Homebrew who here has updated from TWLoader to DSImenu++

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another issue with Flash cards is that they degrade over time, and at that point end up not booting consistently, often needing to eject it several times before it works, then randomly crashes in game/home-brew!
In my case, it was because of the dirty connectors.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried out DSiMenu++ briefly last week after I learned about TWLoader being discontinued. I have to admit, I was pretty confused by the whole affair. I'll be sticking to my AK2i for a while longer, but from what I remember:
  • There didn't seem to be a way to make the ROM selection menu work just like a simple list, as it is on my AK2i. The Icon-based menu (mimicking the 3DS or DSi) seemed pretty unwieldy. This also applies to TWLoader, but DSiMenu++'s lower resolution exacerbated the issue for me.
  • The release .zip (or was it .7z?) seemed to contain everything needed for all use-cases, but there didn't seem to be a clear, unambiguous, up-to-date ReadMe supplied within, dictating which sub-folders were needed in which cases. I struggled for a while on this - neither the OP for the DSiMenu++ thread nor the GitHub release page for the download I used seemed to lay this all out clearly. I wasn't comfortable reporting a documentation issue however, without being fully confident in what I thought should instead be said therein, i.e.without fully understanding it myself first.
  • The documentation seemed to imply that it would be possible, when run "from" my 3DS, to run ROMs from my AK2i's SD card. However, when I tried copying the AK2i-related cards to my AK2i's SD card (replacing akmenu4.nds, I think was the filename), the AK2i became un-bootable (until I restored the original akmenu4.nds), and I seemed to get no additional options in DSiMenu++.
  • It wasn't clear to me whether the project could, now or in the future, run DSi-Enhanced NDS titles in DSi-"mode" on the 3DS.
In all cases, perhaps there were options I'd missed, or they were "known" issues either with solutions in the works, or known workarounds had I researched further. Regardless, I'm thoroughly impressed with the development of nds-bootstrap, but I think I'll wait another couple of months before I try again with the front-ends.

Yes, it will eventually run DSi-Enhanced titles in DSi mode and on the discord channel it was shown running one such game in DSi mode though none of the DSi features like WPA or the camera work yet.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there plans to add an "update bootstrap/nightly bootstrap" feature to DSIMenu++? That was a really nice feature in TWLoader.
Also I have to say I miss the 3D features that TWLoader had.
Yes, it has been the most asked question, recently.
It will be in the DSiMenu++ Launcher, soon.

able

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok i dont mean to offend the dev team of these projects, but i cant stand dsi++. twl was incredible. plus, i have a patched newer super mario bros game that wont run on dsi++. twl looks better and runs better on my o2ds. sorry dudes. thats just me.

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok i dont mean to offend the dev team of these projects, but i cant stand dsi++. twl was incredible. plus, i have a patched newer super mario bros game that wont run on dsi++. twl looks better and runs better on my o2ds. sorry dudes. thats just me.
I believe DsiMenu runs in DSI mode not in 3DS mode like TWLoader. I'll gladly sacrifice how a menu looks to drastically improve compatibility. That's just basic function over form.

Reactions: Hopalongtom

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Idk if those nds-bootstrap haters didn't test nds-bootstrap since a year and half, but to me lastest build is like 95% compatibility and cart-speeds for every game. Ofc I have AP patched roms when needed.

Reactions: lordkaos

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe DsiMenu runs in DSI mode not in 3DS mode like TWLoader. I'll gladly sacrifice how a menu looks to drastically improve compatibility. That's just basic function over form.

Its not clear how much NDS compatibility improved since you can use the latest bootstrap with TWLoader still?

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just update to the latest bootstrap, newer super mario bros. works perfectly.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I just assumed it had some affect on compatibility. I’m sure there’s a good reason for the change either way

Custom firmware is now easily installable on all DSis, so he'd rather focus efforts on one program that works on both platforms.

aarstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone explain exactly how to install this on my 3DS? It seems that I install the 3 included cia files and the launcher cia file, copy over BOOT.NDS and the _nds and rom folders. Do I also need to copy the title folder from CFW - SDNAND root folder to my SD card root? Thanks.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone explain exactly how to install this on my 3DS? It seems that I install the 3 included cia files and the launcher cia file, copy over BOOT.NDS and the _nds and rom folders. Do I also need to copy the title folder from CFW - SDNAND root folder to my SD card root? Thanks.
No that's for dsi. You only need _nds, the launcher, and the cias.

Last edited by Pickle_Rick,

Pakhitew-Island

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
I'm using it and I like it, only thing is I'm unsure if the new slowdown with Mario Kart DS and HGSS no longer working is a DSIMenu issue or just the new nds-bootstrap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The ST version honestly looks like they at least tried lol