Hacking while trying to change wii from E to U, bricked.

juins

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone. I bricked a wii today. Was hoping someone could help me.
The objective was to change its region from PAL to NTSC, (4.3). In the past, (like in 2010 or 2011) i successfully did this a couple of times, but in reality i dont really remember the exact steps i did it in the past.

Anyways, i installed HBC and did a NAND backup, i installed bootmii as IOS, (this is a new wii, NO GC PORTS version) and went on my way to installing ios 249 the easy way with d2x installer so that i didnt have to mess around with ios36.

After that, i went to AnyRegionChanger and did all the steps to change the wii to USA, and then after that opened up DOP-mii to try to install system menu 4.3. I got errors while it autoinstalls ios80, so i installed it manually. After that i recall getting more errors, so i trucha´d ios 36.

After that, i tried to install system menu 4.3U again, and got another error, i believe it was -102. I got out of dopmii and just remembered my brother hadnt installed priiloader, so i tried to install it, but was getting an error about tmd data. After that, anyregionchanger cried about tmd data also, i went to homebrew channel , loaded bootmii and tried to restore NAND, i got a message something about entering konami code, but this Wii doesnt have GC ports.

In the end, i turned it off, and now its just stuck on black screen, no audio and wiimote does not sync.

Can anyone help me out? Its been a while since i homebrew´ed a wii, and bad luck got me this time.
Can i get into recovery mode even without a gc control? also, if this wii is STILL on PAL or has NO system menu, what region game should i load? i live in nicaragua and have no access to PAL games. I read somewhere that in recovery mode, backups work.

Appreciate the time and help anyone can give me.

WaryLouka

Official Representative of the SuperCard Team
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to my calculations ( Probably ):

- Your Wii is still on PAL, as no definitive changes has been applied.
- System Menu 4.3U has been installed, the wrong one.

Never, never do some permanent changes to your NAND, or even change your region. It's even worst when you simply try to recall it from memory.
Go to Wiibrew and fellow the tutorials, for christ's sakes.

Also, why did you want to change regions?

Edit: It's highly dangerous to restore nand from BootMii IOS. Never do that.​

Reactions: Yepi69

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't wanna say you're fucked... but you are fucked, after all the Wii has got no GC ports, which means no SaveMiiFree and no SaveMii, you could try installing a modchip and use an autoboot disc, but even so...

juins

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
According to my calculations ( Probably ):

- Your Wii is still on PAL, as no definitive changes has been applied.
- System Menu 4.3U has been installed, the wrong one.

Never, never do some permanent changes to your NAND, or even change your region. It's even worst when you simply try to recall it from memory.
Go to Wiibrew and fellow the tutorials, for christ's sakes.

Also, why you want to change regions?

because the wii is PAL and is in NTSC territory, no access to PAL games, and i wanted it for usb launching AND launching retail games too. In this case, ntsc games, hence, the region change.

"- System Menu 4.3U has been installed, the wrong one." what do u mean with that? Also, i read that ios36 shouldnt be downgraded. idk if that has anything to do with it, but i downgraded it to v3351.

Thanks for your time, do u think u can post a link to my specific case? its been a while since i softmodded a wii, maybe there is something new discovered that was not known in the past.

(I cant access recovery mode because this wii has no GC ports.)

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
But but... you could've used USB Loader GX, it has support for BOTH regions and you could use Priiloader to boot NTSC and PAL games from the disc channel as normal.
Changing the region is stupid as hell because there's a 50% chance of bricking your Wii on the spot, specially if your Wii doesn't have GC ports.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh dang... Your biggest mistake was turning it all the way off. The Wii had a chance as long as it was in Homebrew Channel, but now... if there's no Priiloader and no BootMii... I'm afraid you're boned, man.

Your only possible option of recovery would be to flash the NAND with an nand.bin assembled for your system using ohneswanzenegger using a physical flashing kit, it's practically your only hope at this point... you're probably better off buying a new Wii, unless you have a flashing kit already.

juins

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't wanna say you're fucked... but you are fucked, after all the Wii has got no GC ports, which means no SaveMiiFree and no SaveMii, you could try installing a modchip and use an autoboot disc, but even so...

i DO have an extra wii with a D2A drive (the first drive model) modchipped with wii2key. i THINK.... i actually dont remember, i revived a couple in the past like 4 years ago, i can make an autoboot iso, and so dont need a GC? am i right? i thought the autoboot disc had to have a higher firmware than the one on the wii?

That wouldnt be possible, since its on 4.3

Oh dang... Your biggest mistake was turning it all the way off... if there's no Priiloader and no BootMii... I'm afraid you're boned, man. Your only possible option of recovery would be to physically flash the NAND with an nand.bin assembled for your system using ohneswanzenegger, it's practically your only hope at this point... but you'd need a flashing kit for that sort of fun - you're probably better off buying a new Wii.

what i do have access to is an infectus modchip. I dont know if its the same thing you are mentioning, but a friend keeps one on him for ps3 stuff i believe he told me.

Cant i do anything with another drive that is modchipped? autoboot patching an ISO so that i wouldnt need a GC controller?

But but... you could've used USB Loader GX, it has support for BOTH regions and you could use Priiloader to boot NTSC and PAL games from the disc channel as normal.
Changing the region is stupid as hell because there's a 50% chance of bricking your Wii on the spot, specially if your Wii doesn't have GC ports.

yea. i guess the confidence of being able to do it in the past got me in this boat., also, never liked the black and white on display. i use a standard TV for melee and it hurts my eyes.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
what i do have access to is an infectus modchip. I dont know if its the same thing you are mentioning, but a friend keeps one on him for ps3 stuff i believe he told me.

Cant i do anything with another drive that is modchipped? autoboot patching an ISO so that i wouldnt need a GC controller?

There are two things you can do. You can use the Infectus chip to flash the NAND with a new nand.bin (guide available here), assembled using the forementioned app. The other method involves soldering on a Gamecube port (the motherboard still has all the necessary solder points) and using SaveMiiFrii.

Both methods involve soldering, nothing else comes to mind. Pick your poison. ;)

Reactions: Coto

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
yea. i guess the confidence of being able to do it in the past got me in this boat., also, never liked the black and white on display. i use a standard TV for melee and it hurts my eyes.

You can play NTSC games at full color like PAL games.

juins

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There are two things you can do. You can use the Infectus chip to flash the NAND with a new nand.bin (guides available online - just google Wii Infectus), assembled using the forementioned app. The other method involves soldering on a Gamecube port (the motherboard still has all the necessary solder points, I'm pretty sure it's been done before) and using SaveMiiFrii. Pick your poison. ;)

ah.. the specific soldering for port#4. i was actually reading on that.

let me rephrase my question. If i swap drives with one that reads backups with wiikey, and i burn an patched autobooted ISO to a disc and have it inserted while turning on the wii, Wouldnt it boot automatically, even without doing the controller #4 trick?

Thats what i actually dont remember

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

let me rephrase my question. If i swap drives with one that reads backups with wiikey, and i burn an patched autobooted ISO to a disc and have it inserted while turning on the wii, Wouldnt it boot automatically, even without doing the controller #4 trick?

Why not try it then?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

I have no clue. As it stands today, you have an incompatible System Menu installed, which is the equivalent of having no System Menu at all. If you manage to autoboot somehow, sure - that could work. Could being the keyword. ;)

EDIT: I just realized that you were working on 4.3... The System Menu might not even want to update in this case.... I guess we'll see - experiment, you don't have anything to lose at this point.

juins

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Why not try it then?

local shop where i left it is closed today till monday, Im recollecting information because im pretty sure he wont be able to fix it.

I have no clue. As it stands today, you have an incompatible System Menu installed, which is the equivalent of having no System Menu at all. If you manage to autoboot somehow, sure - that could work. Could being the keyword. ;)

EDIT: I just realized that you were working on 4.3... The System Menu might not even want to update in this case.... I guess we'll see - experiment, you don't have anything to lose at this point.

sigh.. Just read your edit. Can you link me to anything i can read on this or tools and stuff? im working with an outdated memory here.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
local shop where i left it is closed today till monday, Im recollecting information because im pretty sure he wont be able to fix it. sigh.. Just read your edit. Can you link me to anything i can read on this or tools and stuff? im working with an outdated memory here.
Unless someone else will have a better idea on what to do, you have this for the flashing using an Infectus modchip programmer and this for assembling a new nand.bin from scratch or at least fixing yours if you manage to dump it.

juins

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Unless someone else will have a better idea on what to do, you have this for the flashing using an Infectus modchip programmer and this for assembling a new nand.bin from scratch or at least fixing yours if you manage to dump it.

i DO have a NAND backup though

EDIT , and the reason i turned off the wii completly was because priloader was crying about something of not being able to fetch tmd data and quitting, and then i went into bootmii and got stuck on "try harder hashimoto san"

juins

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If I were you, I'd wait for someone else to post as well - perhaps I'm missing something. If all goes sour, you can try bothering one of our resident modders. ;)

yup, ill keep coming back to this thread for the rest of today and tomorrow. Anyone else with helpful info, please let me know.

WaryLouka

Official Representative of the SuperCard Team
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because the wii is PAL and is in NTSC territory, no access to PAL games, and i wanted it for usb launching AND launching retail games too. In this case, ntsc games, hence, the region change.

"- System Menu 4.3U has been installed, the wrong one." what do u mean with that? Also, i read that ios36 shouldnt be downgraded. idk if that has anything to do with it, but i downgraded it to v3351.

Thanks for your time, do u think u can post a link to my specific case? its been a while since i softmodded a wii, maybe there is something new discovered that was not known in the past.

(I cant access recovery mode because this wii has no GC ports.)

1 .By 4.3U, i mean your region didnt been changed, but your system menu is. Therefore you bricked.
2. Downgrading IOS36 is useless. Just install IOS236 if you dont have it and it should be fine.
3. Fellow this tutorial next time. It will help you.

There's another way to fix your brick, using very long Copper Wire, around 2-3 300K Resistors and a spare usb drive, but you'll have to first check if your wii is still able to read discs ( put a discs into your wii, boot and listen )

Contact me for further assistance

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr