might miss the XMB as i see it very functional already

15. Requios

Requios Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2008
    United States
    I'm sure that Sony will at least make it a bit customizable. I do like the XMB, but there are times that I don't really enjoy scrolling from side to side and from top to bottom just to access some of my goodies, whether it be on PSP or PS3. The touch screen will probably make navigation a little nicer. I do agree, however, that the way the buttons/icons are laid out on the interface is a little awkward.

16. Narayan

Narayan desu~

Sep 29, 2010
    i want the menu of the xmb. where i can properly see stuff organized n submenus. live area looks cluttered for me. and i don't like the way menus show up. idk what to call it...bouncy? bubbly?

17. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    I wonder if the PSP gets LiveArea too. I'm willing to give something new a chance (as long as we can go back if it sucks).

18. chris888222

chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Oct 11, 2010
    Senegal
    I really like XMB. but I also believe Sony can perfect the LiveArea OS as well as XMB, or even better. I am confident.

19. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Just for fun, the PSX (actual Japanese Sony machine, not the PS1) was apparently the first to implement the XMB. It was adopted to the PSP, and later, the PS3.

I'm hoping the Live Area thing helps to load from the memory more quickly for the stuff you actually want to see. I hate waiting on the PSP to access the memory card for each section when I first turn on my PSP.

20. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    I dunno, the XMB is really nice but the LiveArea looks like it's easier to navigate through. I do hope they allow you to customize the menu, though. The placement of the icons also bother me.

I'll reserve judgment until I get the Vita, though.