Hacking Who thinks this card will open up this scene?

Extreme Coder

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
So I've read the review about the DS-Xtreme and I have to say I was amazed, and I am myself thinking of buying one (when some $$$ flows in, of course...)
Before SLOT-1 no-patching solution were announced, not everyone could easily buy a flashcard, as he had to know some info (PassMe1,2,save data,FlashME,NoPass,etc...) in order to run games on slot-2 solutions. Now that the DS-Xtreme is released, I think that it will attract and bring a lot of people who were turned down because of the complexity of the slot-2 solutions...And who knows what can happen next.
Since anybody now can play DS roms by:
1)Buy DS-Xtreme
2)Put rom on DS-Xtreme
3)Put DS-Xtreme in DS and enjoy...
This might make Nintendo raise and eyebrow to the scene and do something against us..

Who else thinks about these type of cards this way?
And to DS-X team, I am not saying anything bad about you or your card...You have done a great job on your card... and there's always the AceKard,M3 Slot-1,etc...

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1)Buy DS-Xtreme
2)Put rom on DS-Xtreme
1)Buy
2)Put rom on
3)Put in GBA and enjoy...

The GBA never had any goofy solutions like the slot-2 cards; it was just straight plug it in and play. Nintendo never did anything about that, what makes this any different?

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
ExtremeCoder makes a good point:
If it's easier to use, it will appeal to a wider audience. If it's truly drag n drop, then even us dumbass Mac people can use it. I think though, that just like with the GBA, the pirates are still a very small percentage of total DS users.

& fischju: you can still trim roms with other programs I think. Agreed though on the development point.

..oh, and the Misfits F*cking rule.

sixb0nes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
You can trim roms with an external utility or even just a plain hex editor. And besides, you usually save what, 1-4MB by trimming, big deal. Trimming is only good for the bigger roms (128MB)

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it'll only get easier and easier. Take the main competitor for example, psp. Before you really needed to be familiar with the way iso loaders work and use multiple loaders to load different isos. After full packages of devhook spread around, everyone and their grandmas are all of a sudden runnin isos....gonna change soon though with the new isos coming out requiriing 2.81 (just emerging) until an update on devhook occurs. But my 2 cents, pirating isn't getting worse with the release of this product....because in my opinion if people are put off by the minimal work required to fully hack a ds and prep it to run roms with the current devices, having a ds-x makes little difference because they're too ignorant/lazy to do research in the first place.

deathspawn999

Trophies
XP
Country
i just think that there are a great deal of users who have no idea that this is even possible. i also believe that the game companies would like to keep it that way
wink.gif

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not to mention there are a great deal of users who do know its possible but prefer to just buy what they play (gives them a reason to visit the local "trade N play" more often too).

Extreme Coder

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
There wasn't a whole lot that Nintendo could do to 'fight' us on the GBA scene, but in the NDS scene, its a bit different, who knows, maybe they'll next be banning us from Wi-Fi, adding protections nobody can crack to the roms, Brick your DS in case you find out you're using a flashcard(yes its posssible without SL1 shorting), etc...(Just stating the possibilities, doesn't mean that will definitely happen) Of course, only very few of these, if any, could happen.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Not to mention there are a great deal of users who do know its possible but prefer to just buy what they play (gives them a reason to visit the local "trade N play" more often too).

And a good reason to go shopping alone without the wife, have plenty of time to watch all stuff without the wife telling you to hurry cause she also needs to check out some shops for new clothes etc... (we all know we don't like waiting and telling how nice the new dress or sweater looks on her for HOURS!, we can tell that at home to when she tells she bought something new).

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
There wasn't a whole lot that Nintendo could do to 'fight' us on the GBA scene, but in the NDS scene, its a bit different, who knows, maybe they'll next be banning us from Wi-Fi, adding protections nobody can crack to the roms, Brick your DS in case you find out you're using a flashcard(yes its posssible without SL1 shorting), etc...(Just stating the possibilities, doesn't mean that will definitely happen) Of course, only very few of these, if any, could happen.

Who do you think they are, Sony?
rofl2.gif

webez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's curious to see how ds-x seems to have invented the wheel when other flashes like ninjaDS doesn't need to patch also and was released more than a month ago. And it uses SD so size or trim is not a problem.

I am not saying ds-x is not a great (but limited) cart because it is. But i don't understand this "after ds-x nothing is gonna be the same" comments. Poeple should ask themselfs why ds-x uses internal memory and why they didn't go for microsd (it's funny how they ban any comment about roms and they "sell" it as THE homebrew solution and you can't even carry music and videos comfortably with that size)

Nojoy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's curious to see how ds-x seems to have invented the wheel when other flashes like ninjaDS doesn't need to patch also and was released more than a month ago. And it uses SD so size or trim is not a problem.

I am not saying ds-x is not a great (but limited) cart because it is. But i don't understand this "after ds-x nothing is gonna be the same" comments. Poeple should ask themselfs why ds-x uses internal memory and why they didn't go for microsd (it's funny how they ban any comment about roms and they "sell" it as THE homebrew solution and you can't even carry music and videos comfortably with that size)

it's funny you should say that Webez, afterall you are a developer for NinjaDS...

Regardless of bias, these are still valid points... I personally would prefer a SD solution for any homebrew I use exactly for these reasons. Moonshell alone almost neccessitates the use of larger space.

As for the OP's original statement. I doubt that NDS flashcards are or will be anymore rampant than the GBA flashcards were... It just may seem to be that way from the boards that you frequent (I know GameFAQs is stupidly smothered sometimes by people discussing ROM and Flashcard questions or comments).

If you really think back, one of the things that really drove the GBA rom epidemic was the emulators more so than the hardware. It seemed, at least to me, that everyone was using Visualboy Advance all of the time to play everything that was released. Without a solid, dependable NDS emulator I don't believe that it will be quite so rampant.

On the other hand though, I have to admit that a lack of a working emulator may in fact ~increase~ the likelyhood of someone getting into the hardware solution...

Anyhow, these are all my opinons so your milage may vary... whatever.

deathspawn999

Trophies
XP
Country
the ds-x is great because it is

first slot1 to fit flush in the slot1
no patching necessary
usb plug and play (hello macs and linux users
smile.gif
)
complete ease of use
once you put it in your ds, you never have to take it out thanks to the cable and position of the usb interface on the card

the good/bad is the flash memory. you odnt have to worry about losing the memory, but you cant upgrade it either.

SectionX

Trophies
XP
Country
So I've read the review about the DS-Xtreme and I have to say I was amazed, and I am myself thinking of buying one (when some $$$ flows in, of course...)
Before SLOT-1 no-patching solution were announced, not everyone could easily buy a flashcard, as he had to know some info (PassMe1,2,save data,FlashME,NoPass,etc...) in order to run games on slot-2 solutions. Now that the DS-Xtreme is released, I think that it will attract and bring a lot of people who were turned down because of the complexity of the slot-2 solutions...And who knows what can happen next.
Since anybody now can play DS roms by:
1)Buy DS-Xtreme
2)Put rom on DS-Xtreme
This might make Nintendo raise and eyebrow to the scene and do something against us..

Who else thinks about these type of cards this way?
And to DS-X team, I am not saying anything bad about you or your card...You have done a great job on your card... and there's always the AceKard,M3 Slot-1,etc...

the GBA flashcarts were the same way. Nintendo didn't do anything about it. Well maybe they even sold more units cuz of it.

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
plus you don't have to worry about memory slow downs or which memory is compatabile however what the guy from NinjaDS basically did is hijack the fucking thread into the pros and cons id the DSX when in reality the topic is whill the card open the scene. Like others have said....Gba was a walk in the park for ease of use however there is one HUGE and I MEAN HUGE difference and that is PRICE. Kits for the GBA would cost as much as $299...OMG...I spent I belive $189 on my 1G EZ-Flash 2 a few months before the DS was released and and probally $149 for my 256Mb EZFA 2 years prior so yea...now your getting much more space at MUCH MUCH Cheaper prices so of course I think when competition comes to the DSX and we see kits in the 80 dollar range a lot more people will be buying these kits....I know when I am at my local game store the cost of piracy is the concern when the kids are like WOW OMG free games? Greedy bastards like to stay around the 80 mark give or take 20 dollars.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s