Homebrew Which way do you prefer to play gba games on your 9.2 3ds?

Which way do you prefer to play gba games on your 9.2 3ds?

• AGB_FIRM (gba virtual console)

Votes: 119 73.5%
  • GPSP CIA (gba emulation)

Votes: 43 26.5%

• Total voters

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant seem to get the injected gba running. I installed the cia to the sysnand via pasta, and r
Emunand via reinand (in my sig) and both result in an error. What is the AGB_FIRM, and is it required for gba?

sniper_x002

Trophies
XP
Country
Despite never actually trying to do the AGB_Firm method I would like to add my input.

I am using GPSP and playing Pokemon Leaf Green just fine as well as Legend of Zelda Minish Cap. Everything is working as it should except for Multiplayer and Linking.
I haven't encountered any issues unless it's something wrong with "the most bleeding edge nightly build" which I just rollback.

I hear that the graphics are much better using GPSP.
But it sounds pretty cool to think that with AGB your GBA game roms are running exactly as on a GameBoy Advanced.

I wonder how multiplayer and linking will turn out and if there will be any progress made when Pokemon Blue and Red are released for Virtual Console with multiplayer linking.

So, at the end, AGB_Firm vs GPSP? Which offers a better experience? What are we ultimately comparing?
I think GBA games do look better in emulation (excluding filters, which make it look even better) as they do if you play a GBA game in a DS. It's more colorful IIRC. Also I had a problem when playing Metroid Zero Mission in emuNAND (non emulation), there seemed to be some sort of motion blur where every move you can see part of the last frame that annoyed the heck out of me.

Last edited by sniper_x002,

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think GBA games do look better in emulation (excluding filters, which make it look even better) as they do if you play a GBA game in a DS. It's more colorful IIRC. Also I had a problem when playing Metroid Zero Mission in emuNAND (non emulation), there seemed to be some sort of motion blur where every move you can see part of the last frame that annoyed the heck out of me.
I play Zero Mission and I've never noticed this. I've always prefer injection over gpsp. I'm on an o3ds and gpsp cannot maintain playable framerates.

sniper_x002

Trophies
XP
Country
I think GBA games do look better in emulation (excluding filters, which make it look even better) as they if you play a GBA game in a DS. It's more colorful IIRC.
I play Zero Mission and I've never noticed this. I've always prefer injection over gpsp. I'm on an o3ds and gpsp cannot maintain playable framerates.
I have an N3ds, maybe it is either the ROM I picked or the N3DS itself.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I haven't tried gpSP on 3DS at all but if runs that bad on o3DS then I'll stick to injections.
I imagine it should run as well as it runs on PSP, which is playable but not perfect(TempGBA runs better but still needs frameskip here and there). After you have played on a real GBA with silky smooth framerates you can't go back to choppy emulation. :yaysp:

I'll give it a try anyway to compare, if it can run on 10.5 n3DS through ocarinahax I could do a four-way comparison(DSTwo, PSPgo, o3DS and n3DS).

smisk42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far I've just been using gpsp, and it's worked fine with all the games I've tried (n3ds), though I did get one crash. One of these days I'll check out the VC injection, but it just seems like a hassle to install AGB_FIRM, then install the game to sys and emunand (if I understand the process correctly).
It's much easier just to copy a rom onto the sd and play it through the emulator.

D

Deleted User

AGB_Firm is the only way Ive been able to play Mother 3 absolutely 100% perfect so Im going with that

Reactions: SLiV3R

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I have been playing with gpsp lately. But the cia version crashes a lot for me. It's very unstable atm. So even if gpsp has better filters, it's not just worth it imo.

Cloud9Skywalker

Pokémon Researcher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't quite understand entirely the AGB_FIRM [Release] thread very well.
(I would like to try out AGB_FIRM for myself and see which method I prefer.)

Is that thread that I linked the Tutorial to injecting ROMs into Virtual Console or is that not it?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have been playing with gpsp lately. But the cia version crashes a lot for me. It's very unstable atm. So even if gpsp has better filters, it's not just worth it imo.

The latest latest nightly isn't working properly. The release I have been most successful with at the moment is the 02/04/16 release.
I'm not sure what your setup is but it's working on my current setup.

Last edited by Cloud9Skywalker,

Rosselman

Spooky Skeleton
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Use the stable release. I've been using it since release, no problems so far. I'm halfway through Mother 3 with it.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I'm very sensitive about ghosting. I gave my old psp to a friend because of ghosting problems etc.

But I haven't seen any ghosting on gba injection yet.

SMA3:YI is probably the worst offender of this, and the injects themselves are a bit washed out, making them more susceptible to the ghosting, imo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: happy birth +1