Homebrew Which version of CATSFC Plus should I use? They're all running terribly poorly.

sacredshinobi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on a n3DS. I've tried the last two nightly builds and on Earthbound during the beginning when you select the menu color and the names it goes below 1fps. On games like Megaman X and Super Metroid it goes into 20fps after the intro part. It just isn't working well. If it matters i'm running them as installed from the cia files.

Is this just for me? Is there a preferred Nightly build?

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering: do you have filters on? Those might account for performance issues. quick edit: to disable filters, just highlight "filters" in the video menu and press start, just in case you didn't know that.

Regardless, CatSFC Plus does indeed slow down with some games even on n3DS, from my experience (e.g. full screen transparency effects for underwater levels in Mega Man X3). I think the only cores that benefit from CIA installation would be the ones that have dynamic recompilation, those being Picodrive (32X games will only run with dynarec enabled), gpSP, and PCSX-Rearmed. Otherwise, I believe performance is the same as 3dsx versions.

Last edited by kenseiden,

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
N3DS XL (9.2sys/10.6emu via ReiNAND 3.2)
Running CatSFC+ .cia

image.jpeg
I'm getting almost 60 FPS at the menu selection screen. Current settings are:

Audio sync: Off
Audio driver: csnd
Audio resampler driver: nearest
V-sync: On
Video filters: Off

Last edited by NekoMichi,

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on a n3DS. I've tried the last two nightly builds and on Earthbound during the beginning when you select the menu color and the names it goes below 1fps. On games like Megaman X and Super Metroid it goes into 20fps after the intro part. It just isn't working well. If it matters i'm running them as installed from the cia files.

Is this just for me? Is there a preferred Nightly build?
Use Blarg or regular Catsfc, preferably the retroarch version

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering: do you have filters on? Those might account for performance issues. quick edit: to disable filters, just highlight "filters" in the video menu and press start, just in case you didn't know that.

Regardless, CatSFC Plus does indeed slow down with some games even on n3DS, from my experience (e.g. full screen transparency effects for underwater levels in Mega Man X3). I think the only cores that benefit from CIA installation would be the ones that have dynamic recompilation, those being Picodrive (32X games will only run with dynarec enabled), gpSP, and PCSX-Rearmed. Otherwise, I believe performance is the same as 3dsx versions.
I also experienced that slow down in Mega Man X3, in Toxic Seahorse's stage specifically. Using regular catsfc + N3DS

Catsfc is impressive, almost every single game I play, runs flawless. In fact Snes, nes GBA, GBC, and Sega Genesis all run perfect under RetroArch. Minus Gpsp crashing when you switch games.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
On my N3DS, most cores freeze the N3DS when you try to load another rom (SNES and Genesis at least), but it's not a big problem, it just require to close/reopen the emulator affter each game.

About slowdowns, remember some games have slowdowns on the real hardware (if a game have slowdowns on the real hardware, it seems normal to also have the same slowdowns with the emulated version).

Last edited by davhuit,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended