Who here uses an operating system that is NOT M$?

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Main machine at home (gaming and everything) - XP, Vista won't ever be here.
Home server (Scanner and Printer sharing) - Debian
Hosted internet server (http/teamspeak) - Debian

I'd say ubuntu is good for any beginners, it's debian after all
cool.gif

I currently see no reason except gaming to stick to windows.

Almost forgot - NDSL - DSLinux
wub.gif

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gentoo and freebsd here till my hard drive got f*cked, I bought a new one and I am using ubuntu till I end my exams and I got the time to restore everything as i had before(this time I'll backup all my data
cool.gif
)

Wine does the trick for supercard soft, the only game I use in my destop is ogame, so gentoo works OK, anyway you can use cedega for gaming

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
just in the past month i have been trying ubuntu on a 5 year old PC, and yes i am a linux noober
i was told ubuntu was the best to learn with, and i really like it.

deadcell which linux would you suggest for someone who has no experience?

Ubuntu, perfect hardware support, but a little heavy on the ram

if anyone has the experience try out arch its my fav, faster than gentoo easier to install and a better package system

tshu

On epic journey, brb.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't understand Linux. Do programs like Adobe Photoshop and other things actually run on it? I use Windows XP and have no issues, and also use Mac OS X regularly which is also great.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't understand Linux. Do programs like Adobe Photoshop and other things actually run on it? I use Windows XP and have no issues, and also use Mac OS X regularly which is also great.

unless they have been ported over or built for linux then no, Gimp is a replacement for photoshop as are other free applications.
Everyone should give linux a try what do you have to lose
MacOSX is based on FreeBSD which is based on Unix which is what Linux is based on. A short history lesson
smile.gif

zennoux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried running Ubuntu for a week but after it crashed 10 times in an hour I deleted it. It crashed scrolling through screensavers (multiple times) and it also crashed when I went to switch user and log back in.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I tried running Ubuntu for a week but after it crashed 10 times in an hour I deleted it. It crashed scrolling through screensavers (multiple times) and it also crashed when I went to switch user and log back in.

hmm interesting, never crashed for me, even running 3d acceleration. You sure you didnt break something

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While right now I'm just running Vista (hey, college provided it, why not?), I will eventually put Ubuntu back on. Yes, I'm fairly new to linux as well but I've been working on that. Also have ran Fedora Core 6 for a bit. Unfortunately, I cannot get the wireless going in Lniux. Have had several people look at it and while ndiswrapper can install the driver and find my hardware, that's pretty much it. I made the mistake of getting an N card for this lappy. :x

P.S. Enemy Territory is another good Linux game (for Windows too of course).

zennoux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried running Ubuntu for a week but after it crashed 10 times in an hour I deleted it. It crashed scrolling through screensavers (multiple times) and it also crashed when I went to switch user and log back in.

hmm interesting, never crashed for me, even running 3d acceleration. You sure you didnt break something
No, it was right after a fresh installation. I always use the switch user function to lock my computer, and when I came back I logged in and it crashed. Tried multiple times and it kept crashing.

D

Dis

No windows No Games...
Want to play "Games for Windows"...
You gotta use Windows...

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

No, it was right after a fresh installation. I always use the switch user function to lock my computer, and when I came back I logged in and it crashed. Tried multiple times and it kept crashing.

really cant identify whats wrong with the system could you describe it to me in more detail, pm me so we dont waste anymore precious forum space

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
IM considering installing linux. any suggestions?

For anyone used to Mac OSX get DreamLinux, its wireless support is terrible though so your gonna have to compile the driver yourself.

Want to be non-conformist, check out Elive.

Obviously the best linux distro for beginner to intermediate users is ubuntu, it has perfect hardware support, nice packaging system and the use of gnome is good for beginners since it resembles windows.

All these are debian based

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse