WHO WANTS A GBATEMP EBOOK GAMING MAGZINE!?!

tagzard

Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
tagzard.tk
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I thought that it would be a good idea if Gbatemp has Virtual magazine! Like the way game informer is formatted. This is how I see it. A few members are elected to be the magazine editors. The edit it and stuff. Them some other members are the reviewers. They make a review of the game and rate it from a rating system (stars, numbers, ect...) They add pictures and stuff of the game. Then it is made into a ebook and published on a ebook publishing website. The reviews should somewhat look like this: [attachment=680:IMG_08831.JPG]

And there can be adds in the ebooks to. Like websites homebrew and stuff (self stuff).

IT HAS TO BE VIEWABLE ON A IPOD TOUCH/IPAD/IPHONE/PC/EREADERS/ect...

Good idea? You can post some of your idea to make it awesome.

EDIT: It will come out once a month. And it has to be free.

Want!

Just one stipulation: there has to be a Temper of the Month column.
And it has to be viewable on the DS AND PC, so maybe an eBook format and a PDF?

Hehe, lied about the 1 stipulation.

EDIT: Guild, that might be because no one knows what you're talking about, there's no attachment in any post.
gallery_252423_165_123016.jpg
gallery_252423_289_226.jpg
How the review SHOULD look

Reactions: 1 person

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An interesting idea, yeah... but given all that we have in the forum (especially now after the upgrade), between the pod casts and gbatemp mobile, having yet another mobile form is kinda redundant. Front page news adds maybe one or two things a week now, where two months ago it was a few things every single day. Half of the user submitted news is old, a repost, or not pertinent to anything. The only thing I could see it being useful for is a collaboration of new homebrew releases and updates, once a month. Those usually get posted on front page, but come to mention it, I think that would actually be a good thing to have just in the site to begin with, some part on front page that is blocked out by month, maybe in tree format (to encompass homebrew that is released and updated in the same month), and will keep track of all homebrew that is (reportedly) updated or created.

Reactions: 2 people

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, it seems like a decent idea. I certainly can't see a reason not to, if anything it'll just die after a while. :P

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well it wouldn't be something bad but its not really needed ...

if someone is really interested in doing this I would never say "don't do it" , BUT if this is started it has to be done frequently and not one in the first month than 2 month later next one than 1 week later another and such ...

Doing something like this might sound easy for some ppl "just writing some stuff about games and the scene" but its really HARD work, especially cuz you can't just write what you want.
If you write "game xy sucks bad don't buy it" its possible some companys sue you for talking down their product, in some sort of "magazine" its different than just some random forum comment, and you are not supposed to give out your own opinion which is extremely hard for most ppl (i cannot rate a game without giving my own opinion like i don't like shooter and would never really rate one as good)

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This kinda reminds me of the idea JPH tried to implement before he was banned.

Then there was Llama Riot's Weekly Wave...before he was banned.

I think there's a pattern. :unsure:

Reactions: 5 people

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i helped jph on his round-up magazine feature and it took him most of the week and all of his free time. people were always backing out at the last minute and he would end up doing most (if not all) of the work by himself.

these things are nice in theory but much harder to pull off with a volunteer staff spread out across the internet.

the easy part is collecting submissions and editing. what takes all the time is the layout. something 20 pages long could easily take a week to format correctly, unless you can spend 8hrs a day working on it.

-another world

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
tagzard - if you want this, do it yourself.

you sound like all those kids who start threads like this "NINTENDO 64 EMULATER FOR GBA!!! but I need someone to code it for me. And I also need someone for the graphics, a few beta testers... and me, well... I'll supervise the project"

Reactions: 12 people

RikuCrafter

Trophies
XP
Country
I am very willing to get involved in this project, I was even thinking of starting my own weekly mini thing. PM me if you're interested.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Magazines are dying out. Blogs feed information at a rate you can actually read it without the info in them going out of date,
All of the devices capable of reading it are capable of reading the website anyway.
Why would I bother to go download a file when I can just look at the website?
You're unlikely to re-read them, so there's no point keeping a hard copy.

Sorry, but it's a terrible idea. eBooks might be useful for static information like tutorials where someone might be away from a computer while trying to use them, but news and reviews do't fit into that category.

Reactions: 2 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then there was Llama Riot's Weekly Wave...before he was banned.

I actually liked the Weekly Wave. It wasn't a Magazine but it was a nice round up of all the news in a week. I kinda felt it was like a summary thread (see the 3DS conference summary thread for a recent example) but for all the news in a week.

D

Deleted_171835

The only problem with a weekly magazine is that most people don't have the time to create and edit an entire issue each week. A monthly one would be much more feasible. I would totally be on board for something like that.

D

Deleted_278676

I think that this is not a good idea because that, it takes more money to have something that is sent all over the world, than to make a website.

it will never work right so I think that people should stop writing on this page.

if you want a magazine pm, make it your self.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.... Well... This seems like a good idea, for anyone that wants to help make a beta magazine pm me.

why don't you use an old weekly wave as a template and write up a sample for us all to see so we know that whoever volunteers to help you will not be doing all of the work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16