Which should I buy? DSI XL, 3DS, PS3 orWii?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Vanth88, Feb 16, 2011.

Feb 16, 2011
  1. Vanth88
    OP

Member Vanth88 Private

United States
    Where to begin? I just got 500 dollars and I'm in need of gbatemp's help. I wanna buy a new game system and use the most out of my money and yet in the most cost effective way. I'm not sure which one to get. You see I'm a homebrew man and I love homebrew. I love it so much that I look at homebrew before buying any system and its a big factor in the total value but I'm not sure which to get.

Out of all of the stuff(including other systems and the games for them) I decided on 4 systems:
    DSi XL: If the 3DS doesn't support homebrew through dstwo then this is the next best thing. With Dstwo, a 16mb micro sd and a giant DS screen, this would be a big upgrade to my DS Lite and its cheap too
    3DS: only problem I have with this is if DStwo will work on it or not and if it doesn't then there's a 5 month waiting period which I'd be very sad and systemless
    PS3: with the new release of CFW and the dongle, the system has skyrocketed in value for me however its the most pricey and I'd have to buy a 750GB(when I go homebrew, I do it right)
    Wii: owned this system before, modded it, sold it, regretted it, easiest to mod and I have everything needed to mod the system(including an external HD) worried I might get bored of it again though

So... my question is which one would you suggest?

*EDIT* For the 3DS I meant if the dstwo doesn't work on the 3ds to play DS homebrew. That's why I have the DSi XL on here

2. MrCooper

Member MrCooper GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Don't get the DSi XL get the DSi if you're going to do that. More battery life and less upscaling. Go for the PS3.

plz note im a sony fanboy

3. PeregrinFig

Member PeregrinFig A miserable little pile of secrets

United States
    I love my XL, but if you're happy with an older model of DS, just keep it and get a 3DS. You could also get a Wii and mod it, but the Wii's library gets old a lot faster than the DS's. I don't own a PS3 so I can't say much on that. The 3DS looks like it'll be great, but you'll probably have to buy your games for it, at least for a while. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that, if you can afford to do so.

4. stylow

Member stylow GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Go for the ps3. With the new cfw there will be loads of homebrew

5. MrCooper

Member MrCooper GBAtemp Regular

United States
    And you could save money by buying a low memory model and buying a big HDD afterwards

6. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    What? You got it wrong my friend. DSi battery life is worse than DSi XL.

7. Vanth88
    OP

Member Vanth88 Private

United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS the only thing better than the XL is the lite

I'm surprised by the amount of replies I got in such a short time so thanks everyone. If anyone wants to add anything else then please, the more replies the better.

8. trumpet-205

United States
    Okay, here is my opinion,

* 3DS is not a successor of DSi XL. Unless they push 3DS XL into the market.
    * We don't know when 3DS will be hacked, if any. So until such hack exist there will be no homebrew.
    * Wii is an excellent homwbrew/emulation console. You can get new/used one at a good price now.
    * PS3 homwbrew scene is still relatively new, expensive than Wii. In terms of homwbrew not as strong as Wii although it'll grow.

Homebrew value,

Wii > DSi XL > PS3 > 3DS.

9. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. The DSi has crappier battery life, and the DSi XL doesn't do upscaling. [​IMG]

10. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Not only is ps3 is new to homebrew, Sony is going hard on it. :/

11. trumpet-205

United States
    Some people find DSi XL to be more pixelated, others don't feel that way. You have to try one to find out.

12. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    The DSi XL: It's magic.

13. GH0ST

Member GH0ST Your Hero is a Ghost

France
    DSI XL has improved battery life over the DSi on all brightness settings; for example, batteries last 13–17 hours on the lowest level of brightness. The DSi has a battery life of 9–14 hours on the lowest brightness setting, compared to the 15–19 hours of the DS Lite on the same setting.

14. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    Is it just me, or are most of the posts in this thread blank?

15. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    If you want pure homebrew, go for the Wii. It can emulate most systems, and require minimal hacking knowledge to soft mod. It also has many original homebrew projects and ports. It is also backed by the Wii's mostly cool library, and great VC and WiiWare library.

3DS: Its gonna have a great run, and I hope to God it doesn't get hacked. If homebrew is your biggest factor, better to go with one or more of the above systems.

DSiXL: Absolutely, and if you're really from the US, then you will find some great deals to cut the costs even further.

PS3: No. Especially if you hold online gaming in high regards. With the newest updates and such, you have to chose between one or the other.

All the Nintendo Systems are great. Not only easy to mod, but easy to pirate and avoid paying for games. I don't condone it, but it seems it isn't just homebrew you're after. If you can, keep your lite for a choice few applications (Colors! being a notable one that doesn't work correctly on the DSi lines) that only work properly on older DS systems. If you can, I highly recommend getting both a Wii and XL.

16. Vanth88
    OP

Member Vanth88 Private

United States
    I know this is a very late reply and I really hope the mods don't hate me as I don't want to bump this post but just provide an update to everyone who contributed so I thought I'd post an update(I hate when people dont with questions like this).

I went ahead and bought a PS3 from Kmart 2 days after I posted this and the posts really helped in my decision.

I decided to stay with my lite after trying out the XL and finding out its really not that different except for the larger screen so really I'd just be playing the same games. I went against the Wii knowing there wasn't that many games I'd like to try after getting rid of it a year ago and there wasn't that many newer homebrew I'd like to try either. I eventually went with the PS3 after realizing that buying the 3DS this early wouldn't be a smart move considering no one knows the potential for homebrew yet except playing DS games.

Again if the mods hate me for this, I'm sorry, but I just wanted to post an update.

17. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    EDIT: Ohey didn't check dates. Lol.

Good choice.

Though you need to stop worrying about DS homebrew.
    It's all basically terrible. The only worthwhile DS homebrew is lemmings and a media player. Though i'm sure by homebrew you're talking more about playing backups then anything.

18. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Like I said. Colors!, Nitro Tracker, PPSEDS, iKuReader, and there are several more that would not only be worthwhile, but still receive updates. Then there are few WIPs that are still going, and the ROM hacking scene is still strong. DS is gonna be a very popular system for a few years to come.

19. Shockwind

Member Shockwind GBATemp's Official The Last of Us Fan

Philippines
    Why would most of the posts are blank? Maybe this is your opinion "Some members are giving useless opinion to the one who is going to buy a gadget." Am I right? [​IMG]

20. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    3DS nuff said