whiite-linux as Internet Shannel replacement

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by eadmaster, Apr 2, 2011.

1. eadmaster
    OP

Newcomer eadmaster Advanced Member

Italy
    I've just tried the internet channel for the first time and i'm a bit disappointed by the poor UI and the lack of many features.
    So i'm thinking to uninstall the channel and use firefox/icewasel from white-linux instead.
    Btw, i have a few questions:
    - is it possible to place the ext2 partition in an USB pendrive?
    - which repositories does the distro use? (i need the list of available packages)
    - is there any Flash-compatible package?
    - how is it the web-browsing experience? I've read there isn't much free memory available for user programs, so this may represent an issue...

2. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Nope. Linux requires bootmii boot2 to be able to make use of the wireless card...... and must be loaded through bootmii.

3. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    you never heard of bootmii IOS?

4. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    didn't realize they got it working through bootmii IOS. It's been awhile since I'd bothered to look into the linux distros for the wii. Last I'd heard you had to have the boot2 replacement to be able to do that.

5. eadmaster
    OP

Newcomer eadmaster Advanced Member

Italy
    Ok, i've found a few answers:
    I guess it uses debian powerpc repos.
    I've found there is not Sun java and no Flash plugin, because these are non-free x86-only packages.
    As replacement, gnash should work for the latter, while openjdk required 256MB of memory when i tried to install in colinux, so i think it won't be possible to install even if there is a package.

I still like to read some user reports about browsing speed and memory issues.