Hardware Who has bought an Aluminum Protective Case from Deal Extreme?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Here are a bunch --> http://s.dealextreme.com/search/3ds+protec...ml?category=699

The ones without a hinge have a flannel interior. The ones with a hinge have a plastic interior. I'd love to hear what people have to say about both types is any of you have bought them yet.

I'd would prefer to get one with a flannel interior, but I doubt that the shells would stay on the 3DS well. But thats why I want to hear from those who have bought one.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I got the icon aluminum case and I think it looks great and works really well since i smashed the 3ds against the bathroom wall when i slipped on some water and only the case has a dent, the 3ds itself is fine with no scratches. The only downside is that the glue holding the soft velvety interior of the case is pretty crappy stuff and Ive noticed that i can pull it out without much effort since its sliding off the 3ds.

Dylan

100 MILES AND RUNNIN'
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
I've got the black one you linked. It fits and looks great. Only negative I have to say about it is that it makes it quite difficult to access the stylus in its holder. Same could be said about the volume slider too.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought the aluminum case with the soft rubber flap that covers the hinge, and it's just not for me. It's a pain to get on the system, but easy to take off. The extra hinge supports snap together on the sides, and cure the "Wobble" problem entirely, making the 3DS hinge feel more solid. It looks nice, and protects well, but there are too many issues:

1. I rest my fingers across the top of the system while I play, and the funky rubber flap gets in the way. It's very annoying, and makes me want to cut it off.

2. I bought three different case/pouches, and this aluminum case makes the 3DS just bulky enough that it won't fit in any of them. There are parts of the 3DS still exposed, and I'd like to use this in conjunction with other carrying pouches.

3. SD card and stylus ports are a pain to access with this on.

4. The charging cradle is now useless, and I prefer it over using the direct adapter to charge.

Overall this case is good, as long as you know what your preferences are. If you don't use pouches or the charge cradle, and just want stylish protection and sturdy hinges, I say go for it. Otherwise you'll put it on your 3DS, take it off, and never use it again (like I did).

Toader

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought this one Blue and I didn't like it much. It makes your 3DS pretty heavy. This case pretty much limits all access to ports. In order to get the stylus or switch game, you have to pretty much close your system. The volume and wireless switch are hard to reach because of the case's thickness.Its an okay case but I prefer a different one.

menist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought the Aluminum Grey
yaynds.gif
. Quality is solid, only problem is the 3ds have to be close to take out or insert game/stylus.

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Thank you all so very much for your responses.

Does anyone have the shell that does not have the hinge and has the flannel interior instead of plastic? How well does the shell hold onto the 3DS? I fear that they will just fall off.

Dylan

100 MILES AND RUNNIN'
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
DeadlyFoez said:

Does anyone have the shell that does not have the hinge and has the flannel interior instead of plastic? How well does the shell hold onto the 3DS? I fear that they will just fall off.

Yes, I said I have the one you linked. Mine hugs it very tight. I have no fear of it falling off at all.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I have the hori clear plastic one, I little more costly than those ones, but that's no real issue...

3dscase.jpg.tn.jpg
Large image behind spoiler
3dscase.jpg

As you can see, the two sides of the case are completely separate, nothing joining them at all. They hold themselves on quite tightly, you can't knock them off by accident, you have to actually try to take them off, even then, they're on good and tight. As you can see, its rather trivial to slide some sort of picture behind the plastic if you want a change of look and there are no obstructions at all to either the Cart slot, SD slot, volume control, 3D control or stylus. There are even gaps in the correct places for connecting carrying straps to the 3DS.

The only down side though, is that (and I assume it's true with all other cases) it no longer fits in the charging dock. No worries though, at least this way you can play while leaving it plugged in
smile.gif

[edit] -- forgot to mention volume/3d sliders.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Dylan said:
DeadlyFoez said:

Yes, I said I have the one you linked. Mine hugs it very tight. I have no fear of it falling off at all.
Sorry. I didn't understand what you meant bc I linked to a full search list and not just one so I was unsure which type of case you meant.

Of course I don't expect anyone to try this, but I would like to know if it still stays on after falling from like a 4 foot drop. If it can then it's good enough for me. I'd rather soft flannel than a plastic that could potentially scratch the case of time.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Oooohh...Deep Red and Deep Blue are smexy!I might consider getting these, but I won't be able to use the charging cradle. Also, are the sides that hold the case together sturdy and durable? I've had a similar type of case that I bought for my DSi but the sides fell apart for some reason. Waste of £5 for me (bought it at GAME)
frown.gif

I'm also considering getting some skins from Decalgirl.

KungChicken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you DeadlyFoez for pointing these out and everyone else for their input. I bought one of the ones with the plastic inside and hinge covers. I LOVE the deep red color, it is so bold.

EphenSteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
If you bought the nyko power pak+, it makes this bottom part of the shell useless. The shell also makes the base station unusable.
i had a feeling it would make the bottom useless. BUT if you had a metal cutter and cut out the bottom but not enough to let the ds fall through do you think it would fit?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it