Who would buy my idea?

Natethekidrs00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im thinking on making a custom android handheld. it would be a basic android device running a custom launcher with a Bluetooth gamepad attached to the bottom connecting the two devices and having a piece of plastic added on the back to make the whole device flush and nice.

I plan on releasing retro versions with a nes Bluetooth controller and grey plastic plating and a super famicom version with snes colors and a bluetooth super famicom controller

they would be shaped like pretty much a 2ds and sell for around 45$ smartphone included 30 w/o smartphone

Also they would have a shared power supply because of a usb power bank with a usb to 2 micro usb cable

Also there would be multiple versions the low end build would cost 45$ the semi build would be 60 Note only the low end is being planned for now

low end specs
Dual-core 1.3GHz processor with 512MB of RAM
Android 4.4 KitKat OS
With Smart launcher 2 Pre-installed
3.47" touch screen
2.0MP rear camera
4GB internal memory plus microSD slot

Last edited by Natethekidrs00,

Natethekidrs00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kick starter? :creep:
i would start one but im only 16 XD

What specs ?
the android phone built in would be this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfon...lack/4427501.p?id=1219746386582&skuId=4427501 (its the most cost effective)

Specs now in the op

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Screenshot_2016-09-05-15-34-30.png
Screenshot_2016-09-05-15-34-55.png

This is Smart launcher 3 running on the device. Smart launcher is optional but will be preinstalled and running on the device. the launcher can be changed easily

Last edited by Natethekidrs00,

Jao Chu

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Handheld android gaming is a well-trodden path already.

Essentially any android smartphone + gameklip + ps3 controller = the idea you've purposed....

Me personally as a consumer, i would buy a gameklip because i own a powerful smart phone and dual shock 3 controller already.

Natethekidrs00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Handheld android gaming is a well-trodden path already.

Essentially any android smartphone + gameklip + ps3 controller = the idea you've purposed....

Me personally as a consumer, i would buy a gameklip because i own a powerful smart phone and dual shock 3 controller already.
still a gameklip could come off this is a solid one piece device strictly for gaming but you could use it for media

I already made this I sue you
i cant tell if this is sarcasm or not

Reactions: Tizm

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Well here are my thoughts:
-Dual Cores are really falling out of the android market.
-With a weak cpu I'd expect to miss out on quite a few great android games.
-2MP camera is pointless, either get 8+MP or remove camera
-You really have to think is there a demand for this because everyone has a smartphone in their pocket that can play all the games this thing could.
-Aren't there other handhelds out there that can do almost everything this idea could do?

So personally I don't think anyone would buy this idea well because your not the only one who has thought of this and (I don't mean this in a mean way) I don't think of it as a good well thought of idea.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make it an emulating machine. I'd like a custom screen on boot uo that has all the necessary emulators (nes, snes, n64, gc, gb, gbc, gba, atari, dos, make, master system, mega drive/Genesis, saturn, dream cast?, that Sega handheld, ds, etcetera) and a boot to android button, you'd actually be in Android the whole time, but it's like a separate home screen until you boot to android. Stuff like that's already possible (for example I can switch between TouchWiz and htc sense as my homescreen with a touch of a button and my phones home key will bring me to the appropriate home screen) so you'd have to make that custom homescreen, but other than that'd stock android would be good.

For specs, you might want a 64 bit processor (2-8 cores, preferably 4+), you'll want a decent processor a 3ghz processor or higher would be best for emulation, it can also be overclocked. Ram isn't as important for emulating but is good for modern android apps, 2gb is good, 4gb would be great if you plan on pulling an Nvidia sheild. A 7inch screen is good, and don't go crazy with the gpu, it's a tablet. One that can more than easily handle a 1080p ips screen is plenty. There are of course other things involved but with thone specs, you'd probably be looking at a 4-500 dollar tablet. Also don't go crazy with a camera, maybe a 2 megapixel front facing camera. And don't have a Bluetooth controller, build it straight into the tablet. If you really want to go above and beyond, you can have them fold or slide back into the tablet, it will add some bulk, but you can probably label it as a 'convertible gaming tablet' and sell it for about $100 more.

I doubt this would be easy, and it's far more expensive, and different from what you imagined, but I'd like the tablet I described a bit more. :)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Natethekidrs00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make it an emulating machine. I'd like a custom screen on boot uo that has all the necessary emulators (nes, snes, n64, gc, gb, gbc, gba, atari, dos, make, master system, mega drive/Genesis, saturn, dream cast?, that Sega handheld, ds, etcetera) and a boot to android button, you'd actually be in Android the whole time, but it's like a separate home screen until you boot to android. Stuff like that's already possible (for example I can switch between TouchWiz and htc sense as my homescreen with a touch of a button and my phones home key will bring me to the appropriate home screen) so you'd have to make that custom homescreen, but other than that'd stock android would be good.

For specs, you might want a 64 bit processor (2-8 cores, preferably 4+), you'll want a decent processor a 3ghz processor or higher would be best for emulation, it can also be overclocked. Ram isn't as important for emulating but is good for modern android apps, 2gb is good, 4gb would be great if you plan on pulling an Nvidia sheild. A 7inch screen is good, and don't go crazy with the gpu, it's a tablet. One that can more than easily handle a 1080p ips screen is plenty. There are of course other things involved but with thone specs, you'd probably be looking at a 4-500 dollar tablet. Also don't go crazy with a camera, maybe a 2 megapixel front facing camera. And don't have a Bluetooth controller, build it straight into the tablet. If you really want to go above and beyond, you can have them fold or slide back into the tablet, it will add some bulk, but you can probably label it as a 'convertible gaming tablet' and sell it for about $100 more.

I doubt this would be easy, and it's far more expensive, and different from what you imagined, but I'd like the tablet I described a bit more. :)

to make my first build it would cost me about 40-50 to make because im using a smartphone made by tracfone for 10$

Well here are my thoughts:
-Dual Cores are really falling out of the android market.
-With a weak cpu I'd expect to miss out on quite a few great android games.
-2MP camera is pointless, either get 8+MP or remove camera
-You really have to think is there a demand for this because everyone has a smartphone in their pocket that can play all the games this thing could.
-Aren't there other handhelds out there that can do almost everything this idea could do?

So personally I don't think anyone would buy this idea well because your not the only one who has thought of this and (I don't mean this in a mean way) I don't think of it as a good well thought of idea.
I was planing on either covering it up permanently or trying to lop it off but i don't want to damage the actual hardware

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the smartphone im using as the base os/screen/hardware is being sold for 10$ the snes bluetooth game pad is 30 plastic slap is maybe 5 tops
Wait, that's not a prototype. That's taping pre-built items together.

Also, it won't cost you $10 to build. It will cost far more. These companies buy parts in bulk and get them for cheaper, and it wouldn't make sense for the normal person, they also have machines assembling these things. For a normal person, not only would it cost a lot, but it would be larger and messier than your phone, without good equipment. They also can get you that phone for cheap, because most of the cost of the phone is payed by your cellular plan. Like, I got this note 5 for free, but my data plan pays for it.

Natethekidrs00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, that's not a prototype. That's taping pre-built items together.

Also, it won't cost you $10 to build. It will cost far more. These companies buy parts in bulk and get them for cheaper, and it wouldn't make sense for the normal person, they also have machines assembling these things. For a normal person, not only would it cost a lot, but it would be larger and messier than your phone, without good equipment. They also can get you that phone for cheap, because most of the cost of the phone is payed by your cellular plan. Like, I got this note 5 for free, but my data plan pays for it.

under stood i dont really plan on selling one if i made it it would prob be my personal little custom handheld
i wasnt looking at selling it in bulk i would maybe make like 3 to sell for fun

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
low end specs
Dual-core 1.3GHz processor with 512MB of RAM
Android 4.4 KitKat OS
With Smart launcher 2 Pre-installed
3.47" touch screen
2.0MP rear camera
4GB internal memory plus microSD slot
Those specs are a waste for a handheld like that.
They are barely enough for emulation, and they can't run Android games properly.
Also, you should program an app for mapping the controller to on-screen buttons to increase the properly-usable-games library.

Reactions: CIAwesome526

Natethekidrs00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
under stood i dont really plan on selling one if i made it it would prob be my personal little custom handheld
i wasnt looking at selling it in bulk i would maybe make like 3 to sell for fun
maybe like sell 5-8 of them on etsy

Those specs are a waste for a handheld like that.
They are barely enough for emulation, and they can't run Android games properly.
Also, you should program an app for mapping the controller to on-screen buttons to increase the properly-usable-games library.
Its supposed to be a proof of concept like i could fit a raspberry pi 3 in it with a screen and get the emu speed up to ps1 games

maybe like sell 5-8 of them on etsy

Its supposed to be a proof of concept like i could fit a raspberry pi 3 in it with a screen and get the emu speed up to ps1 games

i would prob just sell the case+controller+ rpi 2 or zero for about 50 per device

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2