Which Sonic Advance title is most like the Genesis games?

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by Vague Rant, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Vague Rant
    OP

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    I've been trying to find a decent Sonic game after a recent playthough of 1-3&K, and I was wondering which of the Sonic Advance games is closest in feel to those games. I've played the first Sonic Advance, and it felt exceedingly lame; speed is fun in Sonic games, but not when that one word is the entire game mechanic. The Sonic Rush games both have this same problem, it's a matter of holding right and knowing when to jump, presumably through rote memorisation, which is likewise boring. I've read some reviews which say SA3 has the most exploration and platforming content, but it's also the lowest ranked of the three on Metacritic. That said, SA1 is the highest ranked, and that was awful, so I can assume that the scores don't mean a lot.

So anyway, which would you people recommend? Note: if you haven't played the Genesis games, go away, I don't care what you think.

2. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    I most enjoyed Sonic Advance 2 but then I also enjoyed the Rush games.

3. Jasonage

Member Jasonage GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Well I'd probably vote for SA3, but none of them will ever be as close as good to the genesis games.

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    The first Sonic Advance is the most like the original games, the other two are just "PRESS RIGHT AND JUMP EVERY NOW AND AGAIN!".

5. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I actually liked Sonic Advance (the first one). Of course, it wasn't nearly as great as Sonic 1, 2, 3 and CD, but it was at least fun. Sonic Advance 2 and 3 were really bad in my opinion. It just... wasn't fun anymore.

Sonic Rush is an entirely different case. Both Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure are really good. But still, the Genesis-games are far superior.

Honestly, I don't think any other Sonic-game comes close to the Genesis-games. The new Sonic is completely different, and I'm lucky to actually like him a bit. (That is, the DS-games, most of the consolegames suck.)

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I've played through all of Sonic Advance (except the final final boss level) and from my point of view, it gets slower and more exploration-oriented in the later levels. If you can make it through the first few worlds, you might find what you're looking for.

7. Vague Rant
    OP

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Thanks very much for the recommendations, guys. I'll play the first one again and try to get a little further into it to see how much better it gets later.

8. MADKATZ99

Member MADKATZ99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    lol, very nice..

I agree with pretty much everyone in the thread so far when they say nothing will really come near the genisis games, but if any game was great enough to come even slightly close enough to compare them it would have to be the first sonic advance IMO.

I was so keen for that game, bought it from big W for $86.84 [​IMG] And yes the price tag is on the box, im not some kind of loser that remembers how much games cost 5 years ago.

I really love it, the only thing I could change about it is after you collect all the chaos emeralds I'd like the ability to turn super sonic at will when you collect 50 coins instead of being restricted to one leval where you can be super sonic.... but it is a pretty sweet game.. The boss is the same ones from S&K and other sonic games!!!

I borrowed Sonic advance 2 or 3 from a friend but didn't really like how you have to collect the chaos emeralds and it was a bit too hard I think... But I didn't finish it so I can't acuratley compare them.

Sonic rush wasn't that bad of an effort... I was hating it at the time because it was nothing like the genesis games, but looking back on it now it was a pretty decent. Didn't get into adventure, too much chat and adventuring for my liking.

S&K + Sonic 3 = best sonic game in the universe.

9. Cynder-Waluigi_K

Newcomer Cynder-Waluigi_K Member

United States
    Sonic Advance 3 is by far my favorite, but it isnt like the Genesis...

You can be Knuckles, Tails, Amy, and Cream.... still similar to Genisis Games (not like the boosting in Sonic Rush)

10. gokujr1000

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I think the first one is and the sonic rush series is simillar

11. DokiDoki98

Member DokiDoki98 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No the rush is more like super mario world+sonic advanced 3.

I think the original one is the most like the genesis.

12. gokujr1000

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    now that I think of it I do agree with you about rush