Who to quickly determine if a9lh is installed? (Noob perspective)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Geuix, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Geuix
    OP

Geuix Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2016
    Question:
    If you're a noob (as in you don't know anything about cfw in general), how can you determine if a9lh is installed?

Situation:
    I'll be buying a 3ds, supposedly installed with a9lh. now, I can't check the unit itself (I'm overseas) and I'll be asking my wife (who knows nothing about 3ds,let alone cfw) to pick up the unit for me, can you help me determine if the unit that I'll be getting has a9lh already installed?

My checklist:
    *Check if hourglass is installed (press start upon booting) - not sure if you can do this with emunand
    *Check if luma if installed (press select upon booting)- again,not sure if you can do this with emunand
    *Check sd card if it has the necessary files for a9lh.

I really appreciate your help, thanks!

2. Geuix
    OP

Geuix Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2016
    Sorry, typo for thread title, can't find how to edit it. >_<

3. fodder

fodder STARMAN

Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    Just ask her to turn it completely off, and hold select upon booting. Pressing start for Hourglass9 isn't too reliable since they might not have that payload for Start, but you can also check the SD card for the correct files.

4. ThunderbInazuma

ThunderbInazuma Pocket Rotom

Aug 31, 2015
    Portugal
    But the the 3ds could be with SaltFW ( I think its called SaltFW) and it doesn't have the select option, basically, if it cames with Salt, I think that the only option is to check de sd card files.

5. Geuix
    OP

Geuix Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2016
    So I'm on the right path. Basically, you can't use hourglass if the unit isn't a9lh? I will ask her to check the content of the sd card thru FBI, thou which file specifically?

I intentionally ask the seller to install Luma on the system, if my specifications isn't met, I can freely turn down the deal.

Last edited by Geuix, Nov 24, 2016
    fodder likes this.
  6. fodder

fodder STARMAN

Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    Oh no, it's not that you can use it if the unit isn't A9LH, it's just that he might make the Hourglass payload a different button, you can register them to whatever button on the system you please, might not be start.

And look specifically for a /luma/payloads folder and the arm9loaderhax.bin on the SD root

7. Geuix
    OP

Geuix Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2016
    Got it, I appreciate the help! Thanks!

8. Davidson23

Davidson23 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2015
    Mexico
    I'd check if the 3ds boots without SD
    Though it could use that one miniCFW that allows A9LH to boot without one, i guess.

fodder likes this.
  9. fodder

fodder STARMAN

Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    You can also make Luma boot without SD

10. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Remove the sd card, try booting it up, if it flashes blue light and goes off, A9LH should be installed

fodder likes this.
  11. fodder

fodder STARMAN

Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    *assuming they didn't install the latest A9LH and didn't put the luma arm9loaderhax.bin in the root of NAND

Last edited by fodder, Nov 24, 2016
  12. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    The guide has been updated for sdless boot for a while now you know

fodder likes this.
  13. Boured

Boured The most perverted furry

GBAtemp Patron
    Boured is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 25, 2015
    United States
    Wherever I log in at ^w^
    Right now I don't recommend you buy a system with a9lh preinstalled. The reason I say this is because due to the Sun and Moon bans people are selling thier banned 3DS's. They will say it has a9lh, but it will also be banned which they will not tell you.

CeeDee likes this.
  14. Geuix
    OP

Geuix Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2016
    It's actually a brand new unit that comes with ver. 11 out of the box and the seller is a local retailer that also offers softmod downgrade so that won't be an issue.

Thanks to everyone who answers my question, I've updated my checklist with your insights.