Who does all the custom Xenforo work here @ TEMP ?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Most of the initial technical work after we switched to XenForo was done by me, including bugfixes and some custom addons (review center, Ask!, new content page, the portal). Then after a while when Costello got better with XenForo, he also added some stuff like the game center. The custom skin is in turn done by shaunj66.

I also have to add that I am really just a programmer, though. The ideas and designs usually come from the other admins/staff. For example Costello made a static HTML template for the portal, which I turned into a working version.
Some other stuff like the review center, Ask GBAtemp etc are also based on the old versions he did from when we were on IPB (design wise, the code is all new).

Thread Access Lists was something I worked out myself in order to allow people to collaborate on threads for projects and to keep them more up to date. It actually also allows moderators to lock individual users from threads or to grant limited moderator abilities over a thread (which is used very sparingly and can not be requested)

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most custom stuff you see here was programmed by me, including our 12 or so custom addons.

Amazing work.
Kudos to you.
If you needed spare coin, you could easily get lots of paid work making custom addons. There is quite a bit of demand for custom Xenforo addons (and relatively few good coders). With XF 2.0 coming out, there will be lots of custom work.
FYI !

Reactions: Subtle Demise

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
gbatemp.new.content.with.tabs.jpg

@tj_cool

Great job on the NEW Content.
The Tabbed sorting is great.
People don't realize how much work it was to bring this type of stuff on board.

My small tip would apply only to portrait viewing on my iphone 6 plus.
The "tabs" take up a whole row (All, Threads, Blogs, Reviews, Questions).
Breaking up the tabs into two columns would reduce the screen real estate (top to bottom) taken up by the Tabs and enable more content to be displayed.

Of course, it works perfect in Landscape :)

My main point is ... AMAZING job.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah, the tabs do indeed take a lot of space. I will try putting them in 2 columns as you suggested.

It was a bit of work yeah, but it needed to be done anyway; the recent content block on the portal (and forum index) uses the same underlying code. In fact the portal block can be styled exactly like the new content page by customizing the portal.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It actually also allows moderators to grant limited moderator abilities over a thread (which is used very sparingly and can not be requested)
I've been granted such limited abilities over a thread and feel utterly honored by that. I think it's a really wonderful feature and really enriches the functionality of this site!

While we're at it, I've noticed that the "Update your status" text field on the mobile version of the front page is too wide for my Galaxy S4 (in portrait mode). Not sure by how much, 10 px perhaps. It makes the whole site scroll left and right (I can provide a screenshot if you want).

Reactions: osirisjem

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@tj_cool the portal/home page is a work of art.

You should make your own community software package. Really. Almost certainly a homerun. If you got sick of it .. You could sell it to Internet Brands as they are desperate to move to something !!! Haha.

Have you ever thought of getting into something like writing a community software package ? The world needs you

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I loved the old style so much, it will take some time to get a feel for the new one.
Lots to like with the new style that is for sure.
I'm more about usability than style FWIW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [cricket sounds]