Who knows how to use text to speech on Android Nougat?

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I want to do is have my phone read my notes aloud. I have everything installed I think but I don't know how to use the feature.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
All I want to do is have my phone read my notes aloud. I have everything installed I think but I don't know how to use the feature.
What you need to install "for TTS" is a voice provider, which you most likely already have - AOSP includes Pico TTS and even the smallest Gapps include Google TTS since marshmallow...

...but then you need a software that actually knows how to pass text to the TTS, for example most maps apps can do it, but for general purpose copy-paste-and-listen you'll want something like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyperionics.avar&hl=en (first one I've found, no personal experience) or alternatively using a screen reader like Talkback (and learning the annoying controls they use - did I mention poorly designed apps don't work with them anyway?)

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you need to install "for TTS" is a voice provider, which you most likely already have - AOSP includes Pico TTS and even the smallest Gapps include Google TTS since marshmallow...

...but then you need a software that actually knows how to pass text to the TTS, for example most maps apps can do it, but for general purpose copy-paste-and-listen you'll want something like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyperionics.avar&hl=en (first one I've found, no personal experience) or alternatively using a screen reader like Talkback (and learning the annoying controls they use - did I mention poorly designed apps don't work with them anyway?)
Thank you. The app you linked worked well enough to solve my problem.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1