Which Sidekick should I kick it with...lol

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by JinTrigger, Jun 12, 2010.

Jun 12, 2010
  1. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    I wanted to know which sidekick I should settle for...the slide, III, or LX. My supervisor is giving me her old slide, I can buy a III for $80, or I can save up for the newer LX series. Looking up the slide I think its an ok phone for me to have, but I wanted to hear everyone's opinion. What's the advantages of each and disadvantages. I need some comparisons.

2. apb407

Member apb407 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    how old aare you just wondering ? I didnt even know people bought sidekicks anymore lol mabye its just in NY theyre dead

3. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    After using a Sidekick II and later a Sidekick 2008
    I have to say in all honesty, they're not cutting edge nor worth the additional service fee unless you just flat out don't want to learn a different phone interface.

I am still using a Sidekick 2008 because of my god**** mother****ing 2 year contract and I'm getting the hell off T-Mobile the day it is through. I've already cancelled my data service, and being a T-Mobile customer for 5 or 6 straight years they still won't offer me a cheap service plan to suffer through the last couple months. I use approximately 25 minutes a month, regardless of nights and weekends, or in-network calling, or faves, or w/e, and about 10 text messages at MOST. And I haven't been able to opt for a plan lower than $30 a month + TXT fees? (I'm currently at $40 a month because they don't disclose the TXT fees on their damn billing site.) They have milked me enough.

edit:
    I re-read your post, and I didn't even take into account that you could be getting it free. I paid $300 for my Sidekick 2008, when it was released, and that was with the 2 year agreement. The only reason I thought it was worth it then was because G3 and better service was not an option to me, and I wanted to be able to use instant messaging service with a qwerty keyboard anywhere.
    Last time I checked, about a year ago, Sidekicks didn't allow you to use the phone as a modem or an internet access device through bluetooth or an adapter, which was pathetic. I had a slim Samsung phone between the SK-II and the SK2008 and the Samsung phone not only was free as a replacement from T-Mobile without extending a contract, it was able to use MP3 ringtones so long as they were not longer than like 30 seconds, it was usable as a modem over bluetooth, and I could upload my own wallpapers to it.
    The Sidekick is a content device that makes you pay for as much as possible - from almost every type of ringtone - their library is pretty big - they still only have a couple dozen crappy free ones and only a handful of those are actually musical. The ratio of free to pay-for-download apps, games, ringtones, themes, and wallpapers is like 1 to 40. Have you seen the DSi Shop? There's like 3 free things, and 300 things that come with a price. It's like that, except the Sidekick series and compatible downloadable content has been around for 7ish(?) years.

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    you can just get an LG Ally (which comes with droid os) for about the same price and comes with a slide out keyboard

5. JinTrigger
    OP

United States
    @Exangel
    Eh...sorry you feel that way bout T-Mobile. I always enjoyed their services and they have to be better than boost. So your saying there would be no way to send songs to myself through email/texting or going to a site to download them straight on the phone? that would suck.

hmmm...an LG Ally. I'll have to check into that. I dunno I just always wanted a sidekick growing up (Don't ask why), but that was some time ago when I wanted one (when I was like 13 or 14).. And I'll be 19 this coming Monday apd407 n_n

6. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    You can only change the ringtones in the Sidekick models I have used, by purchasing them through the store. I don't know if it's different for the models available to you, but you can probably find out before you sign up for service.
    You also must have the Sidekick data service to use any instant messaging features or shop in their store, which doesn't bother me so much EXCEPT on cheaper phones (like the Samsung I used to have) there was no additional charge for instant messaging features with my service plan -.- What it boils down to is, the free Samsung I used cost $40 a month (no contract) and the $300 Sidekick cost $68/mo (2-yr contract), to do the same things, except I couldnt customize ringtones or wallpapers free. The ultimate reason I had "upgraded" to the device was prior familiarity with the brand and the qwerty keypad, which is a common option on phones with cheaper service these days.

7. JinTrigger
    OP

United States
    I currently have the slide in my possession and thats the only thing that irritates me about is that you cant get free ringtones. I have an LX on the way. If I don't like the LX imma just sell the Slide and the LX and get another phone.