Which Xbox 360 is suggested to buy?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by kevenka, Dec 7, 2008.

Dec 7, 2008
  1. kevenka
    OP

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I read that the arcade version doesn't have a hard drive, so I wouldn't be able to store any backups on it, thus, needing to buy a seperate drive. What I was wondering is, for those experienced with modding a 360, which one would you reccomend? Also, should I just buy one pre-modded on ebay? or do you think I could save a lot more just doing it myself?
    Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

2. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It doesn't require a lot of effort so you could save time and money doing it yourself

Remember: A Western Digital SATA BEVS-LAT hard drive must be used (no other hard drives will work).

3. greyhound

Member greyhound GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    by backups do you mean legitimate backups of retail games to the HDD in the way the New Xbox Experience permits or copies obtaining via alternate means?

4. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The 360's DVD Drive is very... how you say... LOUD! Because of this, Microsoft recently came out with a system to store all the information from a game's DVD onto your hard drive, and play it off of that.

However,

If they did not have some sort of check if place with the game installs, then one would simply be able to drive out to Blockbuster, rent a truckload of games, save them on their hard drive, and return them to the store. Because of this, the 360 requires that if you are playing a game saved off of the hard drive, then the game must be sitting inside of your 360's DVD drive.

The only advantages to this is the fact that your 360 is quieter, and games load about 5 seconds faster. If you're pirating 360 games, then you cannot, say, dump a collection of games to the 360's hard drive and play straight from that. You would still have to burn the pirated game to a DVD and then save them all to your hard drive like everyone else.

As for if you should buy pre-modded or not, well, you'll probably be buying off eBay either way. About every 9 months Microsoft comes out with a new DVD drive model, and it needs to be hacked differently every time. They've gotten good over the years, so the current DVD drive which comes with a 360 is currently impossible to hack, and while major strides have been made in understanding how it works, it will probably still be months before they figure out how to hack it, if ever. So at this point in time, off the shelf 360s are not an option if you're going to hack them.

If you buy a 360 of of eBay, you will want to make sure that it is one of of the hackable drives (Google around, you want anything besides a Lite-On). I would not recommend getting on with a RRoD or X-Clamp Fix, as I bought one of these consoles for the purpose of hacking and it died 3 months after I bought it, before I even got around to hacking the thing. Since you're going the eBay route, you'll probably want to try and get it pre-hacked anyways, just to save you the trouble of doing it yourself.

Also, hacked 360s are once again getting banned from XBox Live. Rather than banning users, Microsoft bans consoles from the service, so if you buy a used system, it may be unable to go online. Even if it's not banned, you always run the risk of getting kicked off the service.

So, if you want my opinion on 360 hacking? It's not worth the trouble. After my mod-able 360 died, I went out and bought one of the brand new units. It's nicer, quieter, and faster than my old one, and doesn't lock up as much, etc. GameStop has gotten better at doing worthwhile sales, and enough old games like Assassin's Creed have dropped in price so they're only say, $15 dollars. I would personally just save the time, effort, and worry about getting banned, and go sell some of your easily pirated Wii and DS games to get some money for 360 games.

Wow that was a long post. Hope it helped.

5. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It won't be months before they figure out how to hack the current drive. It's already been done , it's just not released to the public yet.

6. kevenka
    OP

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

Seriously...Which do you think -.-
    and yea, thanks for the info sjones. Well, I wasn't planning on playing live...so getting ban won't be such a big deal to me [​IMG]
    I just wanted a system where I can play shooter games with my friends and family. I'll look into it a bit mroe with the info you have given me. ^^

7. greyhound

Member greyhound GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    You can't copy the games directly to the HDD ala original xbox. I was trying to gather more information for people to help you out.