Which version of FFIV should I get?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Covarr, Jun 13, 2009.

Jun 13, 2009
  1. Covarr
    OP

Member Covarr Sentient Cash Register

United States
    Yesterday, I started playing Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, and I realized I had no idea what the hell was going on. I'm guessing this is because I never played FFIV all the way through, so I decided I needed to go all the way through this time, instead of stopping halfway through like I did last time.

So, any advice as to what version I should play? I have access to every English language version (SNES, GBA, DS, PSX) and retranslation, so I was curious if anybody had any suggestions as to which official release or fan translation was the best.

And no, I will not be using J2E's translation. Word for word at the cost of flow does not a good translation make.

2. eric_4_life

Member eric_4_life GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    DS is the best

3. Covarr
    OP

United States
    Was strongly considering DS version, only thing is I can't play it on my TV. And the serious voice acting seems unnatural coming from cutesy characters.

4. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    If your looking for TV... PSx, or GBA via GameCube GBA adapter...

Portability, get the GBA version, since it's the closest to the original as can be... if you like it, and aren't that far in, try the DS version... it's actually fun with Voice Acting

5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    just get the snes version and play it through snes9x on the wii. cos it looks exactly the same as after years.

6. Covarr
    OP

United States
    If you mean closest to the original Japanese, that's a good thing, as I've been led to believe the original SNES translation wasn't all that great.

I'll give the GBA version a try on VBA-GX.

Thanks, all, for the input [​IMG].

7. Taedirk

Newcomer Taedirk Member

United States
    Original SNES USA released was wussed the hell out. Lots of items and abilities removed, some major missing points from the storyline. Bosses made easier, esuna and ether pots at rock bottom prices. It falls under the 90s principle that Americans were too dumb for jrpgs (see also: Mystic Quest). There are some romhack translations out there for the original FF4j, but GBA or DS versions are just fine too.

8. chrispinifer

Newcomer chrispinifer Advanced Member

Canada
    I'd play them all.. but that's just because FFIV is my favourite one of them all! I'd play the SNES version first, then the GBA version, followed by DS, so you could appreciate it all the more.

So far, I like The After Years but it seems to be missing something... it's magic perhaps...

9. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You could always play the GBA version using VisualBoy Advance GX or something.

10. Covarr
    OP

United States
    I could? That hadn't occurred to me. [​IMG]