White page o' death

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by dlf, May 20, 2010.

May 20, 2010

White page o' death by dlf at 5:19 AM (1,124 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. dlf
    OP

Member dlf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Probably going to sound strange. But on another forum I visit, there's one thread I probably visit more than the rest of the site, all fine and dandy, right? Except for the past couple days (and probably weeks) I am UNABLE to get the FIRST PAGE of the topic and ONLY that page, the rest of the site and topic I can VISIT.

I have cleared my cache, cookies, tried multiple browsers & computers. Reformatted as well (albeit not because of this) and I still can't get to the page when I am in my account on the site.

2. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Either way it is almost certainly server-side, barring some sort of divine sequence of coincidences.

Can you access the page on a different account / no account on the forums?

If not then it is obviously down for everyone. Nothing you can really do aside from tell the administrators, who probably can't do much about it anyway.

If you can, then there's a problem with your account. I would, again, talk to the forum admin.

3. dlf
    OP

Member dlf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    When I am not in my account on the site, I can access the page but once I log in (regardless of browser or computer) WHITE PAGE! Far as I know I have a good account, but why ONE PAGE of the ENTIRE site instead of the whole site, or the message board the topic is posted in?

4. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Completely off topic, but why is it that whenever something bad happens, it always has to fit the

"The (color) (noun) of death" format?

5. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Same reason every remake on the Wii is a Wiimake, and every game console in the 80s was a Nintendo, 90s Playstation to uninformed people. It's just de facto rule.

6. dlf
    OP

Member dlf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Here's something even stranger now. I just flipped the topic order around (newest post on the first page, oldest @ the back) and now I can get to "page 1" but not the last page (which used to be page 1). What the heck? Far as i can tell when I am logged out, there should be nothing on that page affecting me.

7. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Maybe there's some sort of virus on the page and your firewall blocks the page. I haven't got a clue.

8. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I bet there's a script running on that page that's corrupt or purposefully malicious? But it is strange that you can get on it when not logged in?

9. dlf
    OP

Member dlf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I could ask the administrator if I could make a second account and see what that does. I doubt that'd help. Why would one person get this and not more --- before & after I reformat this computer (albeit I didn't reformat because of this problem).

10. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I think I just did the brown shite of death.

11. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    It could be malicious code on that topic's page.

Do you run FireFox, or any browser with a script blocker? That might remedy the problem, but be warned: if it IS your script blocker, something dangerous could be on that page. :\

12. dlf
    OP

Member dlf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Why would I be able to get to it if I am not in my account, but once I log in I am unable to? I found the problem: I had posts set to 20 / page, instead of 10. Somehow I guess it was too much for the parser (I think?) to handle.