• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

White House must [temporarily] return CNN reporter's media pass, judge rules

Attacker3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Link

A U.S. federal judge on Friday ordered the Trump administration to immediately reinstate CNN reporter Jim Acosta's credentials to cover the White House.

U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Kelly, an appointee of President Donald Trump, announced his decision following a hearing in Washington. The judge said Acosta's credentials would be returned immediately and reactivated to allow him access to the White House.

CNN had asked the judge to force the White House to immediately hand back the credentials that give Acosta, CNN's chief White House correspondent, access to the complex for media briefings and other events. CNN asked for Acosta's credentials restored while a lawsuit over his credentials' revocation goes forward.

Following the ruling, the White House said it will temporarily reinstate Acosta's access privileges.

New development, what do you guys think?

Reactions: CallmeBerto

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its freedom of the press and the judgment is called right in my eyes, but the relationship between Acosta and Trump is contentious at best, and all parties involved would be better suited with a change of face by CNN for White House coverage.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its freedom of the press and the judgment is called right in my eyes, but the relationship between Acosta and Trump is contentious at best, and all parties involved would be better suited with a change of face by CNN for White House coverage.

Yeah well CNN and it's butthurt reporters can suck it.

Attacker3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
freedom of the press

If this is freedom of the press, then why are only large news organizations granted press passes? Sure, sometimes they grant individual press passes to individuals, but they're temporarily. The freedom of the press is based on the ability for the press to publish information. A hypothetical example would be Trump sending the FBI to raid CNN's headquarters after they make a bad opinion piece on him. People do not have a right to enter the White House. HOWEVER, I am in total support of this, as if he is allowed back in, it will set a precedent of people being able to get a press pass no matter their affiliation. I would be able to get a pass if this goes through. Pretty cool.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah well CNN and it's butthurt reporters can suck it.
Do you have anything constructive to contribute, or do you just say "suck it CNN" and make other basic remarks that add nothing to the conversation?

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is freedom of the press, then why are only large news organizations granted press passes? Sure, sometimes they grant individual press passes to individuals, but they're temporarily. The freedom of the press is based on the ability for the press to publish information. A hypothetical example would be Trump sending the FBI to raid CNN's headquarters after they make a bad opinion piece on him. People do not have a right to enter the White House. HOWEVER, I am in total support of this, as if he is allowed back in, it will set a precedent of people being able to get a press pass no matter their affiliation. I would be able to get a pass if this goes through. Pretty cool.

Do you have anything constructive to contribute, or do you just say "suck it CNN" and make other basic remarks that add nothing to the conversation?
Fair enough. It would be quite capitalist to allow smaller organizations to flourish with allowing their coverage of White House activity. I like that. Maybe they could do a lottery for press conferences or something.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

All Jim ever does, and all CNN reporters do is complain ad infinitum. They contribute nothing positive, always being negative, they only despise Trump because he doesn't share the same left views as does CNN and their reporters. Happy? I can't stand the left because they're always complaining about how those on the right never agree with anything. Why can't people just believe whatever political views they want and not have the opposite side cry about it?

CNN has done nothing but bash the right, so, apparently, it's now a crime to not have left/liberal views in this day and age. You have to be PC to not offend little Johnny, you have to have gun control because that will somehow stop criminals, oh I could go on and on.

So yeah, Jim Acosta is a dick for not being a well-balanced and fair reporter, only being a biased little punk, contributing absolutely nothing of value. This is why I have zero faith in the mainstream media, no news and celebrity-like sensationalist bullshit.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Freedom of the press. Y'know a key aspect of a healthy liberal democracy.

Yes, but that doesn't give the right for the reporter to be a total dickweed, now does it? If they don't treat one person with respect, why should we treat them back the same?

Attacker3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Freedom of the press. Y'know a key aspect of a healthy liberal democracy.

read this

They are not barring CNN totally from the meetings, so this is not a violation of freedom of the press.

And the US is not a liberal democracy. It is a constitutional republic.

Yes, but that doesn't give the right for the reporter to be a total dickweed, now does it? If they don't treat one person with respect, why should we treat them back the same?

tooknie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Would be better to replace the nutter in the White House rather than the reporter if you ask me. But hey, it's your country so fuck it up all you want...

Reactions: ut2k4master

Attacker3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would be better to replace the nutter in the White House rather than the reporter if you ask me. But hey, it's your country so fuck it up all you want...

Or perhaps we can all agree that the government structure has way too much power and should be completely reworked to allow for more individual freedom and responsibility? Nah, people want to keep gambling that they get the stars aligned and gets someone on their team that actually does something

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Or perhaps we can all agree that the government structure has way too much power and should be completely reworked to allow for more individual freedom and responsibility? Nah, people want to keep gambling that they get the stars aligned and gets someone on their team that actually does something

You mean you want people to take personal responsibility for their lives and not vote for free shit?? Are you me?

Attacker3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You mean you want people to take personal responsibility for their lives and not vote for free shit?? Are you me?

I hate that this is such a rare position to hold. I don't think that the government is useful at all at this point in the US. One party does something, the other fucks with it, and then nothing happens. Republicans and Democrats are almost the same, except that Republicans want tax cuts that help the rich, and Democrats want laws that protect the rich. The Libertarian party is a joke in the US, however. A big fucking meme, so this is what you get.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what would happen if the WH says no? Also, CNN should just send someone else. The WH didn't ban the entire news organization, just one guy.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think we really needed a new thread about this, but ok. Since it's here, I'll repost the Ann Althouse link. She's a Professor at the Univ. of Wisconsin Law School. It's an interesting take - she's of the opinion that Trump got exactly what he wanted out of this.

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2018/11/how-trump-won-acosta-lawsuit.html

The judge framed it as a matter of process, which justifies Trump issuing a set of rules of decorum. I assume the rules will include a requirement that a reporter who has received a response (whether it's to his liking or not) must relinquish the microphone, that there can be no physical interference with a staff member who reaches out to take the microphone, and that one must stop talking once the President (or press secretary) has moved on to the next questioner.

Any complaints about these rules and the prescribed consequences of violating them can be met with pieties about adhering to the judge's ruling. Things must be done in an orderly way — in the press room and in a system of due process. Any complaints premised on freedom of the press will be met with statements like "We want total freedom of the press" and we want perfect due process. So here you are, here's notice of our rules of decorum. And that should be the end of the kind of questioning Acosta has become famous for. Trump wins.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Trump gets angry with any journalist that asks him a real question. It doesn't matter who CNN has as their white house correspondent, since Trump long ago declared war on the entire network.

He's been especially mopey and standoffish since the midterm didn't go his way.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: +1