Which stores does GBAtemp trust when buying an R4ds?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Carlin, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Carlin
    OP

Newcomer Carlin Member

United States
    Looking to buy another R4 for my little brother, but can't remember the store I bought it from [​IMG] Which store does GBAtemp like ordering from?

THANKS [​IMG]

2. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    There are three stores that are recommended by GBATemp on the main page. If they have one in stock, buy from one of them.

3. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    For the people living in the United States, a great place I recommend would be Realhotstuff.com, but another place people order from is dealextreme.com and a few others. At Realhotstuff, you can use a coupon"SAVE5" to save 5% off I believe.

BTW, as a warning, people will come in here urging you to not get an R4. I would recommend that nowadays too. You can either ask why or just walk off with an R4.

EDIT: The 3 sites on the front will also be great. AS A WARNING, do not buy anything from DealExtreme that pretty much says "works just like an R4 or similar to an R4".

4. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Why an R4DS? They are ancient, they won't be updated any more except some compatibly fixes here and there and quite frankly, there are cheaper and better flashcards out there that have more features yet cost as much as half the price of an R4 in some cases.

5. kojigushi

Newcomer kojigushi Newbie

United States
    can you please elaborate which one should I get instead of R4? I have been very happy with R4 , (my son lost his)
    the only prob was no GBA support. I was looking at supercad with superkey or somethign, let me know which should I get instead
    I am in the market for new one ?

6. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Well, the best ones on the market are he Supercard and CycloDS, but they are a bit higher in price but have the most features and so on. Though for bargain flashcards, the Acekard 2 and the DSTT are very good choices. Not only do they support MicroSD cards bigger than 2 gigabytes (The max limit for the R4DS), they have more features, they are cheaper than the R4 now since the prices keep going up. There are many more flashcards out there better than the R4 but these are the more notable ones.

The R4DS was a decent card when it first came out, it was basically the typical flashcard on the market, sturdy, plays ROMs and so on but its ancient now, it can't be updated to add any new features due to hardware limitations and well, its showing its age. I'm surprised its receiving any more updates which from the looks of it, are slowing down.

If you want more detailed information on the flashcards above, check the reviews section or search the forums, theres plenty of information available for them.

Also NO flashcard supports GBA games, period. You need a slot 2 device for that. Theres no way to play GBA games on any slot 1 card. I recommend the EZ 3in1, its only around 10-20$ and slides into the GBA slot at the bottom of the DS and allows you to copy games over to it and play them as your Slot 1 card is able to play Nintendo DS games. It also has a built in RAM expansion and Rumble feature as well, hence the name 3 in 1 cart. With it, you can enable the rumble feature on your favorite Nintendo DS games and use homebrew and games that require the RAM expansion like the DS Browser.

7. Carlin
    OP

Newcomer Carlin Member

United States
    Thanks for the reply [​IMG]

The CycloDS is looking interesting (and simple :-D). I can move .sav from my r4ds to the cyclo no problem right?

8. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    I'm pretty sure you can. Otherwise you'd have to use the Save converter. But I'm sure the saves work as the saves to convert to under R4 is listed with the Cyclo.

9. R4Chuck

Newcomer R4Chuck Member

Bahamas, The
    If you have your heart set on the R4, I highly recommend purchasing from realhotstuff.com. They had my cart on my doorstep in two days.

10. Carlin
    OP

Newcomer Carlin Member

United States

Ended up buying the Cyclos from realhotstuff (place where I bought my old R4)

thanks everyon!

11. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Good Choice. It will serve you well.

12. fabulo

Newcomer fabulo Advanced Member

United States
    have you heard volumerate? i think that's good and reliable.

13. vivienne

Newcomer vivienne Member

Australia
    I like it very much. I bought from them.

14. kojigushi

Newcomer kojigushi Newbie

United States
    so I guess I can buy a cyloDS and a EZ 3in1 put the cyclo in ds slot and 3in1 in gba slot and add gba games to it?
    or does ez 3in1 need a pairing with a different ds card?
    thanks for your elaborate reply NArin

15. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    i got mine from www.gadget-asia.com works great! free shipping too.

16. ravagekd

Newcomer ravagekd Member

United States
    i know you already purchased the Cyclo, but I got my R4 from RealHotStuff as well as a number of my buddies - none of us had any issues with RHS in the least. My problem with getting an R4 from them nowadays would be the ridiculously high price tag the R4 has climbed to on there

the ez3in1 is very easy to use. run ExpLoader.nds from your slot1 device and all the options will be open to you from there. You can run .gba files from the slot1 or, preferably, copy them to the 3in1 to be run from there. given the 3in1 also is a rumble device and a memory expansion, it's a phenomenal value for your money. The only drawback i have with it is that you have to load the memory expansion or turn on rumble features every time you boot the system and that the settings dont "stick" with the card - but it takes little to no time to go in, make your setting, and soft reset back to your card's filesystem. For the money and the versatility though, it's a great little device.

17. Swip

Member Swip GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I think the cyclo can boot gba games with the 3 in 1 through its menu without the need for gbaexploader