PS1/2 Which Swap Magic should I buy? 3.6 or 3.8?

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Like the title says, I've recently received a PS2 Phat from my cousin. I'm looking at modding it for myself with the Free Mcboot hack.

Is there a better version of the SM 3 to do this or will they both perform the same?

Do I need a slide card?

I can buy one from Cool PC and or Au-hackershardware

What do you guys recommend?

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you're going Free MC boot. they have a homebew app that does the same thing as swap magic and it's free.

But you should buy a Net adapt + HDD since you got a fat PS2. much easier in doing that than burning and storing disks.

edit: that app was called Cog swap....I think. They might have a better one out now. I stopped keeping up with PS2 stuff so I can't help you out past that.

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, but don't I need something like a Swap Magic to install the Cog Swap onto my PS2 mem card?

scooochie4

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
student.dcu.ie
XP
Country
pitoui said:
Thanks, but don't I need something like a Swap Magic to install the Cog Swap onto my PS2 mem card?

Yes, you will need some sort of cheat disk in order to install these things to begin with. The best versions of swap magic are 3.6 and 3.8 (coder version). Don't get any other version. These versions that I mentioned are the ones that allow you to load elfs from a usb device, which is needed to install free McBoot

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks mate.

I think I'll just grab the 3.8 version with coder. I don't think I'll grab the slider tool. I can just make one anyway.

Edit: Just bought the 3.8 from Cool PC. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah, could've saved some money using codebreaker v8 and up or gameshark...I myself recently used gameshark 2 v1.13 to install independent exploit into MC, and then installed FMCB via eLaunch

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey dude i would not have done that install FMCB THEN INSTALL ESR R9B ACTS JUST LIKE A MODCHIP
AND THERE IS NO SWAPPING.... could have saved some cash....

only thing about esr is you need to patch your iso with memento or esr gui patcher then burn it the game
will show up as a dvd-video unlocking the drive the booting the game amazing no swapping and the memory
card you create containing esr can be put into multiple ps2s for example says friends are over and they have
another ps2 put the card in theirs boot up the game take the card out and put it in your ps2 and waalah
your game will also boot.....

The best thing about esr vs swap magic swapmagic you eject the disc and your done even if by accident
you have to reboot and swap all over again....

In esr if you eject and put the game back in it will pick the game back up just like and original or a chipped
ps2 whereas swap magic does not....

I got like over 500 plus titles working in esr usa,pal and jap games man it's awesome but good luck with swap
magic..............

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey mate, I bought the Swap Magic to install the ESR and Free Mcboot.

I'm definately not going to swap my disks out each and every time I want to play a game... that's just stupid.

Is there any other way to install Free McBoot without using Swap Magic or any cheat disks like Gameshrk etc?

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I did it should be arriving tomorrow. It's just that Gisel was saying that he/she wouldn't have bought the Swap Magic and just installed the ESR patch. But I need the SM to install it anyways lol.

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, not the ESR patch, ESR patch is what you would need to patch your iso before you burn it. ESR is the program included in FMCB that boots backup games. ofc, to get ESR in would mean getting FMCB installed. Gisel obviously didn't read your first post and thought you were just going with swap magic period. Bloodgod looked like he didn't read your post about getting swap magic to install FMCB either...

Like i said above though, you could've save some money using a cheat disk instead of swap magic, but if you already bought it, then it's okay.

All you need to do now is boot ulaunch using swap magic. Once you're in ulaunch, plug in ur usb drive with the FMCB 1.8b noobie package (I would take out HDloader unless you plan to play using internal HDD). Browse thru ulaunch to ur mass storage and install FMCB, then u can pretty much store ur swap magic somewhere as u'll probably never use it again XD Remember that you do need to ESR patch ur iso for ESR to play em though...

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the in depth info mate.

I've got a great tutorial to read through tomorrow so it should be pretty easy to get it all up and running
smile.gif

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all the answers guys, install was very smooth, although at first my USB flash drive wasn't being recognised and it was giving me a black screen. I just switched USB flash drives and it worked great.

Just got my first backup to work
biggrin.gif

Edit: Where do I put elf files on my USB drive to get them to load on the PS2?

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you want to install additional apps, its as simple as launching ulaunch, when ur in ulaunch, plug in ur USB drive with the elf file, and copy and paste it over to the PS2 memory card. Unless you're talking abt launching the elf file from the USB drive? 0.o

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cool thanks. That's what I did, although now that I think of it, the elf file could have been too big for my memory card. I'll try again with a smaller file. Thanks again.

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried to put Code Breaker 10 onto my mem card but I thought it was a little too big. I think it was like 7megs or something.

I then tried a hacked Code Breaker 9.2 elf, and I ran that through my USB drive. It loaded, I ran the codes I wanted then, nothing happened... So that didn't work.

I then read a very very old forum post on another forum, how someone converted Action Replay codes to work with the Swap Magic coder. So I converted a code for GT4 and it worked!

The only thing now is that I have to swap out everytime I want to use a code, which sucks.

Do you have any good elf files that I can load onto my memory card or USB that have codes inbuilt?

I was thinking... is there an elf file for Swap Magic?

pitoui

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Damn it, Swap Magic 3.8 elf wont load on my PS2. Just gives me a black screen. Anyone know how to load the damn thing?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple