Gaming Who is tired of the current 3D Mario?

Would you like a more open world with stages of the next mario game?

• Total voters

laudern

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Before you all start hating just hear me out first.

I loved both the galaxies, as well as the current wii u mario game. I've played them all to death and they were great games and extremely good at what they set out to do. All the current mario games have a brilliant camera and usually have great looking graphics with fun gameplay......

But, is it just me or do other people want more exploration and challenge in completing the game... I'm not talking about difficulty in terms of enemies or time limit (the wii u mario game is extremely hard in that regard). What I'm talking about is more like what mario 64 offered. A 3D world where there was no clear "end" point. Where you could be looking to achieve one star when suddenly you have unlocked a completely unknown star by mistake.

Even since the galaxies there has been a start point and an end point. The stages are mostly linear in design, none of this is bad as what they set out to achieve was great. I'm now just looking for something different. I felt that I was doing the exact same thing in the wii u game as I was in the previous 2 wii games, just in a different setting.

I'm not asking for super mario 128 or whatever you want to call it. But I would like like a mario game where it was not so linear in its approach and encouraged thinking with exploring, to achieve a certain goal.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not sure that I understand your criticism. With the exception of the newest 3D Marios for the Wii U and 3DS, they have typically been non-linear. Of course, they have a start point and and end point and some levels are more open while others are more closed, just like 64.

Maybe you are just not feeling like you did with Mario 64 because you had never experienced anything like that and that feeling will never come again.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i HATE all these linear games , if i never see another 2.5 d game again it will be too soon

edit:ok not hate them per se ,but hate that this all that they seem to ever put out now i am so fuckign sick to death of this crap, ,and i would welcome a "mario 128" style game

i wasnt that crazy about the galaxies , i would have rather had an open world game where the landscapes are not so small and broken up like that,

they should remake the old 2d side scrollers in 3d ,i mean use the same art style from the games , box and manuel art ,and same enemies/characters and make them 3d open world expanded versions

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
With galaxy and 3D series, it seems Nintendo abandoned the sandbox 3D Marios.
My favorite game of all time is Super Mario 64, so I definetly know what you feel,
although these previous Marios weren't short games, they definetly do not feel the same,
SM64 made me feel like there was a huge and amazing world to explore,
you were never limited to a specific star, which makes getting stars a very unique experience in most of times,
even when you repeat a lot of the level over and over again.

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
im actually playing more 3D World almost as much as i played 64 back in the day and i gotta say i actually like more 3D World than i did 64 i don't know i never really liked how you could find like all the stars at the same time and just pick one and get booted out of the level it feels lame to me and i feel future mario games were better than 64 even sunshine i feel is way better almost every mission on sunshine was different from each other but still on the same area, 64 though it was the exact same area with the exact same layout just with stars just scared all aroun the map so yeah i would rather have a convination of either 3D World and sunshine for the next game than a 64 successor. I don't know i think a mission based game like sunshine with optional collectibles like 3d world and the platforming skills from both games would make a pretty awesome than the pseudo 3D sandbox levels from 64

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Its funny how everyone is saying 64 felt like this huge open world to explore when it wasnt at all. Only the level select castle grounds had any true exploration element to it. The worlds themselfes were pretty small in size usually

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Its funny how everyone is saying 64 felt like this huge open world to explore when it wasnt at all. Only the level select castle grounds had any true exploration element to it. The worlds themselfes were pretty small in size usually
That and for many stars you had to do large parts of the level multiple times which is pretty much a no. Unfortunately this is a thing that comes with this type of level design and that may be why they're starting to get more linear. Galaxy still had a secret path to be found in several levels though.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
laudern: no offense, but your thread name should have been worded completely different. I came into this thread ready to spew out a "damn right! Mario is getting milked to death with all the different entries"-style comment.

What you're actually asking is a more open world approach. In which you could - to a degree - choose in which order you complete the levels. Sort of like (ironically) Rayman Legends does it.

Though truth be told...I don't get it. I haven't played Mario64 long enough to truly explore all the ins and outs, but it seemed to me like Clydefrosch is just right in his observation. The only difference between the Mario64 castle and the space ship hub in the galaxy series seems to me that you can see all the levels right from the start in 64 rather than be gradually revealed over time. The levels themselves...I don't see much difference in the style or approach.

As I hear, the 3D land games (both on 3DS and wiiu) kind of push you more in a general direction - as did a few levels of SMG2...not surprisingly the 2.5D levels. But I don't bother about it. It's not that it's not fun but Mario games were never about exploration. There are other franchises that do it better, even within Ninty's game lineup.

So...I voted 'no'. Wanting more exploration in a 3D Mario game is like wanting more metroidvania-approach in a NSMB game...I can live without it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am up for a return to the Sunshine way of thinking.

Granted to say that properly I probably should have played a non NSMB game post Sunshine.

Reactions: gamefan5

DonnyKD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
64 was not that big and not that vast. The worlds were obviously and literally floating on nothing.

Sunshine is a much better example, and while I really don't like that game, I'll admit that it was nice how they made it feel like one big world, boring as the actual theme may be.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have no problem with linear Mario games, as long as Nintendo balance it out with some open-world games.

But there hasn't been an open-world game since 2002. 8 Instalments in a row have all used the A-to-B, "follow the path because that's all you can do" style.

Clearly Nintendo are thinking quantity over quality with Mario these days.

Is it really that hard to make just one open-world Mario?

Reactions: weatMod

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

If you are going to limit yourself to only a handful of mario titles a generation, the last open world one was apparently not highly regarded, open world games are seen as a money pit in the modern world (and this is very provable) and your devs um and ah when you quiz them (I am unable to back it right now but various interviews with those that can make it happen seemed to have indicated that) then yeah it might actually be that hard..

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no problem with linear Mario games, as long as Nintendo balance it out with some open-world games.

But there hasn't been an open-world game since 2002. 8 Instalments in a row have all used the A-to-B, "follow the path because that's all you can do" style.

Clearly Nintendo are thinking quantity over quality with Mario these days.

I wouldn't say open world is Mario's style, and there's nothing wrong with a linear game. Maybe if Nintendo had more variety and was able to do some new and exciting things it would be better. Mario has also had some small but open worlds like most good 3D platformers.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
That and for many stars you had to do large parts of the level multiple times which is pretty much a no. Unfortunately this is a thing that comes with this type of level design and that may be why they're starting to get more linear. Galaxy still had a secret path to be found in several levels though.

They could do it like Luigis Mansion 2 does it by placing multiple starting points to worlds (mansions) and then making many differend routes from that point. That meant you can explore and should explore but if you just want to breeze trough you can.

Even Sunshine HD (if it ain't bloody 60€!) port would be nice with better controls as damn I remember falling off platforms so much with that title. 3D world seems to get around that with 8-directional controls even with stick and fixed camera where Sunshine you have full 3D control both character and camera.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol