Who else is getting black screens in SaveMii Mod?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by Ailuros27, Sep 16, 2017.

?
  1. No

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yes, it black screens when an external drive is connected.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Yes, it black screens every time I try to run it

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. Yes, I can't run it, but due to something other than giving a black screen.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ailuros27
    OP

Ailuros27 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    Simply put, I'm trying to ascertain how widespread this issue is. I've only seen a few people with it, and I've spent my free time the last several days troubleshooting the issue via Discord server with someone who Isn't having a problem, and I'm pretty much out of ideas.

When I run SaveMii Mod via regular haxchi (not cbhc) without an HDD connected it runs fine. But when I run it via regular haxchi with an HDD connected I get a black screen after the initial splash screen that has the credits/brick warning. The Gamepad responds (at least the TV button) but nothing else does. I have to do a hard shutdown.

I've tested a clean SD card with just the latest Mocha (dimok's) and SaveMii Mod from another person whose setup works. I'm using the latest haxchi, and have tested loading haxchi > hbc > SaveMii Mod as well as haxchi > hbc > mocha > hbc > SaveMii Mod.

I've completely reformatted my SD card to remove redNAND (FAT32 with 64k clusters) as well. I've tested the SD card with h2testw, and ensured the lock switch is unlocked. My USB drive works fine, and its Y-cable has worked fine with several other drives and consoles. I've checked for Mac invisibles (._ files) on the SD card, and there are none.

If anyone else is having this or a similar issue just getting SaveMii Mod to run under any circumstances, please take the poll and post if you think you have any relevant info that might help narrow down the cause of this issue. Hopefully we can gather enough info to figure out why this is happening and either find a workaround or help @GabyPCgeeK fix it somehow.

Last edited by Ailuros27, Sep 16, 2017 - Reason: Grammar
  2. GabyPCgeeK

GabyPCgeeK Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2017
    Puerto Rico
    If it's not CFW dependent and only with USB, it probably has something to do with game names. I'll try tomorrow to post a version for you to try.

If you have used ftpiiu everywhere before, can you post a list of all folders inside "/storage_usb/usr/save/00050000"

3. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    I used it today to see how many titles I had, it back screen the first time, it booted fine the second one, I use haxchi built-in cfw with a Wii U formated HDD always attached.

4. Ailuros27
    OP

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    I can navigate the USB with ftpiiu everywhere? I'll look into that and get you that list after work then.

5. Ailuros27
    OP

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    Here they are, @GabyPCgeeK:
    USB Storage Titles

6. GabyPCgeeK

GabyPCgeeK Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2017
    Puerto Rico
    @Ailuros27 Try this version and tell me what is the last text displayed.

Attached Files:

7. Ailuros27
    OP

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    @GabyPCgeeK titles8

If that means it's freezing on the 8th title in the list included with my previous post, then that would mean it's hanging on Balloon Fight™, possibly because of the ™?

Last edited by Ailuros27, Sep 18, 2017 - Reason: additional info
  8. GabyPCgeeK

GabyPCgeeK Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2017
    Puerto Rico
    No titles8 is the 8th text displayed inside the title loading function. Seems to freeze when allocating memory for the titles structure.

@Ailuros27 Try this version and tell me what is the last text displayed.

Attached Files:

9. Ailuros27
    OP

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    It'll be a few more hours before I can try. I'm at work now.

10. Ailuros27
    OP

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    @GabyPCgeeK It black screened immediately after "titles7" appeared on the screen.

11. GabyPCgeeK

GabyPCgeeK Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2017
    Puerto Rico
    @Ailuros27 First try with savemii_mod1 and if it doesn't work then try savemii_mod2.

Attached Files:

12. Ailuros27
    OP

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    @GabyPCgeeK The first one works. Thank you so much!

13. GabyPCgeeK

GabyPCgeeK Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2017
    Puerto Rico
    Ok. I'll try to upload tomorrow (hurricane Maria is close to Puerto Rico) a new version with the fixes and without the strange texts (title1, xml1, etc).

Also there is bug that for copying saves between NAND <-> USB "Sort:" must be on "None". I'll try to fix that too for tomorrow.

comput3rus3r, Madridi and Ailuros27 like this.
  14. Ailuros27
    OP

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    Don't feel rushed on my account. Just be safe!

15. Madridi

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Stay safe :)

16. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Addict

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    i'm getting blackscreen when i try to run savemii mod. :(
    i'm on 5.5.1 is this for 5.5.2 only?

17. comput3rus3r

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    does this work on 5.5.1? cuz i'm getting black screen when i try to run it. I have a usb hard drive as well. haven't tried disconnecting it because that would defeat the purpose.

18. Madridi

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    I wonder if @GabyPCgeeK is doing well.. last he was around was right before the hurricane in Puerto Rico. Maybe a staff member can reach out just to make sure he's ok

comput3rus3r likes this.
  19. Ailuros27
    OP

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    Yeah. I've been wondering that, too. In any case, if anyone is having black screens try the first attachment in that last message of his. It worked for me.

20. comput3rus3r

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    i'll try today