Gaming Which titles would you recommend that are great or often overlooked?

Danjal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I'll be getting a 3DS XL this christmas, and I've been looking around at the various games I could (and eventually want to / should) get.

So far I managed to get a few "First Pick" titles, that I know I'll enjoy.
Aswell as a number of titles I'd probably enjoy, but I wouldn't want to have as my 'only' game initially.
My question to you guys:
Are there any games that are glaringly missing from my list, or are there any games that are often 'overlooked' and not commonly found on most top 10/top 25 3DS lists.

I'm a big fan of RPG titles, tactical games and games with lots of story.
Less of a fan of games that rely on multiplayer elements (hence Mario Kart on the 'eventually' list) as I generally don't spend a lot of time playing multiplayer and focus mostly on singleplayer.
(And before you comment, Majora's Mask/Ocarina of Time are only on the eventually list because I've already played the originals and they have no high priority for me. ;))

I'm also a bit of a completionist, so the more there is to a game, the better.

Finally I'd also like to ask one question - Etrian Odyssey IV is pretty high on a lot of lists, however I'm not entirely sold on the map-drawing part. How does that "feel" while you're playing?
Cause it seems to me that its a bit of a chore that would distract from playing the game and would get you lost if you don't update it every few steps?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"First Pick"
Fantasy Life
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Bravely Default
"Later"
Pokemon X/Y
Rune Factory 4 (once it releases in EU)
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
One Piece: Unlimited World Red
Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Squids Odyssey
"Eventually"
Mario Kart 7
Super Smash Bros. 3DS
Various other Mario / Super Mario titles
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Majora's Mask
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
Professor Layton series
Phoenix Wright series

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yikes! Why is Smash on the 'Eventually' list? It's the 3DS title of the year IMO

but yeah this is a pretty unpopular pick but if you loved the original PilotWings, PilotWings Resort is like 10x as fun. Sadly I beat the game in around 6 hours of gameplay (not continuously though, so it took me a few days) and it's quite short but still worth the price

No idea if you're into the Kingdom Hearts series, if you are, maybe look into Dream Drop Distance? I haven't played it yet but it seems pretty promising

Danjal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yikes! Why is Smash on the 'Eventually' list? It's the 3DS title of the year IMO
I know its a great game - however I'm not a very competative/multiplayer kinda guy.
So if I was limited to a handful of games, Smash (and Mario Kart) would not be my personal picks.

Its a preference thing. ^^

Kingdom Hearts has always been a bit of an odd title to me - but I'll look into it!
Same for PilotWings. (Doesn't seem to be my thing, bit short and not much for repeating the same bit for better scores - thats why I dislike multiplayer, too repetative.)
Thanks for the suggestions.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hmm... I took the liberty to make some changes :)

"First Pick"
Fantasy Life
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (this belongs here!)
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Bravely Default
"Later"
Pokemon X/Y
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (should just put MH4U under "Eventually")
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
One Piece: Unlimited World Red (replace with Senran Kagura Burst because boobs and essentially the same game, I'm sorry you can't argue this one)
Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (meh :/)
Squids Odyssey
"Eventually"
Mario Kart 7
Super Smash Bros. 3DS
Various other Mario / Super Mario titles
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Majora's Mask
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Reactions: 19cookies

Danjal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not to certain I'd enjoy Animal Crossing as much as people praise it.
From what I understand its a game thats designed to be played over a long period of time - rather than more lengthy sessions with break intervals?
And if thats the case, I'm not particularly looking for a game that only comes to its right if you play it on a daily basis for weeks or months on end.

Though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

MH3/MH4 - if budget allows, I'd probably end up getting them both.
I'm primarily a PC player besides handhelds, so I never got around to trying the MH series even if people say its great.
I'll look into Senran Kagura Burst.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fire_Emblem_Awakening_box_art.png

Shin_Megami_Tensei_IV.jpg

Ace_Attorney_5_cover.jpg

Thank me later.

Reactions: Omninox

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Forget Kingdom Hearts, for the love for all that is holy, forget about it. If you like the KH franchise do yourself a favor and skip this game, cuz it's more confusing than the entire franchise put together and the combat is a disaster (roll into wall -> flowmotion -> jump and crash, rinse and repeat for victory).

EDIT: And flowmotion can't be turned off, only the attacks that can be performed in it can.

Reactions: Danjal

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Not to certain I'd enjoy Animal Crossing as much as people praise it.
From what I understand its a game thats designed to be played over a long period of time - rather than more lengthy sessions with break intervals?
I honestly don't know how you're supposed to play it. I recently bought a 3DS and AC:NL wouldn't have crossed my mind as a game I'd want, but I got it for very cheap so I gave it a shot. And I play it only a few times every week, for maybe one hour tops each time. It's very relaxing and makes you look forward to playing it the next time. You don't have to play it all the time. Though some of the characters will talk to you like "Oh, I thought you left town!" if you keep a week or longer between sessions. It's definitely a title to pick up alongside a 3DS. Seriously.

And get Senran Kagura Burst. Because boobs.

Danjal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
999, for DS, and its sequel, Virtue's Last Reward!
Had it on my vita through PS+ and played 999 on DS - had a hard time getting into the game though.
Get Rune factory 4. It only has everything (RPG. dating sim, farm sim, crafting and cooking shit without 3 year time limits)
Waiting on the EU release sadly... (*sigh* @ region-locks)
Else it probably would've been among my first picks.

Omninox

GBATemp's™ Retired Cheats Compiler
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fire_Emblem_Awakening_box_art.png

Shin_Megami_Tensei_IV.jpg

Ace_Attorney_5_cover.jpg

Thank me later.

+1 the games mentioned above and Bravely Default.

While I understand Animal Crossing is loved by many, I personally fee that that was not a game for me. :/

kid icarus uprising was fun.

Edit: Also Cave Story 3D

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
While I understand Animal Crossing is loved by many, I personally fee that that was not a game for me. :/
I went a full month not playing it because I couldn't care to play it with so much other/better games to play. But when I revisited it after that month, yup I'm still hooked. Getting into it was hard, though. At first it feels almost impossible to get anything done in short time, but it's very possible. And the game gives away a few hints at what you should do if you just talk enough to people. Because it's such a varied game though, every time you play will be a bit different. If you decide to start all over, your new town will be very different. It's just a unique game IMO that brings up Nintendo's strong points nicely. And the 3D is fantastic on 3DS. I've never said this much about an Animal Crossing game in my life before, so I hope whoever reads this can appreciate to try it for themselves later. Before AC:NL I've never played any sim/social game and typical games I play would include Mega Man Zero series, Ace Attorney series, arcade fighting games, etc. just to give you an idea of my previous experience with the genre itself.

Danjal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'll definitely be getting Animal Crossing: New Leaf at a later point.

If anyone has any other titles they would definitely recommend I'll look those up aswell.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Forget Kingdom Hearts, for the love for all that is holy, forget about it. If you like the KH franchise do yourself a favor and skip this game, cuz it's more confusing than the entire franchise put together and the combat is a disaster (roll into wall -> flowmotion -> jump and crash, rinse and repeat for victory).

EDIT: And flowmotion can't be turned off, only the attacks that can be performed in it can.
Actually, that was exactly what the system needed - flow and fluid gameplay.

I did not use these flow things to often, but they are great to move around and also to get out of tough combat situations if really needed. Everything before was a bit stale for my taste.

Do you like puzzles and a nice story? I recommend Professor Layton. : )

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bravely Default has random encounters

Fire Emblem makes you choose from like 8 difficulty levels including whether to turn permadeath on or off. cause like the people who made the damn game couldn't decide, so they ask ppl who never played a fire emblem game before to make the decision for them.

Danjal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Do you like puzzles and a nice story? I recommend Professor Layton. : )
I've played some of the Layton games on the DS, while fun - they're not really my thing.
Perhaps at a later point.
Bravely Default has random encounters

Fire Emblem makes you choose from like 8 difficulty levels including whether to turn permadeath on or off. cause like the people who made the damn game couldn't decide, so they ask ppl who never played a fire emblem game before to make the decision for them.
Lucky for me, I've played pretty much all the Fire Emblem games that have made it into the west. :P
I'm sure I'll manage there.

Marcus Aseth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I would suggest "Rune Factory 4", it is often overlooked,right?!

EDit: sorry,just noticed someone else suggested it :P

Master X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the EO series, you don't have to draw the entire map. Automapping will provide you with a basic map, though you do have to go in and detail it. (By basic map I mean it'll show land blocks.)

I'll see about getting shots of a automap and detailed map.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: