Who knows how to use text to speech on Android Nougat?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Nerdtendo, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Nerdtendo
    OP

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    All I want to do is have my phone read my notes aloud. I have everything installed I think but I don't know how to use the feature.

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    What you need to install "for TTS" is a voice provider, which you most likely already have - AOSP includes Pico TTS and even the smallest Gapps include Google TTS since marshmallow...

...but then you need a software that actually knows how to pass text to the TTS, for example most maps apps can do it, but for general purpose copy-paste-and-listen you'll want something like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyperionics.avar&hl=en (first one I've found, no personal experience) or alternatively using a screen reader like Talkback (and learning the annoying controls they use - did I mention poorly designed apps don't work with them anyway?)

3. Nerdtendo
    OP

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Thank you. The app you linked worked well enough to solve my problem.

Ryccardo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice