Which Pokemon game to play?

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by R2DJ, Oct 7, 2009.

?

3rd Gen game...

1. Ruby

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sapphire

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. FireRed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. LeafGreen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Emerald

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Oct 7, 2009

Which Pokemon game to play? by R2DJ at 4:58 PM (2,910 Views / 0 Likes) 27 replies

1. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I've finished my goals in SoulSilver (to catch the exclusive Pokemon and a handful of legendaries with important items attached to them, ready to trade to HG when I buy it) and there's nothing to do with Platinum. I'm craving for more Pokemanz! I wanna try a 3rd Generation game. Can anyone suggest which game I should play? Please answer the poll. Can you also state the reason why? Thanks [​IMG]

I know that some of them are very similar to others, but there are important differences as well i.e. exclusive Pokemon, legendaries, and others. I've played them 3 years ago but I got stuck somewhere. Now that I know the new concepts (back then when I played them, I didn't know stuff like abilities, EV training, etc.)

2. TheOtakuOverlord

Newcomer TheOtakuOverlord Member

United Kingdom
    I'd recommend playing FireRed or LeafGreen. They're great games and they're the most recent of the 3rd generation so there are more newer features on it compared to R/S. Plus, it's always nice to start at the beginning [​IMG]

3. outgum

Member outgum Pokemanz Master

New Zealand
    I recommend Fire Red, If your waiting for the new SS/HG release its a good way to refresh your head on the kanto region, and also its a generally good game, I would tell your to play the NORMAL silver, but thats not up there, so play Fire Red XD

4. Jotokun

Member Jotokun GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'd recommend Emerald. R/S/E has a bit of a different feel to it than the other games in the series, but its by no means a bad thing, and Emerald corrected many of the wrongs in Ruby and Sapphire. Yes, near the end of the game there is ALOT of time spent in water, which has given them a bad rep, but this is the internet, and things tend to get blown out of proportion.

FireRed/LeafGreen are more or less the same with slightly different catchable pokemon in them, and I"d recommend them, but ONLY if you've played the original red and blue(or green and yellow). Otherwise, you wont appreciate the battle background music because it'll feel forced and you'll have nothing to compare it to, and quickly tire of it.

Ruby/Sapphire aren't outright bad, but they're easily the weakest, and you should avoid them if you can play emerald instead. The only reason to go to them is for expanded versions of the magma/aqua subplots.

5. Rogue Trader

Member Rogue Trader GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Fire Red/ Leaf Green , they're pretty awesome games (not quite as fantastic as Blue/Red) but they have updated graphics and generally similar storyline.

Go for Emerald over Ruby/Sapphire, as it's just better.

so FR/LG>Emerald>R/S- sorted.

6. d3co

Newcomer d3co Advanced Member

Germany
    I recommend Emerald, I liked it very much.. You can catch more Legendaries there than in Ruby/Saphire.

7. pcmanrules

Member pcmanrules GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    I'd go with FireRed because it's quite fun and friendly. Any one will keep you occupied for many hours though.

8. Todderbert

Member Todderbert GBAtemp Fan

United States
    FireRed, I have over 100 hours clocked on that bad boy. Have fun!

9. WeakNiZ

Member WeakNiZ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Start from the OG series.

10. flarkenhoffy

Newcomer flarkenhoffy Newbie

United States
    My vote is for Emerald. I'm actually playing through it right now. I played through FireRed when it came out and absolutely loved it, though I was a huge fan of the original games, so it was just that, but better. It also seems that most people have said Emerald, and rightfully so; I've heard a lot of great things about it, and playing through it now I can see why so many people like it.

Lastly, if you aren't aware of it already, you should go to Psypoke (I'm not affiliated with the site, I just really like it). It's an indispensable resource for everything related to the games.

11. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I've already played them many years ago (when I was about 10). The 3rd gen ones are the only ones that I really didn't enjoy when I played them 3 years ago.

12. MsBroccoli

Banned MsBroccoli Banned

United States
    I'd say either FireRed or LeafGreen; R/S/E were a little boring.

13. spm12

Newcomer spm12 Advanced Member

United States
    get like a spin wheel and get all the pokemonz 4 the ds and spin it... were it land u play lol

14. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    I highly recommend to play Emerald after you beat LeafGreen or FieryRed first.

15. BilliePop

Newcomer BilliePop Advanced Member

United States
    Totally go for Emerald. It has a ton more shit you can do after you're done with the Pokemon League.

16. EliteKill

Member EliteKill GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got original Fire Red and Emerald and I must say that Emerald is better only thanks to the Battle Frontier, which will test your skills and lengthen your game by many more hours

17. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    ShinyGold all the way. By far one of (if not the) best Pokemon hacks around.

18. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    FireRed. I've spent the most time playing this game than compared to any other game. There's so much to do after the E4, like the Sevii Islands etc. Emerald is great too, there's a lot of things to do after the E4 as well, like the Battle Frontier, Latios/Latias, Contests etc.

19. outgum

Member outgum Pokemanz Master

New Zealand
    Guild beat me to it....
    Shiney Gold, It is the best pokemon hack around like guild said, i recommed!

20. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    Emerald. FireRed is a bit too Old for 3rd Generation Games...even though they Updated the Graphics in that Game. Emerald is a bit more Interesting and not Too Old. You can get the Featured Hoenn Region Pokemon, rather than getting only the Kanto and Johto Pokemon in FireRed.