Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Me.

It's still the best way to play Gamecube games for cheap. You get 2 full libraries of games to play natively on the system, and countless emulators to play everything else down the line that came before it. The Wii is literally one of the best consoles ever made in my opinion, and I'm shocked they're still so cheap everywhere.

DudderButter

Cheesehead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my Wiis in storage, but I primarily use my Wii U for the extended library.

But as mentioned, they are hands down, one of the best consoles ever. They're the first thing I can think of to bring to a hangout or gathering to play with friends and family. I know most don't participate in a co-op or local multiplayer as much as before, but I enjoyed every moment of chilling out and swinging some Wiimotes around when I was younger. Most of the Wii/GameCube games have aged quite considerably, but they are still strong installments you should consider either replaying or getting (with the bonus of Homebrew perks, of course).

End_eR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've pretty much fully switched over to a Wii U at this point. I can play Wii U, Wii, and GC games all from the same place, all digitally, which is a big plus for me. Funnily enough, my Gamecube still gets used to play Gameboy games on the big screen, which kind of leaves the Wii as the odd one out.

Reactions: DudderButter

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Wii (BC GCN), connected with a genuine component cable, loaded with GCN games, and a DualShock 3-type wireless controller yet despite all that I'm just not interested playing.

I also have a CFW'd PS3 and it just sits there. My 3DS hasn't been booted up for months, same goes for my Vita (my DS Lite must have been used like 2 years ago).

So, while I have plenty of games to choose from, I just don't play them.
Post automatically merged:

I've pretty much fully switched over to a Wii U at this point. I can play Wii U, Wii, and GC games all from the same place, all digitally, which is a big plus for me. Funnily enough, my Gamecube still gets used to play Gameboy games on the big screen, which kind of leaves the Wii as the odd one out.
I thought about buying a Wii U to hack and play its games, but most have been ported over to other consoles and I already played the Wii U games I wanted so it'd end up like my other consoles... Gathering dust.

ragnarok_approaches123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
But as mentioned, they are hands down, one of the best consoles ever. They're the first thing I can think of to bring to a hangout or gathering to play with friends and family. I know most don't participate in a co-op or local multiplayer as much as before, but I enjoyed every moment of chilling out and swinging some Wiimotes around when I was younger. Most of the Wii/GameCube games have aged quite considerably, but they are still strong installments you should consider either replaying or getting (with the bonus of Homebrew perks, of course).
I'd say that back in the day the Wii was great for the reasons you mentioned but in 2023 an SD console with analogue output just isn't worth using when you can emulate it at higher resolutions. The software has aged well, the hardware not so.

Reactions: DudderButter

DudderButter

Cheesehead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The software has aged well, the hardware not so.
You could say that with almost every Nintendo console. My point was that some games on the Wii (and GameCube) are solid entries worth checking out, whether or not you have a real Wii, vWii, or Dolphin.

[...] in 2023 an SD console with analogue output just isn't worth using when you can emulate it at higher resolutions.
Not everyone and their grandma has a high-end computer to run the emulator or a Wii U sitting around, which makes the former a great purchase for casual gamers on a budget.

Reactions: Tarmfot

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
I do. The Wii is special to me because it's one of the first consoles I was able to run homebrew on. My original Wii even has a drivechip installed... although I'm not sure which.

I tried using the Wii U but I wasn't happy with it. I could run Dolphin, but eh.

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
https://github.com/SuperrSonic/WiiMC-SSLC

People using WiiMC-SSLC to watch video on a CRT TV screen with composite / component inputs.

It's one of the few devices left with composite output where there's an up-to-date video player app able to output up to 576p. That said, for most video files people actually have, they'll need to use a tool like Handbrake to downscale video to 576p or 480p.

Reactions: Tarmfot and newo

SteVoUniT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still have my Wii. It's perfect for all the different mods of Super Smash Bros. Melee on Nintendon't. And I get the added benefit of being able to play the Wii games I never got to during the console's life span. One thing I find interesting, is that emulation is pretty good on the Wii, and it's fun to revisit SNES, GBA, and Genesis games.

Reactions: newo

AsierMR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
an SD console with analogue output just isn't worth using when you can emulate it at higher resolutions.
I don't care about resolution, I care about controls, level design, music, story in the games it belongs... Also, one of the games I play the most is Beat the Beat Rhythm Paradise (Rhythm Heaven Fever in America), which just isn't the same with a bit (still noticeable though) of lag, and can play it on my TV which is virtually lag free.
The software has aged well, the hardware not so.
You could say that with literally any console. What now? Is playing NES and SNES games on OG hardware (which is arguably better, as it is the intended way to play) worse just because it's old tech?

Plus, I don't use a laptop so couch multiplayer is basicly imposible on Dolphin.

I mostly use emulation to test mods or to play local multiplayer games online, or if I want to stream what I'm playing to a friend using Discord or something.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I have the Wii hooked up in my living room. The one that plays it the most, is my son. He is 13 and he just loves the Wii. I have my Switch and so does he, but every now and then he plays the Wii very happily. Also, the Wii U is there as well! So many, many great games that don't deserve to die in the forgotten land. As a matter of fact, yesterday a friend came to the house and asked me for some games on his USB, for his hacked Wii. So many great titles. And as the other user said, I also play gamecube every once in a while. Last game played was Day of Reckoning 2.

Reactions: AsierMR

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Me too. Playing on original hardware is something else that i can't describe. Emulators are nice, but it is just not the same like the original hardware. Sounds dumb, but that's my opinion. I always prefer original hardware. Doesn't matter which console generation.

thenextgui

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, both the Wii and Wii U are capable of emulating the Gameboy line.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...